Author Topic: Woj, Stein, & Lowe - C's and Sixers in serious talks for #1 pick  (Read 106580 times)

Re: Woj, Stein, & Lowe - C's and Sixers in serious talks for #1 pick
« Reply #630 on: October 22, 2017, 06:44:30 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
If the draft was redone knowing how Fultz is doing now, where would Fultz be picked?

Suddenly getting someone like fox or DSJ seems Much more attractive than grabbing fultz. I could see fultz dropping anywhere from 7 to 11

Ball and Smith would likely go ahead of him and he'll be battling with Fox for the 3rd PG off the board.
you think Smith has jumped that high? no way hes over Fox

Yeah, I absolutely do. Smith has looked sensational and now looks fully recovered from the knee injury in high school. Last year he didn't have this level of explosiveness.
idk Fox has looked great too and Smith has continued to have knee issues since being drafted.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #631 on: October 22, 2017, 08:13:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Great great trade by Danny

Celtics dodged a bullet by not drafting Fultz

« Reply #632 on: October 22, 2017, 08:44:39 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Fultz will be a bust. It was obvious to me prior to the draft. His college career proved to me that he is not a winner. If you put a legit future star on any college team, they won't finish 9-22 regardless of how bad their team is. They're playing against people whom a majority aren't even d league quality players and will have desk jobs in a few years. Scouts just saw a guy who could put moves on crappy college players and completely disregarded his ability to play as a team and make his teammates better. He is no star and he bailed on his team with fake injuries. Actually he's a perfect fit for the Sixers. His ceiling is something like JR smith. Never a star though.

« Reply #633 on: October 22, 2017, 09:03:08 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Fultz will be a bust. It was obvious to me prior to the draft. His college career proved to me that he is not a winner. If you put a legit future star on any college team, they won't finish 9-22 regardless of how bad their team is. They're playing against people whom a majority aren't even d league quality players and will have desk jobs in a few years. Scouts just saw a guy who could put moves on crappy college players and completely disregarded his ability to play as a team and make his teammates better. He is no star and he bailed on his team with fake injuries. Actually he's a perfect fit for the Sixers. His ceiling is something like JR smith. Never a star though.
exactly.

« Reply #634 on: October 22, 2017, 10:02:05 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 532
Fultz will be a bust. It was obvious to me prior to the draft. His college career proved to me that he is not a winner. If you put a legit future star on any college team, they won't finish 9-22. regardless of how bad their team is. They're playing against people whom a majority aren't even d league quality players and will have desk jobs in a few years. Scouts just saw a guy who could put moves on crappy college players and completely disregarded his ability to play as a team and make his teammates better. He is no star and he bailed on his team with fake injuries. Actually he's a perfect fit for the Sixers. His ceiling is something like JR smith. Never a star though.
It's early and I don't think anyone will be able to accurately judge Fultz for at least 3 seasons - that said, what you mention always concerned me.  Doesn't matter what league you're in, a guy who can score and is supposed to be as good as he was hyped to be should get you more than than 9 wins.  But I wouldn't label him a bust just yet. His career is just starting and he was never expected to be a star on Day 1 of his NBA career. He does seem to be able to get to the basket and score or draw fouls but other parts of his game are certainly lacking big time right now.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 10:31:28 PM by Kuberski33 »

« Reply #635 on: October 22, 2017, 10:22:43 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Way too early to judge ANYONE to be busts.

« Reply #636 on: October 23, 2017, 01:50:10 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics

I agree, but still, Tatum will be better player, which is already obvious. Tatum seeks the play, wants the ball, shows activity on court, which I don't see any of from Fultz.

« Reply #637 on: October 23, 2017, 01:52:12 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
the sixers  are starting to have serious concerns about fultz

« Reply #638 on: October 23, 2017, 02:30:53 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310

I agree that it's way too early, for me you should give a rookie class 3 years minimum before you have some semblance of a players identity, Fultz doesn't look like a superstar, but IMO none of this draft has that ceiling. It looks like there could be several All-Stars in the mix but the label 'bust' is all relative to your expectations.

