Author Topic: Which '18 Prospect fits best with Stevens and our short/long term roster?  (Read 3294 times)

Re: Which '18 Prospect fits best with Stevens and our short/long term roster?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 07:36:23 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Great post!! TP..I would pass on Porter..back surgery at his age is risking...Doncic I would also pass..how many euro players actually become great players..very few...other 4 I would take in order:
1 Bagley
2 ayron
3 young
4 bamba
and how many US college players become great players? ... very few. maybe we should pass on them as well?  ::)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 08:28:28 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
and how many US college players become great players? ... very few. maybe we should pass on them as well?

But the list of NBA Greats who played in US College is long, isn't it?

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2018, 09:31:29 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I’m team Ayton.  Honestly, fit isn’t a major issue with any of the prospects in this draft.  My philosophy is always take best player available, especially with a coach like Stevens who isn’t afraid to mix and match lineups.  If one player makes me question “fit”,  it’s maybe Young because he is smallish. However, Stevens has no problems playing super small lineups like Thomas-Rozier-Bradley or Larkin-Irving-Rozier etc.

Back to Ayton, he just checks too many boxes and at this point I have no idea why he isn’t considered the consensus #1 pick.  In my opinion he is easily the best prospect in the last two drafts (at least).  I have a feeling that he will go #1 so unfortunately we will probably not have a chance to select him, but if we are so lucky, the Celtics should take him in a millisecond.

He will fit in beautifully in the short term with Horford, Theis, Morris, and Tatum in the frontcourt (Baynes is a FA this offseason).  That mix of guys up front gives us a little bit of everything as far as versatility up front, allowing the C’s to go big with Horford at the 4, small with him at the 5, etc all while having a bunch of skilled bigs who can shoot and defend (Ayton biggest weakness but has the tools).  Once Horford is gone (I love Al so this will stink for me), Ayton can assume the role of starting Center of a monster starting unit of Kyrie Irving- Jaylen Brown - Gordon Hayward - Jayson Tatum - Deandre Ayton.

When tackling the question “who fits the team better?” There are two schools of thought: 1. Who can carry out our game plan the best and 2. Who fills in a need.  Theoretically, Ayton does both of these things.  1. Stevens loves bigs who can spread the floor and pass. I believe Ayton is already excellent at one of these things: shooting for a big.  He is above 70% on free throws and is automatic from midrange. As far as passing,  he is definitely above average and can operate from the high post like Al Horford.  He also has some switchability defensively because of his super human lateral quickness. Perfect fit for our system on both ends.

The other  thing: “who fills a need?” I also believe Ayton is the best answer to this question.  We could use some size up front especially with Baynes a FA.  We could also use a more consistent post prensence and even though we are better on the boards this year,  we are still far from great at rebounding.  Ayton could help fix that.

In summary,  Ayton is simultaneously the best fit for our team, the player who fills the biggest need, and most importantly: the best prospect in the draft.  My answer is Ayton, and the other prospects (Bagley, Bamba, Doncic, Porter, Young, Jackson jr in that order) are not close.

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2018, 10:41:30 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Doncic = ball-handling, passing, shooting and defensive versatility.

Checks all the boxes.
Yeah, I’m on team Doncic. He’s gritty too
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2018, 10:51:47 PM »

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
While Doncic may be the most pro-ready guy and the most skilled, it'd be hard to pass up drafting Ayton to team with Kyrie, JB, and Tatum for the foreseeable future.  He could come in and help extend Horford's career just by allowing Brad to limit Al's minutes the next few years.  Al could become our version of Bill Walton. 

My wild card is Young.  Anyone who can shoot and score like that and potentially be the next Steph Curry is REALLY hard to let go to someone else.

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2018, 11:34:13 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Doncic = ball-handling, passing, shooting and defensive versatility.

Checks all the boxes.
Yeah, I’m on team Doncic. He’s gritty too

Do you read Cleaning the Glass? He’s really not sold; thinks Doncic might be an all-star, but might also be just a rotation guy. He put up some footage - Doncic having a *lot* of trouble defending former, marginal NBA players, where it looks like his lack of lateral mobility is really a problem. He also had trouble getting separation or finishing at the rim against guys with NBA-level size/quicks.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 12:14:45 AM by Sophomore »

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2018, 12:30:49 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I was watching and comparing Ayton vs Bagley.

The flat arc on Ayton's shot worries me a lot.  There is no way he is consistently making an NBA 3 without reconstructing his shot.  As the flat arc will make him clang too many shoots from NBA range 3.  Yes he is bigger and stronger than Bagley.  I think defensively he is a better prospect.  I think size-wise and phyiscal strength he is ready for the NBA already.

But watching them back to back, I'm going to say that Bagley looks like a better fit for the Celtics.  His rebounding is voracious and his length is incredible.  If he develops his game and his strength he could be a devastating 20/10 player in the NBA.  If he gets the ball in the paint nobody can stop him one on one.  The bigs are too slow to keep up with his agility and shorter players are just overpowered or not long enough to contain him. 

Marvin's shooting form looks solid.  Even though he doesn't shoot a lot of 3's  he is hitting a respectable 34% without any noticeable 'hitch' to his shot.  His 63% free throws worries me.  But our own Jaylen Brown is a 45%/40%/65% shooter.  With the regularity that Bagley scores in the paint he could be a 60/35/65 shooter.  Which isn't bad but you would hope he could push up the percentages with more practice.

There's also the Duke connection.  3 Dukies on the same NBA basketball team as starters, when has that EVER happened in the NBA?  I'm thinking never.  Marvin just looks more versatile too me and probably is a better fit for the Celtics system.  He just needs to develop his game more in all areas.  Get his body stronger and thicker, develop the 16-18 foot spot up, develop his 3 point shooting to at least get his corner jumpers consistent, etc.

I feel like the fact that Ayton is rated higher right now is a favor for the Celtics.  If we keep the pick instead of trading it for Anthony Davis, drafting Marvin Bagley  at 2 or 3 could potentially be a building block level player for the Celtics for the next 10 years.

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2018, 12:37:36 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
They’re all interesting. One thing I really like about Bagley, aside from his physical skills, is his motor and competitiveness. Doesn’t seem like a guy who’ll coast; he wants to win.