Author Topic: Brad Stevens Asked Fultz' HS Counselor How Markelle Learns!!  (Read 10125 times)

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2017/06/14/brad-stevens-even-checked-in-with-markelle-fultzs-high-school-counselor

This is a level of due diligence that is conducted on someone you are really serious about drafting!!! Good for Brad, that he is invested in this process.  I love it.

Re: Brad Stevens Asked Fultz' HS Counselor How Markelle Learns!!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 03:37:04 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 03:37:50 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
“[Stevens] was interested in how [Fultz] learns,” Phalen said. “How he handles disappointment when he confronts weakness in some part of his development, specifically in academics. We talked about his personality.”

Phalen said she told Stevens that Fultz, who graduated from DeMatha in 2016, displayed an unusual dedication to learning. Fultz would often ask her to meet with him at 6 a.m. on school days — nearly two hours before class started — and also on weekends.

“It is unbelievably rare,” Phalen said. “Often people would say to me, ‘Are you kidding me?’ And I’d say, ‘Listen, when a student shows that much interest in getting better and becoming an academic achiever, if I ever say no to that, that’s ridiculous.’ ”

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 03:43:02 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I wouldn't know how to answer that question....."with his brain...."

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 03:47:04 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
To me that's nonsense. If someone has more talent for sports than for studying why take it against them if they invest more time and effort in what they're really good at. I'm a lot more interested what his basketball coach has to say about him.

And what does a counselor know about these kids anyhow? Unless he saw him regularly because of misdemeanour, he probably doesn't have much more on him than the standard conclusions based on his school reports. These people have hundreds of kids under their wing, do they really know them?

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 03:47:50 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2017/06/14/brad-stevens-even-checked-with-markelle-fultz-high-school-counselor/x1ZIfYNWozwf0cSBhr3mhL/story.html

Attached is an even more in depth interview with her in today's Boston Globe.
Not able to read it can you post the full article please

TP for the efforts
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 03:54:38 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
To me that's nonsense. If someone has more talent for sports than for studying why take it against them if they invest more time and effort in what they're really good at. I'm a lot more interested what his basketball coach has to say about him.

And what does a counselor know about these kids anyhow? Unless he saw him regularly because of misdemeanour, he probably doesn't have much more on him than the standard conclusions based on his school reports. These people have hundreds of kids under their wing, do they really know them?
Did you read the quoted text above?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 04:03:41 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

He was probably a celebrity at the school and future alumni that could possibly donate MILLIONS.......they all knew him.

This is just another blow to the LAAAAZY FULTZ narrative that paints him out to be anything but a gym rat and hard worker.

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 04:28:40 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

Youre missing the entire point here. He is calling to see how he learns. How he processes information. What makes the person tick. What is the players work ethic off the court. That's one of the big reasons why Jaylen was viewed so highly. Go back and read anything predraft about Brown and it give you a good idea of his ability to work and his processing ability.

Now speaking directly to this situation, she worked very closely with Fultz. This is not a puff piece where she just throws out stuff saying she knows him. He has said a great deal about his relationship with her.

Im willing to take his word about his relationship with her.

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 04:44:22 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
All indications are that this kid is a hard worker, smart, keeps his nose clean, and is motivated. That alone is a huge deal.

Think about the team that just won the title and people are talking about as one of the greatest of all time. Every key player is unselfish, smart, communicates, and team-oriented. There is a reason that team plays beautiful motion offense and coordinated defense, and the Cavs play hero ball on offense and get backdoored and miss assignments on defense. Seriously, are there any chuckers, malcontents, or ball-hogs on the  Warriors?

If you want a win a title you need talent, but also the right kind of talent. It bodes well that the Celtics are in position to take a kid like Fultz. Same goes for Hayward if they can land him.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 04:45:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Youre missing the entire point here. He is calling to see how he learns. How he processes information. What makes the person tick. What is the players work ethic off the court. That's one of the big reasons why Jaylen was viewed so highly. Go back and read anything predraft about Brown and it give you a good idea of his ability to work and his processing ability.

Now speaking directly to this situation, she worked very closely with Fultz. This is not a puff piece where she just throws out stuff saying she knows him. He has said a great deal about his relationship with her.

To expand on this, players in the NBA have so much to learn on the court and off. The basketball he played in college and highschool is so simplistic as compared to the offensive and defensive systems Stevens runs. It takes tons of dedication to studying film, dissecting it, and transforming what he has learned from film, practice and playbook to on the court performance.

