Author Topic: Ford: GMs Think Ainge Really Likes Josh Jackson (Insider)  (Read 46209 times)

Re: Ford: GMs Think Ainge Really Likes Josh Jackson (Insider)
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 06:25:29 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I thought his weakness is shooting? Seems to me we have a team of those kind of guys, sooner or later you need someone that can put the ball in the hole!

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2017, 06:26:29 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Jackson is an Ainge player all the way. Tough, athletic, long, versatile, elite motor."

I think so, too.  Jackson can come right in and play defense plus Ainge never shows his hand and who has he been silent on?   Jackson.

I guess, but a lot of it might be circumstances too. I mean, who is usually available in the ranges that Ainge has been drafting? Usually it's pretty flawed players, and so by and large, they've erred toward motor/energy/athletes, because at least they'll have that.

Of course, the one time he didn't (olynyk over Giannis) is regrettable.

But, he hasn't really had the chance to pass over an all-around gifted consensus number 1 type of player just to grab an athlete.

What entices about Jackson is that he is not just an athlete.  He appears to be one of those rare pure basketball players...excellent passing plus excellent IQ, plus the athleticism.  We can all agree if he had a smooth consistent jumper he'd be #1.  So, the question, as so often, comes down to how much you as a fan scout value shooting verses other skills.

I think if the Celtics didn't have Marcus Smart on the roster there would be a lot more bloggers on the fence between Jackson and Fultz.  People are tired of Smart's jumper and it's affecting their perception of Jackson.  It shouldn't.  Always take BPA and worry about roster fit/balance later.   

I have no idea who will have a better career between Fultz and Jackson.  I can't say either way.  I do think Jackson is being underrated as an overall player due to his shooting, and should be the clear consensus #2 pick, if Danny doesn't shock by taking him at 1. 

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2017, 06:27:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If true, then he has to be in discussions with Philly to swap picks and pick up asset(s), and hope the Lakers take Ball.

too risky... Lakers may take him at #2

Jackson is a Danny type of guy....

Celtics could be drafting another prospect from Kansas , who grew up from the LA area  ;D

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2017, 06:28:13 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
He's gonna draft Fultz.  This kids got the most well rounded, polished offensive game of any 19 year old, since maybe Durant.  Not gonna happen.

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2017, 06:29:53 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Danny is not going to pick Jackson straight up over Fultz but I bet he would be happy to trade with some love struck GM who is in love with Fultz.  I actually think there is some chance this could be the Lakers (Magic).  Didn't Fultz work out for them today?  Wasn't there some story about Ainge seeing Jackson work out when he worked out for the Lakers? (OK, it was Blog speculation, not a story).

DA was out in LA last week while Jackson was. Could have sneaked a peak while he was their. LA was suppose to be private, Doesn't mean DA didn't see any of it. HE and Magic have talked, and with Fultz rumored to be working out with LA this week, why would they if they made a promise to Jackson?

I think Magic and Danny are talking.  The part I can't figure out though is what do the Lakers add to the #2 pick to get Danny to want to make a trade like this.

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2017, 06:38:30 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Fultz has the highest upside but also is the least ready (out of the top 5)..... He also needs to toughen up

Celtics staff may feel, guys like Smart may chew him alive.   Challenge him etc. 

Maybe he might cave..

A guy like Jackson won't

I don't think Fultz will see much minutes next season...at least until his defense is as good as Roziers .  Jackson should be able to contribute immediately , due to defense alone

We will have to see what type of direction Danny wants to take.  This is why i have been saying that this team is lucky but in a difficult situation.   You need to let a guy like Fultz play, develop, breathe , grow, make mistakes.   On this current team, the margin of error is small

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2017, 06:41:52 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Fultz has the highest upside but also is the least ready (out of the top 5)..... He also needs to toughen up

Celtics staff may feel, guys like Smart may chew him alive.   Challenge him etc. 

Maybe he might cave..

A guy like Jackson won't

I don't think Fultz will see much minutes next season...at least until his defense is as good as Roziers .  Jackson should be able to contribute immediately , due to defense alone

We will have to see what type of direction Danny wants to take.  This is why i have been saying that this team is lucky but in a difficult situation.   You need to let a guy like Fultz play, develop, breathe , grow, make mistakes.   On this current team, the margin of error is small
This post is so forced triboy.

Its all complete BS. You dont like Fultz and have been trying to invent reasons to not take him for like 2 months now.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2017, 06:43:19 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
Jackson is an Ainge player all the way. Tough, athletic, long, versatile, elite motor."

I think so, too.  Jackson can come right in and play defense plus Ainge never shows his hand and who has he been silent on?   Jackson.

I guess, but a lot of it might be circumstances too. I mean, who is usually available in the ranges that Ainge has been drafting? Usually it's pretty flawed players, and so by and large, they've erred toward motor/energy/athletes, because at least they'll have that.

But, he hasn't really had the chance to pass over an all-around gifted consensus number 1 type of player just to grab an athlete.

What entices about Jackson is that he is not just an athlete.  He appears to be one of those rare pure basketball players...excellent passing plus excellent IQ, plus the athleticism.  We can all agree if he had a smooth consistent jumper he'd be #1.  So, the question, as so often, comes down to how much you as a fan scout value shooting verses other skills.

I think if the Celtics didn't have Marcus Smart on the roster there would be a lot more bloggers on the fence between Jackson and Fultz.  People are tired of Smart's jumper and it's affecting their perception of Jackson.  It shouldn't.  Always take BPA and worry about roster fit/balance later.   

I have no idea who will have a better career between Fultz and Jackson.  I can't say either way.  I do think Jackson is being underrated as an overall player due to his shooting, and should be the clear consensus #2 pick, if Danny doesn't shock by taking him at 1.
you act as if Markelle Fultz isnt the consensus number 1 pick and the consensus #1 prospect.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2017, 06:43:59 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
Not really a fan of Jackson with a top 3 pick.  Guys like MKG, Aaron Gordon, Justise Winslow, even Marcus Smart are fresh in my head - guys who have the athleticism and tenacity, but their offensive game is based on a dream that they can become something they're not.  Kawhi made the leap, but he's the exception, not the rule. 

Give me the guy who is great on offense and can become solid on defense over the guy who is great on defense and can become solid on offense. 

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2017, 06:52:47 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Maybe he might cave..

A guy like Jackson won't

This post is so forced triboy.

Its all complete BS. You dont like Fultz and have been trying to invent reasons to not take him for like 2 months now.

what are you talking about?

it's the truth

If you think Fultz is going to get gimme mins , just because he is the #1 pick...well you can wait the whole season

He has ways to go. Especially on the defensive end

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2017, 06:52:47 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
Not really a fan of Jackson with a top 3 pick.  Guys like MKG, Aaron Gordon, Justise Winslow, even Marcus Smart are fresh in my head - guys who have the athleticism and tenacity, but their offensive game is based on a dream that they can become something they're not.  Kawhi made the leap, but he's the exception, not the rule. 

Give me the guy who is great on offense and can become solid on defense over the guy who is great on defense and can become solid on offense.
to be fair Smart and Winslow dont have half of Jackson's explosiveness and length.
Gordon doesnt have half of his BBIQ and MKG wasnt nearly as dangerous as an offensive player in college.

The concerns are fair, but there is reason to believe that Jackson has a better shot at being an offensive weapon than those guys did.

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2017, 06:54:15 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

really doing Josh Jackson an injustice by calling him "an athlete" he brings an elite compete level and an elite bball iq.

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2017, 06:54:32 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Fultz is lightyears ahead of anyone else at the top of the draft, and the closest to being ready to play. Lot of nonsense in this thread.

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2017, 06:54:52 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
Maybe the question we really should be asking is who does Indiana want at one?  Perhaps Hayward and IT and horford already have PG convinced about locking down and this pick isn't even for us....

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2017, 06:55:24 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
It's been suggested here a number of times by others, Jackson and Simmons for Fultz and Bradley makes a lot of sense.

Horford
Simmons
Crowder
Brown
IT

Smart
Rozier
Jackson
KO
Zizic

I'd take my chances with that team short term and long.  Still have cap space and future picks.

I can get behind this, and it wouldn't stop us from getting Hayward, too. That's a very good deal for both sides, in my opinion.

What I can't get behind is Ainge picking someone like Jackson over Fultz. That has Darko/Kwame Brown 2.0 written all over it. Perhaps not as bad as those picks, but I think Fultz ends up significantly better than Jackson.