Author Topic: What if Markelle Fultz is the next D'Angelo Russell?  (Read 9493 times)

Re: What if Markelle Fultz is the next D'Angelo Russell?
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2017, 07:47:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Ive considered it myself,  but I think it's unlikely - Russel never put up those kinds of dominant all around numbers in college (23/6/6) and I dont then anybody ever saw much defensive upside in him - plus different attitudes,  with Fultz being very much a pro's pro.

I do see Russell as the floor for Fulrz, and to be honest I'm ok with that.   Russell is a very talented player and is already putting up very impressive numbers in this league,  and it wouldn't hurt us to have a D'Angelo Russell calibre scorer giving us an offensive boost off the bench as our 6th man.   It's not optimal from your #1 pick,  but id that's the absolute worst case for Fultz (which I believe it is)  then I can certainly livev with that.  Russell still has a lot of upside and could still become an all star 2-3 years from now if he can get his head in the right place.

Russell stats - freshman year in college
19/6/5 . 41 percent from 3 and 75 percent from the FT line

So yes he did put up similar numbers give and take. 

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2017, 08:29:51 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Ive considered it myself,  but I think it's unlikely - Russel never put up those kinds of dominant all around numbers in college (23/6/6) and I dont then anybody ever saw much defensive upside in him - plus different attitudes,  with Fultz being very much a pro's pro.

I do see Russell as the floor for Fulrz, and to be honest I'm ok with that.   Russell is a very talented player and is already putting up very impressive numbers in this league,  and it wouldn't hurt us to have a D'Angelo Russell calibre scorer giving us an offensive boost off the bench as our 6th man.   It's not optimal from your #1 pick,  but id that's the absolute worst case for Fultz (which I believe it is)  then I can certainly livev with that.  Russell still has a lot of upside and could still become an all star 2-3 years from now if he can get his head in the right place.

I don't think you can really say "similar numbers, give and take."

Look at it as percent difference:

Markelle Fultz                              D'Angelo Russell
6'4", 195 lbs. 6'10" wingspan     6'5", 180 lbs. 6'9" wingspan 
PPG +20%                                    PPG -17%
FG% +6%                                   FG%  -5.6%
3P% +0.5%                                3P% . -0.5 %
FT% -14%                                     FT% +16%
RPG  +0%                                        RPG +0%
AST +18%                                        AST -15%
STL +0%                                        STL +0%
BLK +300%                                        BLK -75%
TOV +10%                                       TOV -9%

Those look a lot better than Russell's. Can't sneeze at 300% more blocks, 20% more points, and 18 % more assists.

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2017, 11:20:16 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Fultz can be found on video dunking from the foul line. If he has Russell's skill plus that kind of athleticism, he's a rich man's Russell and an All-Star IMO.

You mean "dunking from just inside the foul line with the dunk being more of a throw than an actual dunk."

No doubt it was impressive, but let's not exaggerate.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2017, 11:28:08 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

I feel there is an astronomically large difference between 19 PPG and 23 PPG.  It's not that uncommom for college guys to average 19 PPG.  Almost every season the are a handful of college guys who average around that. Even for a freshman, its rare, but it happens.

But its incredibly rare for college players to ever average 23+ PPG.  When they do its usually guys like McDermott and Hield who are 22 years old playing in their 4th college season. To see numbers like that from an 18-19 year old freshman is crazy and pretty much unheard of.

That's the difference between a good scoree and an elite scorer. Its like a 21PPG scorer vs a 25 PPG scorer in the NBA - big difference.  That 4 PPG is pretty much the difference between Jimmy Butler and Kevin Durant. Butler is good, but Durant is on another level.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 12:34:34 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2017, 11:34:17 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Fultz will be a huge contributor to this team. That's enough to make us a force to be reckoned with if we also get hayward

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2017, 11:35:20 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Those look a lot better than Russell's. Can't sneeze at 300% more blocks, 20% more points, and 18 % more assists.

20% more points is jarring. And 18% more assists? Dang. Russell was lauded for his passing, and Fultz's surrounding talent was even worse than Russell's. What a prospect Markelle is.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2017, 12:04:42 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Fultz is a lot better at getting to the rim than Russell is/was. I think Russell is a better shooter.

That being said, people are too negative on Russell. His numbers stack up extremely well historically in terms of production at the age of 20.

Yes, getting to / finishing at the rim and overall explosiveness were considered two 'weaknesses' in Russell's pre-draft scouting report.  From DE:
While Russell is incredibly smooth, his lack of freakish explosiveness in terms of his pure first step and ability to elevate around the basket - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/D-Angelo-Russell-7175/ ©DraftExpress

Both are considered strengths in Fultz' game.

Exactly this.  Fultz is far superior in his ability to get to and finish at the rim.  And as others have stated, much higher defensive potential and emotional maturity. 

Looks like 5/6 other Tier 1 projects since '09 were frontcourt players (SF-C) with the exception of Wall.  Bigs are obviously more likely to impact a game, but maybe the modern NBA will benefit scoring guards more than in the past.  Either way, we've got a really good one coming in.  More than likely better than Russell, talented in his own right.   
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 12:12:09 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2017, 12:27:24 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Delete
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 12:33:51 AM by triboy16f »

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2017, 01:01:36 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

That is a staggering difference. You can see who the better player is watching film but this lays if all out.

TP

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2017, 01:59:39 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Problem is that the difficulty level of the shots that Fultz takes is on another level.

We also don't know how good Russell is going to be yet. He needs another 2-3 years.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2017, 02:18:22 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

But what If markelle Fultz is the next Day Wade

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2017, 02:22:01 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
As Danny Ainge says, you need to consider how good Markelle will be with NBA spacing and 3 point shooters around him.

He's used to being double teamed and still scoring at the 2nd highest % from mid range in the ncaa this year.

Dude is going to DESTROY with NBA spacing.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2017, 02:42:50 AM »

Offline jakeopp

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
"The next D'Angelo Russell" he's been in the league two years, lets not act like he's a bust yet. Russell was considered a great guard prospect on draft day, being compared to him isn't a bad thing.