Poll

Should NBA Teams Overpays Any Of Them?

Yes (Let them walk away, find another ring chasers for veterans minimum)
9 (64.3%)
No (Iggy Livingston Clark stays for a huge pay cut)
4 (28.6%)
Igoudala Only Stays
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: NBA Teams should Overpay Livingston Igoudala Clark to break the GSW back-court?  (Read 6977 times)

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
I don't know if teams should, but I'm sure there will be some pretty decent offers for Iggy and Livingston.  I actually think Philly should look at reacquiring Iggy.  He is the perfect type of veteran for that young team.

Tough to imagine going for titles each year to playing with a bunch of twenty year olds and a star that played in 35 games in 3 years.
Maybe, but he has 2 titles and he is no best than the 5th option now.  He started his career in Philly, played 8 years there (still more than Denver and GS combined), and got his 1 and only all star appearance there.  Maybe he wants to go "home", likes the challenge of helping turn the Sixers around, wants to start again, and just wants to cash in one last time (or really for the first time).  What if he gets twice the money from the Sixers or triple the money?  Iggy isn't a star where he is just going to make up that money with endorsements and while he has done quite well for himself it isn't like he has ever been a max guy.  He has never really had that huge contract where the money can become a lesser object at the tailend of a career.  I'm not suggesting Philly will give him a max contract, but I could totally see Philly giving him 3 years, 60 million (which there is no way he gets from GS).  Iggy is the exact type of player that would work well with the Sixers and plays a position of real need.  He brings a nice steady vet influence with championship experience.  If you were the Sixers, doesn't that just have a lot of value to your team?  Way more than a 5th option bench player value that he has on the Warriors.
Other than overpaid old vet I see no role for Iggy on the Sixers.  They have Covington, Simmons and Saric.  They may well draft Jackson.  Iggy would come off the bench for them.  Paying him 3yr/60M would be a really dumb way to waste their cap space.

Yea wow. That would be an insane deal and they might as well just burn money. 3 years 20 million a year for a guy that turns 34 next year and is already having declining athleticism? We should let you run the 76ers it would end all the fanboy posts for them pretty quick.
the MLE is something like 12 million. To get Iggy away from GS you are going To have to overpay and GS is giving him at least the MLE with 15 million being more likely.

And for the record I think Iggy would be a clear starter for Philly either at SG or SF.  He is better than Covington and Henderson.
Henderson is unguaranteed so don't expect him back.  I'll take Covington over Iggy at this stage.  Expect the Sixers to do a front loaded renegotiated extension for Covington in November.  If the Sixers do overpay for an old vet, I'd guess it would be for Redick not Iggy. 

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I don't know if teams should, but I'm sure there will be some pretty decent offers for Iggy and Livingston.  I actually think Philly should look at reacquiring Iggy.  He is the perfect type of veteran for that young team.

Tough to imagine going for titles each year to playing with a bunch of twenty year olds and a star that played in 35 games in 3 years.
Maybe, but he has 2 titles and he is no best than the 5th option now.  He started his career in Philly, played 8 years there (still more than Denver and GS combined), and got his 1 and only all star appearance there.  Maybe he wants to go "home", likes the challenge of helping turn the Sixers around, wants to start again, and just wants to cash in one last time (or really for the first time).  What if he gets twice the money from the Sixers or triple the money?  Iggy isn't a star where he is just going to make up that money with endorsements and while he has done quite well for himself it isn't like he has ever been a max guy.  He has never really had that huge contract where the money can become a lesser object at the tailend of a career.  I'm not suggesting Philly will give him a max contract, but I could totally see Philly giving him 3 years, 60 million (which there is no way he gets from GS).  Iggy is the exact type of player that would work well with the Sixers and plays a position of real need.  He brings a nice steady vet influence with championship experience.  If you were the Sixers, doesn't that just have a lot of value to your team?  Way more than a 5th option bench player value that he has on the Warriors.
Other than overpaid old vet I see no role for Iggy on the Sixers.  They have Covington, Simmons and Saric.  They may well draft Jackson.  Iggy would come off the bench for them.  Paying him 3yr/60M would be a really dumb way to waste their cap space.

Yea wow. That would be an insane deal and they might as well just burn money. 3 years 20 million a year for a guy that turns 34 next year and is already having declining athleticism? We should let you run the 76ers it would end all the fanboy posts for them pretty quick.
the MLE is something like 12 million. To get Iggy away from GS you are going To have to overpay and GS is giving him at least the MLE with 15 million being more likely.

And for the record I think Iggy would be a clear starter for Philly either at SG or SF.  He is better than Covington and Henderson.

The MLE is $8.4 million in year one, and up to $36 million over four years.  A good bit lower than $12 million.

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
The Sixers do value leadership though. They reportedly offered Ginobili a 1 yr 16 mil deal last summer, plus partial guarantee for second year. That's why Spurs ended up paying him 14 mil

Iggy is more valuable so 20 mil wouldn't be out of the question, although I'd be shocked if he went back to a terrible team
1 year/16M with a partial guarantee in the 2nd year is a far cry from 3yr/60M.  Also Coach Brown came from the Spurs and has a good relationship with Ginobili. 

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
I'm actually not sure he's better than Covington anymore, obviously in his prime he was, but he's not in his prime or particularly close. He's wayyyy better than Henderson though.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'll take Covington over Iggy at this stage. 

For Philly, or in general?

Iguodala >>> Covington.

AI2 just led the Warriors in +/- in the Finals for the second time in three seasons.