« Reply #639 on: October 23, 2017, 02:44:52 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

I agree that it's way too early, for me you should give a rookie class 3 years minimum before you have some semblance of a players identity, Fultz doesn't look like a superstar, but IMO none of this draft has that ceiling. It looks like there could be several All-Stars in the mix but the label 'bust' is all relative to your expectations.
how many years did Bennett get by the Cavs?

« Reply #640 on: October 23, 2017, 03:00:25 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310

If you look at the measurables of Bennett and some highlights of his games, he is actually ridiculously talented but either the BBIQ wasn't there or his heart, I'd guess the latter. If someone doesn't really want to be a professional and only doing it for the money than he's never going to fulfil his potential. 2013 Draft was more of an aberration given the lack of talent in that class.

« Reply #641 on: October 23, 2017, 07:23:34 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736

If you look at the measurables of Bennett and some highlights of his games, he is actually ridiculously talented but either the BBIQ wasn't there or his heart, I'd guess the latter. If someone doesn't really want to be a professional and only doing it for the money than he's never going to fulfil his potential. 2013 Draft was more of an aberration given the lack of talent in that class.
I'd amend that to say the draft was an aberration based on how the talent wound up being disbursed. Mccollum at 10, Giannis at 15, Gobert at 27. And there were lots of solid rotation guys like Adams, Schroder, Dieng, Crabbe, Olynyk, Hardaway after the top ten.

Even that top ten had guys likely to be starters in the league for a long time (Oladipo, Porter, Noel, KCP) but maybe not a single all star among them. But that draft, weirdly, doesn't look quiet too bad now, from a talent standpoint.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #642 on: October 23, 2017, 07:52:27 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
While it may take some time for the true value of Fultz and Tatum to be realised, I think Philly got stung on this deal. Despite the small sample of game time, I would much rather have Tatum than Fultz both now and for potential.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I imagine the Philly decision makers asking themselves, why didn't we see what Danny saw? DA must have had a reason to make a deal like this. The Celtics organisation have a proven record for spotting talent (including recent moves). Sure, the Celtics had IT and Rozier and Fultz wouldn't fill an area of need, but DA had usually taken the best player available. Moreover, once it became apparent Danny didn't want Fultz, the 76ers could have let DA take his pick at one, Ball was always going to LAL and Fultz would be available at three. As much as Philly must have really wanted Fultz, Danny doesn't give him up if he doesn't have serious doubts. Maybe the ceilings of Fultz and Tatum are closer than I imagine and perhaps Fultz develops into a very special player, at the moment though I think Danny's decision looks like a winner.

I doubt Fultz is a bust but I haven't seen anything to suggest he will be a franchise player or even an all star. Tatum on the other hand has a body to grow into and he is already producing like a much more seasoned player. If the pick the Celtics picked up turns into anything or nothing, I doubt it matters, they already won by picking Tatum.

« Reply #643 on: October 23, 2017, 08:17:46 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

lol mr overreaction guy, yeah some guy are busts, but not all people who plays bad or doesnt shine in their first years end up becoming one. One year isnt enough to determine what a player will become. Remember, MCW was ROY, but would you take him over Giannis at this point? Heck I'd take Kelly over him.

« Reply #644 on: October 23, 2017, 09:09:19 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I think I see what may have made DA and Stevens back away from Fultz. On that FT video that had been posted in an other thread, look at his face. No focus, lack of concentration. And Body language of "I don't want to be here" all over the place. This was a knock on him, bad body language, but this really showed it.

I had jumped on the Fultz train after we got the #1 pick, but something always ate at me about him, he didn't feel right. Before that, I was liking Jackson, a lot and earlier in the year Ball, but the tourney and his dad really made me jump off that train.

Then Dicky V said something about the C's drafting Tatum at the 1 spot, so I check out is videos, and thought if the C's didn't go after Jackson, I'd really like this kid. So when they made that trade, I thought they really didn't like Fultz and wanted either Tatum or Jackson.

You can see Stevens really  asserting his style in the draft the last few years. It's either or a combo of high energy, high IQ,High Drive and High competitiveness, when it comes to who he's looking at.

I'm not sure Futlz right now has any of that.