Author Topic: Ford: GMs Think Ainge Really Likes Josh Jackson (Insider)  (Read 45689 times)

Ford: GMs Think Ainge Really Likes Josh Jackson (Insider)
« on: June 15, 2017, 05:35:54 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
 From Chad Ford at ESPN:

Celtics might pull a surprise at No. 1

Markelle Fultz has been atop my Big Board since version 2.0, and his only real challenger most of the year has been Lonzo Ball.

But Josh Jackson, who was No. 1 on Big Board 1.0, has emerged as an intriguing option for the Celtics and team president Danny Ainge (even though he canceled a workout with Boston this week, according to ESPN's Jeff Goodman and Marc Spears).

2017 NBA draft

Get ready for Markelle Fultz, Lonzo Ball and the 2017 draft, with analysis from Chad Ford and other ESPN experts.

"I've picked Danny's brain for years," one GM said. "Jackson is an Ainge player all the way. Tough, athletic, long, versatile, elite motor. If he's keeping the pick, Jackson just to me, far and away, is the most Celtics-type player for them to draft. From all my conversations with them, I'm convinced they'll take Jackson No. 1."

He's correct in that Jackson fits the prototypical Celtics mold. Rajon Rondo, Avery Bradley, Marcus Smart and Jaylen Brown all fit that description, and all were first-round selections by Boston (Rondo via trade).

Jackson has yet to work out for the Celtics, according to his agent, B.J. Armstrong, who said that Jackson has worked out twice for the Lakers and once for the 76ers. Jackson is also scheduled to work out for the Suns before the draft.

"We have great respect for Boston and Danny Ainge," Armstrong said. "That's a championship-caliber organization and Josh brings the things that I know Danny values. He can defend his position at an elite level. He can rebound for his position at an elite level and he can pass for his position at an elite level. All the championship-caliber teams are looking for players who can do those three things. And I know they want winners.

"We're in dialogue with Boston. We're very respectful of them. They have the No. 1 pick and can select whoever they choose. We just need to see how things play out over the next week."

While Armstrong declined to give specifics about why Jackson hasn't worked out there, other league sources believe that it's likely that Jackson's camp feels that both the Lakers and Sixers would give Jackson a larger role from day one.

A number of agents have expressed concerns that the Celtics might not have enough playing time for their clients to develop properly, given the depth and experience of their roster. (Ball also declined a workout with Boston.)

Fit is a question mark for Jackson as well, with both Jaylen Brown and Jae Crowder already on the roster.

Don't the Celtics need players with differing skill sets? Isn't Jackson a bit duplicative, especially given the arrival of Brown last year?

Another GM doesn't see it that way.

"Jackson will be better than all of those guys [at his position in Boston]," the GM said. "Danny's looking for a star, and I think Jackson has as much or more star potential than Fultz or Ball. Everyone on the Celtics is an asset. Danny can move them all. He'll take the player he likes the best. Period. He'll figure out fit in the summer."

What do the Celtics have to say about this? They're staying mum on whom they're taking No. 1, but a source says the franchise is strongly considering options other than Fultz and that Jackson is one of those options.

"We like him a lot," the Celtics source said. "But we like several guys a lot. We've got a week to figure it out."

If Jackson doesn't work out for Boston, would that scare the Celtics away? "Absolutely not," a Celtics source said. "That's true for Josh and Lonzo and anyone else. We've done our homework. The workouts are nice, but they're not mandatory. We'll select the best player."

Re: Ford: GMs Think Ainge Really Likes Josh Jackson (Insider)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 05:38:44 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
If true, then he has to be in discussions with Philly to swap picks and pick up asset(s), and hope the Lakers take Ball.

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 05:42:49 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Jackson is an Ainge player all the way. Tough, athletic, long, versatile, elite motor."

I think so, too.  Jackson can come right in and play defense plus Ainge never shows his hand and who has he been silent on?   Jackson.

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 05:54:18 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I guess a rumor is not enough for me to claim being psychic, but I posted this
a couple days ago:

imo Jackson's the only one with a chance to go #1 if not Fultz.  Not working out with C's does not cancel possibility of his going #1.

IF Celts wanted Jackson, they'd love to trade Fultz to Philly for Jackson plus something....but Lakers make that plan risky.  A trade of Fultz to LA for Jackson plus ____ is much more unlikely than a deal would be with Philly.

So, if Danny likes Jackson he has to decide whether to just take him or to try and trade Fultz for him, getting himself a little something extra in the process but risking losing him to the Lakers. 

Most likely scenario: 
Danny takes and keeps Fultz

Next most likely:
Fultz and something for Butler/George and something.

Third most likely:
Jackson at #1 (or Fultz traded for Jackson plus____)

What would Danny want from the Lakers and what would Danny want from Philly if he takes Fultz and then tries to grab Jackson?  I think he really wanted Ingram last year but Boston would have to add more to Fultz in that case...and that would only make sense with Ingram at PF....not sure he's ready to be there.  Lakers surely not interested in that.  Nance?   From Philly....Saric? 

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 05:59:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So it's a rumor mostly based on one GM's assessment of Danny's "type"?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 05:59:56 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Probably BS. IF (big if), Ford actually has a source, the guy could have an angle. Perhaps he's a GM in the 2-4 range trying to boost the value of his pick. Ford could also just be making this up (wouldn't be the lowest he's stooped), because he's in need of content. And if the exceedingly unlikely proves true and Danny really is this stupid, then I'd be the first to grab a pitchfork.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 06:02:09 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
"I've picked Danny's brain for years," one GM said
Wonder if this is doc.

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 06:03:28 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Jackson could be Bradley's replacement if we don't want to to give him 100 million plus.

But this is BS. Just draft Fultz to replace Avery.

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 06:04:34 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Selecting Jackson over Fultz would be the Ainge-iest move of all time.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 06:06:06 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
It's been suggested here a number of times by others, Jackson and Simmons for Fultz and Bradley makes a lot of sense.

Horford
Simmons
Crowder
Brown
IT

Smart
Rozier
Jackson
KO
Zizic

I'd take my chances with that team short term and long.  Still have cap space and future picks.

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 06:08:41 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
It would be like the Jr giddens of 2017. Give a promise to a big guy who can't shoot

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 06:11:33 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
So it's a rumor mostly based on one GM's assessment of Danny's "type"?

"From all my conversations with [Danny]"

Could be, but hey, who knows...

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 06:13:50 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Fulz for Jackson+Simmons+Embiid+Saric+Sac and Laker picks

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 06:14:29 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

We will arrange a group of middle aged Boston guys to beat Danny is an alley if this happens. Heinson will be the leader.

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 06:16:43 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Jackson is an Ainge player all the way. Tough, athletic, long, versatile, elite motor."

I think so, too.  Jackson can come right in and play defense plus Ainge never shows his hand and who has he been silent on?   Jackson.

I guess, but a lot of it might be circumstances too. I mean, who is usually available in the ranges that Ainge has been drafting? Usually it's pretty flawed players, and so by and large, they've erred toward motor/energy/athletes, because at least they'll have that.

Of course, the one time he didn't (olynyk over Giannis) is regrettable.

But, he hasn't really had the chance to pass over an all-around gifted consensus number 1 type of player just to grab an athlete.