Author Topic: Draft rumor speculation and my lottery mock  (Read 5771 times)

Draft rumor speculation and my lottery mock
« on: June 15, 2017, 09:37:27 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Rumor, last night a few local Kings reporters posted on Twitter that the Kings are very high on Fox and want to move up to #3 to make sure the Suns do not steal him.  There are conflicting reports if the kings are willing to move #5 and #10 for #3. Woj says no other local guys say yes.
 Speculation, maybe the trade goes down as #3 + 36 + Covington/Holmes for #5 and #10.

Rumor, Jackson has a promise in the top 3 this has been denied but still came from somewhere.
Speculation, if the 76ers are trading down then Jackson isn’t their man. This could place Jackson in LA who he worked out for twice.

My Lottery Mock

1.   Celtics Fultz
2.   Lakers Jackson
3.   Kings Fox (via trade)
4.   Suns Ball
5.   76ers Monk (via trade)
6.   Magic Smith Jr.
7.   Minn Tatum
8.   Knicks Kennard
9.   Mavs Isaac
10.   76ers Ntilikina (via trade)
11.   Hornets Mitchell
12.   Pistons Markkanen
13.   Denver Z Collins
14.   Heat J Jackson
Where I differ from the experts. I can see Smith going to Orlando to play alongside and eventually supplant Payton. The knicks taking Kennard would be a shock but he fits the triangle and is a can’t miss type prospect. I think Isaac and Tatum may slip to no fault of his own just a matter of fit with other prospects.   

Celtics Thought
Could the Cs potentially turn the Kings and 76ers trade into a 3 way? Maybe they offer up AB for the #10. This frees up cap space for a Hayward or Griffin signing and minutes for Fultz and Brown. AB and Monk would fit well their vision of playing Simmons as a true PG.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 03:06:48 PM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Draft rumor speculation and my lottery mock
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 09:54:21 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
The Sixers may have promised Jackson, but it doesn't mean they have to stay in that spot if they get an offer they like better.  I don't think they trade the pick without some sort of grandfather offer, and the one you have there is certainly not that.  I think they stay put and take Jackson or Ball, whomever the Lakers don't take.  Right now I'm leaning toward Jackson being on the board there with the Lakers taking Ball.

1. Fultz
2. Ball
3. Jackson
4. Fox
5. Tatum
6. Monk
7. Isaac
8. Markkanen
9. Giles (he just seems like a Dallas sort of risk)
10. Smith
11. Ntlikina
12. Z. Collins
13. Kennard
14. Anunoby (again seems like a Riley type risk)
15. Mitchell
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 09:59:19 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Rumor, last night a few local Kings reporters posted on Twitter that the Kings are very high on Fox and want to move up to #3 to make sure the Suns do not steal him.  There are conflicting reports if the kings are willing to move #5 and #10 for #3. Woj says no other local guys say yes.
 Speculation, maybe the trade goes down as #3 + 36 + Covington/Holmes for #5 and #10.

Rumor, Jackson has a promise in the top 3 this has been denied but still came from somewhere.
Speculation, if the 76ers are trading down then Jackson isn’t their man. This could place Jackson in LA who he worked out for twice.

My Lottery Mock

1.   Celtics Fultz
2.   Lakers Jackson
4.   Suns Ball
6.   Magic Smith Jr.
7.   Minn Tatum
8.   Knicks Kennard
9.   Mavs Isaac
10.   76ers Ntilikina
11.   Hornets Mitchell
12.   Pistons Markkanen
13.   Denver Z Collins
14.   Heat J Jackson
Where I differ from the experts. I can see Smith going to Orlando to play alongside and eventually supplant Payton. The knicks taking Kennard would be a shock but he fits the triangle and is a can’t miss type prospect. I think Isaac and Tatum may slip to no fault of his own just a matter of fit with other prospects.   

Celtics Thought
Could the Cs potentially turn the Kings and 76ers trade into a 3 way? Maybe they offer up AB for the #10. This frees up cap space for a Hayward or Griffin signing and minutes for Fultz and Brown. AB and Monk would fit well their vision of playing Simmons as a true PG.

my initial thought looking at that mock is that I'm not sold on Phx taking Ball at 4 for a couple of reasons:
1) they already have a proven PG in Bledsoe so why not take a top prospect that would fill a bigger hole for them in Tatum?
2) Ball's father is a pain in the ass and likely to be a distraction to the club in the press and lockerroom. 

Also, saw you have the Magic taking a PG when they have Elfrid Payton.  if Tatum was still available (based on your mock) I don't see how they pass up Tatum or Isaac.  they have Gordon, Hezonja and Ross but none of them are worth passing up Tatum's potential for another PG to compete with Payton.  Not that I don't think they can improve upon Payton but Tatum could be the offense they've been hoping for.

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 10:17:47 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
I don't see the Sixers trading Covington and probably not Holmes.  Covington is too important to their defense and they've got the opportunity to do a front loaded renegotiated extension that would continue to make him great value.  Holmes is their preferred backup for Embiid.  Okafor is who the Sixers are looking to move.  They've also got lots of picks (not Lakers 2018 or Sac 2019) to balance out the trade.  If they did make the trade, I'd take Isaac at #5 and Ntilikina or Mitchell at #10. 

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 10:41:27 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
1.   Fultz (no-brainer; fans who think we should do anything else are nuts)
2.   Ball (I think the Josh Jackson stuff is noise and they'll take Ball)
3.   Jackson (assuming Sixers don't trade)
4.   Tatum
5.   Fox
6.   Smith, Jr (most underrated of the top prospects, IMO)
7.   Isaac (that team needs some defense from somewhere)
8.   Monk (Knicks need a shooter)
9.   Markkanen (Mavs are already accustomed to playing with a big, slow, Euro)
10. J. Collins
11. Kennard
12. Z. Collins
13. Ntilkina
14. Anunoby

Best player in draft: Fultz
Most overrated: Tatum
Most underrated: Smith, Jr

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 10:44:24 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

My Lottery Mock

1.   Celtics Fultz
2.   Lakers Jackson
4.   Suns Ball
6.   Magic Smith Jr.
7.   Minn Tatum
8.   Knicks Kennard
9.   Mavs Isaac
10.   76ers Ntilikina
11.   Hornets Mitchell
12.   Pistons Markkanen
13.   Denver Z Collins
14.   Heat J Jackson

Celtics Thought

This was excellent until you have Kennard going 8.  No way.

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 11:22:56 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74

Wait, you know he's already better than Lebron right?

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7vokBNcLxs]

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 11:28:20 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Ball is falling to Sacramento at 5 and the lakers are going to pick a bust. Book it.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 11:28:37 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

My Lottery Mock

1.   Celtics Fultz
2.   Lakers Jackson
4.   Suns Ball
6.   Magic Smith Jr.
7.   Minn Tatum
8.   Knicks Kennard
9.   Mavs Isaac
10.   76ers Ntilikina
11.   Hornets Mitchell
12.   Pistons Markkanen
13.   Denver Z Collins
14.   Heat J Jackson

Celtics Thought

Kennard would be surprising there, but there are always surprises in the Draft.  I'd have a hard time taking him before Isaac, but it wouldn't be a big stretch to keep him ahead of the rest of the 9-15 group.

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 11:59:34 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

My Lottery Mock

1.   Celtics Fultz
2.   Lakers Jackson
4.   Suns Ball
6.   Magic Smith Jr.
7.   Minn Tatum
8.   Knicks Kennard
9.   Mavs Isaac
10.   76ers Ntilikina
11.   Hornets Mitchell
12.   Pistons Markkanen
13.   Denver Z Collins
14.   Heat J Jackson

Celtics Thought

Kennard would be surprising there, but there are always surprises in the Draft.  I'd have a hard time taking him before Isaac, but it wouldn't be a big stretch to keep him ahead of the rest of the 9-15 group.

I agree way to high for Kennard but crazy things happen at every draft and I think Phil is the guy to make the crazy move. He is a great fit for the triangle and having just read that Dylan Ennis had a workout with the Knicks that featured 45min of triangle work I think its safe to say Phil is drafting for the triangle.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 12:07:47 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

My Lottery Mock

1.   Celtics Fultz
2.   Lakers Jackson
4.   Suns Ball
6.   Magic Smith Jr.
7.   Minn Tatum
8.   Knicks Kennard
9.   Mavs Isaac
10.   76ers Ntilikina
11.   Hornets Mitchell
12.   Pistons Markkanen
13.   Denver Z Collins
14.   Heat J Jackson

Celtics Thought

my initial thought looking at that mock is that I'm not sold on Phx taking Ball at 4 for a couple of reasons:
1) they already have a proven PG in Bledsoe so why not take a top prospect that would fill a bigger hole for them in Tatum?
2) Ball's father is a pain in the ass and likely to be a distraction to the club in the press and lockerroom. 