Off the court, there is just as much to learn. Fultz is going to be a millionaire teenager and there is much he will need to learn regarding handling the media, handling criticism, handling fans, managing finances, deciding the type of people to surround himself with, etc. A person who isn't dedicated to learning and having a poor work ethic because basketball came naturally to them could be problematic at the professional level.

I applaud Stevens for such detailed due diligence.

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 04:46:58 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2017/06/14/brad-stevens-even-checked-with-markelle-fultz-high-school-counselor/x1ZIfYNWozwf0cSBhr3mhL/story.html

Attached is an even more in depth interview with her in today's Boston Globe.
Not able to read it can you post the full article please

TP for the efforts

Here you go:

Markelle Fultz, the top prospect in next week’s NBA draft, has had every aspect of his game analyzed by the league’s top decision-makers for several years. But before making a substantial investment in a prospect, teams will often comb through information that is unrelated to basketball, too.

And that is why Joan Phalen, the assistant director of academic support at Fultz’s alma mater, DeMatha Catholic High School, recently received a surprising phone call from the head coach of the Boston Celtics.

“I had a wonderful conversation with Brad Stevens,” said Phalen, who worked with Fultz almost daily during his time at the private high school in Hyattsville, Md. “He was so interested in how Markelle learns, and I just thought that was an amazing concept for a coach to be interested in and concerned about. We had a great conversation.”

Phalen said the Phoenix Suns were the only other NBA team to reach out to her about Fultz.

The Celtics, of course, hold the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, and Fultz, who visited Boston last week, is widely viewed as their primary target.

“[Stevens] was interested in how [Fultz] learns,” Phalen said. “How he handles disappointment when he confronts weakness in some part of his development, specifically in academics. We talked about his personality.”

Phalen said she told Stevens that Fultz, who graduated from DeMatha in 2016, displayed an unusual dedication to learning. Fultz would often ask her to meet with him at 6 a.m. on school days — nearly two hours before class started — and also on weekends.

“It is unbelievably rare,” Phalen said. “Often people would say to me, ‘Are you kidding me?’ And I’d say, ‘Listen, when a student shows that much interest in getting better and becoming an academic achiever, if I ever say no to that, that’s ridiculous.’ ”

Stevens studies the game closely and is known as a brilliant basketball tactician, but he is also an avid consumer of books and speeches about qualities like growth and leadership and grit.

Phalen said she and Stevens made a connection based on the work of Carol Dweck, a psychologist and author who focuses on the “growth mind-set,” or the idea that the brain’s capacity to learn and solve problems can continue to grow.

“We base a lot of what we do in academic support at DeMatha off of her,” Phalen said.

Phalen appreciated Stevens’s phone call because it showed a true interest in Fultz beyond basketball, and she also appreciated it because she is a Celtics fan.

She grew up in Norwood, and her entire family still lives in the Boston area, including her five siblings and her 92-year-old mother, Veronica, who is perhaps the biggest Celtics supporter of all of them.

Phalen said Fultz and the other athletes at DeMatha used to joke with her about cheering for Boston. But the possibility that one of the school’s brightest stars might become a Celtic has shifted the narrative.

“It’s so funny now, because it’s gone completely 180 degrees like, ‘Ms. Phalen, the Celtics,’ ” she said. “And I laugh and say, ‘Yeah, I know.’ ”

But Phalen said she generally does not talk to her family about her students, and she has yet to tell them that she even knows Fultz.

“And they’re all Celtics fans,” she said with a chuckle. “They have no idea.”

She said “her fingers and toes are crossed” that the Celtics will select Fultz, and that she would be so thrilled to introduce her family to him in Boston. She said Stevens did not tell her whether or not the Celtics would draft him, but the simple phone call from the coach resonated with her.

“It was so nice,” she said. “He just seemed like a wonderful mentor and teacher.”

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 04:57:49 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

To expand on this, players in the NBA have so much to learn on the court and off. The basketball he played in college and highschool is so simplistic as compared to the offensive and defensive systems Stevens runs. It takes tons of dedication to studying film, dissecting it, and transforming what he has learned from film, practice and playbook to on the court performance.

Off the court, there is just as much to learn. Fultz is going to be a millionaire teenager and there is much he will need to learn regarding handling the media, handling criticism, handling fans, managing finances, deciding the type of people to surround himself with, etc. A person who isn't dedicated to learning and having a poor work ethic because basketball came naturally to them could be problematic at the professional level.

I applaud Stevens for such detailed due diligence.

I completely agree with this.

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 05:01:18 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
TP footey thanks loving this kid can't wait till the draft
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 05:10:59 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
If Brad wasn't married, I'd pen him a highly proactive letter.  Love this news.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC