Author Topic: Brad Stevens Asked Fultz' HS Counselor How Markelle Learns!!  (Read 10124 times)

Re: Brad Stevens Asked Fultz' HS Counselor How Markelle Learns!!
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 05:29:39 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
For those that dont believe the Globe article.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2sHEuEYQhU

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2017, 05:36:55 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
To me that's nonsense. If someone has more talent for sports than for studying why take it against them if they invest more time and effort in what they're really good at. I'm a lot more interested what his basketball coach has to say about him.

And what does a counselor know about these kids anyhow? Unless he saw him regularly because of misdemeanour, he probably doesn't have much more on him than the standard conclusions based on his school reports. These people have hundreds of kids under their wing, do they really know them?

Youre missing the entire point here. He is calling to see how he learns. How he processes information. What makes the person tick. What is the players work ethic off the court. That's one of the big reasons why Jaylen was viewed so highly. Go back and read anything predraft about Brown and it give you a good idea of his ability to work and his processing ability.

Now speaking directly to this situation, she worked very closely with Fultz. This is not a puff piece where she just throws out stuff saying she knows him. He has said a great deal about his relationship with her.

Im willing to take his word about his relationship with her.
To expand on this, players in the NBA have so much to learn on the court and off. The basketball he played in college and highschool is so simplistic as compared to the offensive and defensive systems Stevens runs. It takes tons of dedication to studying film, dissecting it, and transforming what he has learned from film, practice and playbook to on the court performance.

Off the court, there is just as much to learn. Fultz is going to be a millionaire teenager and there is much he will need to learn regarding handling the media, handling criticism, handling fans, managing finances, deciding the type of people to surround himself with, etc. A person who isn't dedicated to learning and having a poor work ethic because basketball came naturally to them could be problematic at the professional level.

I applaud Stevens for such detailed due diligence.

TP well said

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 05:37:07 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
If Brad wasn't married, I'd pen him a highly proactive letter.  Love this news.
well, i suppose you still could.  ;)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2017, 05:38:45 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
For those that dont believe the Globe article.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2sHEuEYQhU

If people would look there are quite a few videos where he mentions her. His mother even talked about her in a video where he won some award and they had a dinner (can't recall which video exactly because I watched them a while ago). Look at those docuvideos on his life.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2017, 05:39:29 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Haha, my wife often jokes that if I leave her for someone famous it will be for Brad (or Lin-Manuel Miranda.)

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2017, 05:41:24 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
well, i suppose you still could.  ;)

I think that is meant to say "provocative," if so that would be very disrespectful. 😁
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2017, 06:04:11 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
To me that's nonsense. If someone has more talent for sports than for studying why take it against them if they invest more time and effort in what they're really good at. I'm a lot more interested what his basketball coach has to say about him.

And what does a counselor know about these kids anyhow? Unless he saw him regularly because of misdemeanour, he probably doesn't have much more on him than the standard conclusions based on his school reports. These people have hundreds of kids under their wing, do they really know them?

a) The counselor is a "she", not a "he".
b) DeMatha is a private catholic school of about 800, which means there would be about 200 in a graduating senior class.   A good counselor would have no problem knowing all the seniors pretty closely after 4 years.  Especially any that actively seek out their assistance.
c) Fultz was already on scouts radar and shooting up the rankings.  You can bet every administration and faculty member knew who he was very well. 
d) DeMatha is a national basketball prep powerhouse with a long history of alumni going on to the NBA so they are very tuned in from the day a kid like that arrives with what he needs for a 'basketball career' both in college and the NBA.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2017, 07:04:32 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Fultz will make Brown a nice chess partner

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2017, 07:44:01 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Phalen said she told Stevens that Fultz, who graduated from DeMatha in 2016, displayed an unusual dedication to learning. Fultz would often ask her to meet with him at 6 a.m. on school days — nearly two hours before class started — and also on weekends.

If this is true he is either dedicated or not bright and needed the extra help.

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2017, 11:17:45 AM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Phalen said she told Stevens that Fultz, who graduated from DeMatha in 2016, displayed an unusual dedication to learning. Fultz would often ask her to meet with him at 6 a.m. on school days — nearly two hours before class started — and also on weekends.

If this is true he is either dedicated or not bright and needed the extra help.

Hahahaha. I almost fell out of my seat reading this. So he might not be bright cus he might have needed extra help. Wow. Its actually the opposite. He is bright for seeking the help. Only an idiot sits there and struggles and says I dont need anyones help.

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2017, 11:43:41 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Haha, my wife often jokes that if I leave her for someone famous it will be for Brad (or Lin-Manuel Miranda.)

Stevens has a long way to go before he catches #12 in the Boston fan man-crush department.

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2017, 12:11:19 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I wouldn't know how to answer that question....."with his brain...."

We learned why you aren't a Guidance Counselor today.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2018, 04:44:45 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I’m now wondering if brad discovered some sort of red flag in fultz learning ability.

“[Stevens] was interested in how [Fultz] learns,” Phalen said. “How he handles disappointment when he confronts weakness in some part of his development, specifically in academics. We talked about his personality.”

That is really specific

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2018, 04:46:20 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Youre missing the entire point here. He is calling to see how he learns. How he processes information. What makes the person tick. What is the players work ethic off the court. That's one of the big reasons why Jaylen was viewed so highly. Go back and read anything predraft about Brown and it give you a good idea of his ability to work and his processing ability.

Now speaking directly to this situation, she worked very closely with Fultz. This is not a puff piece where she just throws out stuff saying she knows him. He has said a great deal about his relationship with her.

Im willing to take his word about his relationship with her.
To expand on this, players in the NBA have so much to learn on the court and off. The basketball he played in college and highschool is so simplistic as compared to the offensive and defensive systems Stevens runs. It takes tons of dedication to studying film, dissecting it, and transforming what he has learned from film, practice and playbook to on the court performance.

Off the court, there is just as much to learn. Fultz is going to be a millionaire teenager and there is much he will need to learn regarding handling the media, handling criticism, handling fans, managing finances, deciding the type of people to surround himself with, etc. A person who isn't dedicated to learning and having a poor work ethic because basketball came naturally to them could be problematic at the professional level.

I applaud Stevens for such detailed due diligence.
you hit the nail on the head. Stevens must have discovered that fultz may not have the capability to handle all of that

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2018, 06:39:52 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
its clear from the drafting of Brown/Tatum that character/dedication is important to the celtics in who they draft. Seems they want guys who are hard workers who will put the time in to improve on their game.

Guys can only get so far on skill/athleticism alone. its hard work paired with those skills that make superstars.