Also, saw you have the Magic taking a PG when they have Elfrid Payton.  if Tatum was still available (based on your mock) I don't see how they pass up Tatum or Isaac.  they have Gordon, Hezonja and Ross but none of them are worth passing up Tatum's potential for another PG to compete with Payton.  Not that I don't think they can improve upon Payton but Tatum could be the offense they've been hoping for.

The Suns will not pass up on Balls talent at #4. He and Booker are a great pair. Their team is young and if Ball is drafted it makes sense to move Bledsoe.

The Magic have very little in terms of potential allstar talent on their roster. Payton is a good young player but I think most would agree Smith Jr. has a much higher ceiling. I believe they can play together in the short term and long term Payton gets moved. Tatum does make sense but i belive he will be best playing the PF and Gordon (their most talented highest ceiling player) has shown to play his best as a small PF. With Tatum's 3pt range being a question mark I do not like the fit and with Smith Jr and Tatum being on a similar tier I say they go with Smith Jr. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 12:13:49 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I don't see the Sixers trading Covington and probably not Holmes.  Covington is too important to their defense and they've got the opportunity to do a front loaded renegotiated extension that would continue to make him great value.  Holmes is their preferred backup for Embiid.  Okafor is who the Sixers are looking to move.  They've also got lots of picks (not Lakers 2018 or Sac 2019) to balance out the trade.  If they did make the trade, I'd take Isaac at #5 and Ntilikina or Mitchell at #10.

I agree that they could balance out the trade with future picks rather then players. In terms of Monk vs Isaac. It has been well documented that the 76ers want to start winning. Isaac is a great prospect but will need years to develop his body and is redundant with Simmons, Saric and Covington as all three are 3/4s. The 76ers where reportedly very high on Monk pre lottery and if they really want Simmons as the primary ball handler then a scoring 2/1 is the perfect compliment. A trade of #10 for AB would give them a Bayless, Bradley, and Monk back-court to all play off of Simmons. If Monk hits the ground running a Monk, AB, Saric/Covington, Simmons and Embiid starting 5 could push for an 8 seed this year.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 12:26:58 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
1.   Celtics - Fultz
2.   Lakers - Jackson
3.   Philly - Ball
4.   Suns - Tatum
5.   Kings - Fox
6.   Magic - Isaac
7.   Minn - Smith Jr.
8.   Knicks - Monk
9.   Mavs - Markkanen
10.   76ers - Ntilikina
11.   Hornets - Collins
12.   Pistons - J Jackson
13.   Denver - Mitchell
14.   Heat - Giles

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 12:33:58 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Fultz
Ball
Jackson
Fox
Tatum
Isaac
Monk
Markkanen
Collins
Kennard
Smith
Giles
Allen
Ntilinkina

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 01:00:37 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

I agree that they could balance out the trade with future picks rather then players. In terms of Monk vs Isaac. It has been well documented that the 76ers want to start winning. Isaac is a great prospect but will need years to develop his body and is redundant with Simmons, Saric and Covington as all three are 3/4s. The 76ers where reportedly very high on Monk pre lottery and if they really want Simmons as the primary ball handler then a scoring 2/1 is the perfect compliment. A trade of #10 for AB would give them a Bayless, Bradley, and Monk back-court to all play off of Simmons. If Monk hits the ground running a Monk, AB, Saric/Covington, Simmons and Embiid starting 5 could push for an 8 seed this year.
Don't see why people keep thinking the Sixers are going to give up good assets for Bradley.  He's a 1 year rental with a low likelihood of re-signing with them.  It especially makes no sense considering Embiid's uncertain health. 

Monk has too many limitations.  I think there is a good chance he ends up as an off the bench scorer.  The Sixers still need to be going after BPA.