The Warriors are defined by their four All-Stars, and rightfully so, but Iguodala was again the difference-maker when it mattered most. Golden State’s sixth man led the team in plus-minus in the NBA Finals. The Warriors outscored the Cavaliers by 60 with Iguodala on the floor, according to ESPN Stats & Info.

For reference, no other Warriors’ player was better than plus-50

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Henderson is unguaranteed so don't expect him back.  I'll take Covington over Iggy at this stage.  Expect the Sixers to do a front loaded renegotiated extension for Covington in November.  If the Sixers do overpay for an old vet, I'd guess it would be for Redick not Iggy.

Yea it just doesn't make sense. Especially at those figures. If Iggy was 37 and wanted to play one more year and he loves the city maybe he does a swan song like KG with minnesota. Going from the pinnacle of the sport to a rebuilding team with questions marks is really not a common career move.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

The MLE is $8.4 million in year one, and up to $36 million over four years.  A good bit lower than $12 million.
I read that 12 million somewhere. Never bothered to confirm.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
The Sixers do value leadership though. They reportedly offered Ginobili a 1 yr 16 mil deal last summer, plus partial guarantee for second year. That's why Spurs ended up paying him 14 mil

Iggy is more valuable so 20 mil wouldn't be out of the question, although I'd be shocked if he went back to a terrible team
1 year/16M with a partial guarantee in the 2nd year is a far cry from 3yr/60M.  Also Coach Brown came from the Spurs and has a good relationship with Ginobili.

Iggy spent years playing for the Sixers, plus he's six years younger than Manu.

Back on topic, how much for either is even an overpay in FA this year? Last summer's contracts were through the roof. Luol Deng signed last summer for 4yr/72m...

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
I'll take Covington over Iggy at this stage. 

For Philly, or in general?

Iguodala >>> Covington.

AI2 just led the Warriors in +/- in the Finals for the second time in three seasons.

The Warriors are defined by their four All-Stars, and rightfully so, but Iguodala was again the difference-maker when it mattered most. Golden State’s sixth man led the team in plus-minus in the NBA Finals. The Warriors outscored the Cavaliers by 60 with Iguodala on the floor, according to ESPN Stats & Info.

For reference, no other Warriors’ player was better than plus-50
Philly specifically but probably in general too. 

Looking at the GSW on/off court differential for the playoffs, GSW team +/- was 6.6 with Iggy on the court but 7.3 with Iggy off the court.  If you put Covington on court with 4 top 20 players, he'd look even better than he does in Philly. 

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Back on topic, how much for either is even an overpay in FA this year? Last summer's contracts were through the roof. Luol Deng signed last summer for 4yr/72m...

I kind of think this is a lot ado about nothing. Iggy is very close with those guys on the warriors. He Is part of the premier team and one of the best teams in the history of the sport. The idea he is going to leave that team to join a squad that hasn't made the playoffs in more than half a decade and is one injury on an injury prone big man away from being the worst team in the league is fairly laughable to me.

This was most recent thing I found on him

https://www.forbes.com/sites/simonogus/2017/04/18/nba-free-agency-andre-iguodala-reportedly-likely-to-re-sign-with-golden-state-warriors/#4d5912657878

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I kind of think this is a lot ado about nothing. Iggy is very close with those guys on the warriors. He Is part of the premier team and one of the best teams in the history of the sport.

if the difference in $ or years offered is significant, then it'll get interesting. I agree with the posters in this thread who said they think whether he stays will depend on how many years other teams offer him.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I kind of think this is a lot ado about nothing. Iggy is very close with those guys on the warriors. He Is part of the premier team and one of the best teams in the history of the sport.

if the difference in $ or years offered is significant, then it'll get interesting. I agree with the posters in this thread who said they think whether he stays will depend on how many years other teams offer him.

Yep, it's not about the dollars as currency, it's about how they represent his value to the organization.  If a team offers considerably more, it's easy to feel more wanted elsewhere.

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

And that Deng contract is terrible.  Imagine how much better shape the Lakers would be in if they hadn't committed 34M in cap space for 4 years to Deng and Mozgov.  Maybe they would actually have a chance to sign both PG and Lebron next offseason. 

Just because some GMs give out bad contracts doesn't mean you should use that to set the market value.  The cap leveling off and the dumb GMs blowing their cap space last offseason should limit the number of bad contracts this offseason.  Just because Iggy and Livingston are important for GSW to retain doesn't mean other teams should overpay to get them.  The Sixers rebuild success is predominantly dependent on Embiid's health  and Simmons development.  Overpaying to get Iggy would make no appreciable difference but losing that cap space might actually hurt their rebuild.   

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
But who would overpay for Iggy though? Which team would be willing to make that sacrifice just to spite the Warriors?

Also, Patrick McCaw can literally take over Shaun Livingston and/or Ian Clark's spot. He doesn't have the ball handling and post game that S-Dot has, but he has the size and the versatility defensively. He can shoot three's and play off the ball. All they have to do is find someone who can handle the ball just to have some depth.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
But who would overpay for Iggy though? Which team would be willing to make that sacrifice just to spite the Warriors?

Also, Patrick McCaw can literally take over Shaun Livingston and/or Ian Clark's spot. He doesn't have the ball handling and post game that S-Dot has, but he has the size and the versatility defensively. He can shoot three's and play off the ball. All they have to do is find someone who can handle the ball just to have some depth.

Livingston seems undervalued here.  Clark and McCaw are probably close to interchangeable, but SL is still a significant cut above both.  Given how dominant they currently are, though, it may not matter as much.  Iguodala, on the other hand, should and will likely be resigned. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC