Author Topic: Woj, Stein, & Lowe - C's and Sixers in serious talks for #1 pick  (Read 106824 times)

Re: Woj, Stein, & Lowe - C's and Sixers in serious talks for #1 pick
« Reply #585 on: June 17, 2017, 10:22:21 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
The negative nellies here need to get a grip. Ainge knows better than we do.

THIS^^^^^^^

He has more knowledge and information.

That doesn't mean he's always right.

I agree 100% with this pithy statement.  It doesn't help us evaluate the current deal however. 

« Reply #586 on: June 17, 2017, 10:24:25 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
I'm curious,  the rumor is #1 for #3, plus LAL 2018, and Philly 2021? Or possibly SAC 2019?

Anyway,

What if the rumor was #1 to Phoenix for #4 plus the two picks that Miami owes to Phoenix?  The assumption being that Ball, Jackson, and Fultz would be off the board at #4. Do we still do it?

« Reply #587 on: June 17, 2017, 10:32:06 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
And, as an aside, don't put words in my mouth. I made no such admission.

Bro, you can't even admit that Ainge's process is exponentially superior to yours? Are you serious? You admit that he has more knowledge and information, but you think your evaluation process is in the same ballpark as his? Get real. Admit it.

I'm not sure that you know what "exponentially" means.

Danny's process is better. Is it "exponentially" better than that of the experts that fans follow? Game film, analytics, measurements, etc. are all available to the public.

Results matter. If you compared Danny's picks to, say, Jonathon Givony, would there be an "exponential" difference? Again, unless you don't know what the word means, the answer is clearly no.

Bro. Lol.

Ah, so "your" process is relying on DraftExpress. You think an NBA franchise like the Celtics don't have an exponentially* better evaluation process for reviewing film/stats/measurements than an all-purpose fan-directed quasi-pro draft website?

*Not literally involving exponents
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #588 on: June 17, 2017, 10:35:07 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
And, as an aside, don't put words in my mouth. I made no such admission.

Bro, you can't even admit that Ainge's process is exponentially superior to yours? Are you serious? You admit that he has more knowledge and information, but you think your evaluation process is in the same ballpark as his? Get real. Admit it.

I'm not sure that you know what "exponentially" means.

Danny's process is better. Is it "exponentially" better than that of the experts that fans follow? Game film, analytics, measurements, etc. are all available to the public.

Results matter. If you compared Danny's picks to, say, Jonathon Givony, would there be an "exponential" difference? Again, unless you don't know what the word means, the answer is clearly no.

Bro. Lol.

Ah, so "your" process is relying on DraftExpress. You think an NBA franchise like the Celtics don't have an exponentially* better evaluation process for reviewing film/stats/measurements than an all-purpose fan-directed quasi-pro draft website?

*Not literally involving exponents

No, frankly, I don't. My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #589 on: June 17, 2017, 10:35:33 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Forums are much more palatable when you understand armchair experts are infinitely more skilled in talent evaluation and have far more up to the minute information at their disposal than those with lifelong careers working at the coalface.

My sides, lol. TP.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #590 on: June 17, 2017, 10:36:29 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I'm curious,  the rumor is #1 for #3, plus LAL 2018, and Philly 2021? Or possibly SAC 2019?

Anyway,

What if the rumor was #1 to Phoenix for #4 plus the two picks that Miami owes to Phoenix?  The assumption being that Ball, Jackson, and Fultz would be off the board at #4. Do we still do it?

No. We don't need borderline lottery picks.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #591 on: June 17, 2017, 10:41:18 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Forums are much more palatable when you understand armchair experts are infinitely more skilled in talent evaluation and have far more up to the minute information at their disposal than those with lifelong careers working at the coalface.

Billy King had more assets at his disposal. Were fans who disagreed with him inherently wrong, too?

Many, many fans preferred DeAndre Jordan to J.R. Giddens. We're all the rubes sitting at their computers just morons who should have genuflected to Danny and his up to the minute information?

« Reply #592 on: October 22, 2017, 01:29:29 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Over 4 months later and how quickly things change. A lot of people were deadset against this deal and with the way Tatum has looked, as well as Fultz' disastrous shooting woes, it's safe to say Danny knows best.

« Reply #593 on: October 22, 2017, 01:41:45 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Over 4 months later and how quickly things change. A lot of people were deadset against this deal and with the way Tatum has looked, as well as Fultz' disastrous shooting woes, it's safe to say Danny knows best.

It's still far too early to come to any fixed conclusions on the deal, but the early returns pretty clearly support the premises that:

- Tatum was the better choice and
- we would've taken him #1 if the trade hadn't happened.

Which leads to believing that we got a high draft pick in exchange for not having to pay Tatum as much  ;D  But again, PLENTY of time for more info to change that.

« Reply #594 on: October 22, 2017, 01:47:00 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I think it’s best to wait until the middle of the season at least.

« Reply #595 on: October 22, 2017, 02:02:37 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

I agree, but that didn't stop all the strong opinions against the trade before either player even wore a jersey. That said, if the draft were redone today I would strongly doubt Fultz is still #1 on too many boards.

« Reply #596 on: October 22, 2017, 02:06:04 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

I agree, but that didn't stop all the strong opinions against the trade before either player even wore a jersey. That said, if the draft were redone today I would strongly doubt Fultz is still #1 on too many boards.

Oh, yes, how dare anyone conduct draft evaluations? The audacity of some people.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #597 on: October 22, 2017, 02:10:58 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Oh, yes, how dare anyone conduct draft evaluations? The audacity of some people.

Wait, so what you're saying is it's okay to have strong convictions prior to the draft, but it's premature to have an opinion based on actual NBA footage? It's fluid, but in that fluidity it's safe to say right now, October 22, 2017, Tatum is clearly the better player, has the most longterm potential between the two (Tatum vs Fultz), and Ainge was undoubtedly correct.

« Reply #598 on: October 22, 2017, 02:36:51 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Wait, so what you're saying is it's okay to have strong convictions prior to the draft, but it's premature to have an opinion based on actual NBA footage? It's fluid, but in that fluidity it's safe to say right now, October 22, 2017, Tatum is clearly the better player, has the most longterm potential between the two (Tatum vs Fultz), and Ainge was undoubtedly correct.

Yes, I think drawing conclusions from a season of college basketball is more reasonable than from 3 games of NBA basketball. I do not believe this is a hot take.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #599 on: October 22, 2017, 02:46:35 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Yes, I think drawing conclusions from a season of college basketball is more reasonable than from 3 games of NBA basketball. I do not believe this is a hot take.

Really? So based on that I assume you believe that despite all the evidence we have on Fultz during summer league, preseason, the 3 regular season games, the footage on his FT shooting in scrimmages, and Brown being pretty concerned about his mechanics, you would still take those 25 college games, and draft him #1. Is that correct?

Edit:
I mean Derek Bodner, Sixers beat writer, who RARELY says a negative word on team recently said something to the effect of - The Sixers traded up to draft a Rondo, without the passing, at #1.