Poll

Should NBA Teams Overpays Any Of Them?

Yes (Let them walk away, find another ring chasers for veterans minimum)
9 (64.3%)
No (Iggy Livingston Clark stays for a huge pay cut)
4 (28.6%)
Igoudala Only Stays
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: NBA Teams should Overpay Livingston Igoudala Clark to break the GSW back-court?  (Read 6910 times)

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
This is the part of the GSW backcourt that doesn't really matter. Livingston and Clark are good players but they can be easily replaceable within that system especially being surrounded by Curry, Klay, Durant and Green.

I think you're underrating Livingston a bit.  He's not irreplaceable, but it's also a stretch to say he's easily replaceable.  He can very easily play on the court with Curry, letting Steph play off the ball a bit, without sacrificing size as he's 6'7" and long.  When he's playing the point and Steph is on the bench, he can be a very hard player to guard with his ability to post up smaller PGs, especially with how Golden State can put shooters all around him.  He's a pretty rare type of player, arguably unique, and is definitely creates mismatches when synergized with the rest of that roster.  If he leaves, they'll find an alternative, but I highly doubt they get anyone who can replicate what he brings.

I like Clark as a player, but he's replaceable.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Also, the premise of the thread is wrong.  KD will take a small salary hit this year to allow Golden State to go over the cap to keep a couple of guys.  I expect Iggy and Livingston to remain, signing for 2-3 years each at $10-15 million per year.  A team will have to outbid GS in number of years to steal one away, not outbid in salary.

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
Cool, Celtics should lead the way! What's that? You don't want to blow all your cap space on role players? Well, neither does anyone else.

Except maybe the Kings, cuz the Kangz gonna Kangz.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Cant link at this time, Durant is on record stating that he would take a paycut to ensure the bench is resigned.

This is why the NBA has to stop players from taking less than their fair market value. Its kills the objective of the salary cap, and stifles competition.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Cant link at this time, Durant is on record stating that he would take a paycut to ensure the bench is resigned.

This is why the NBA has to stop players from taking less than their fair market value. Its kills the objective of the salary cap, and stifles competition.
Ive got no problem with it. the PA applies enough pressure that it wont ever become a huge issue. 

The bigger issue is max contracts.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

He's going to sign a 1-year deal and then a max next year with 8-percent raises instead of 5-percent.  Depending on how the cap grows, it's not impossible he could make more this way.  In any case, the difference is no more than about $2 million total over four years.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

He's going to sign a 1-year deal and then a max next year with 8-percent raises instead of 5-percent.  Depending on how the cap grows, it's not impossible he could make more this way.  In any case, the difference is no more than about $2 million total over four years.

Okay now I need clarification. Is he or is he not taking a pay cut to ensure that the bench is retained ?

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4

Okay now I need clarification. Is he or is he not taking a pay cut to ensure that the bench is retained ?
He is making less this year then he could make and as a result GSW has more flexibility to retain their bench.

long term it might not end up being a paycut.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I don't know if teams should, but I'm sure there will be some pretty decent offers for Iggy and Livingston.  I actually think Philly should look at reacquiring Iggy.  He is the perfect type of veteran for that young team.

Tough to imagine going for titles each year to playing with a bunch of twenty year olds and a star that played in 35 games in 3 years.
Maybe, but he has 2 titles and he is no best than the 5th option now.  He started his career in Philly, played 8 years there (still more than Denver and GS combined), and got his 1 and only all star appearance there.  Maybe he wants to go "home", likes the challenge of helping turn the Sixers around, wants to start again, and just wants to cash in one last time (or really for the first time).  What if he gets twice the money from the Sixers or triple the money?  Iggy isn't a star where he is just going to make up that money with endorsements and while he has done quite well for himself it isn't like he has ever been a max guy.  He has never really had that huge contract where the money can become a lesser object at the tailend of a career.  I'm not suggesting Philly will give him a max contract, but I could totally see Philly giving him 3 years, 60 million (which there is no way he gets from GS).  Iggy is the exact type of player that would work well with the Sixers and plays a position of real need.  He brings a nice steady vet influence with championship experience.  If you were the Sixers, doesn't that just have a lot of value to your team?  Way more than a 5th option bench player value that he has on the Warriors.
Other than overpaid old vet I see no role for Iggy on the Sixers.  They have Covington, Simmons and Saric.  They may well draft Jackson.  Iggy would come off the bench for them.  Paying him 3yr/60M would be a really dumb way to waste their cap space.

Yea wow. That would be an insane deal and they might as well just burn money. 3 years 20 million a year for a guy that turns 34 next year and is already having declining athleticism? We should let you run the 76ers it would end all the fanboy posts for them pretty quick.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

He is making less this year then he could make and as a result GSW has more flexibility to retain their bench.

long term it might not end up being a paycut.

Correct.  Or at least that's how it could work if he chooses to get less than the max this year.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I don't know if teams should, but I'm sure there will be some pretty decent offers for Iggy and Livingston.  I actually think Philly should look at reacquiring Iggy.  He is the perfect type of veteran for that young team.

Tough to imagine going for titles each year to playing with a bunch of twenty year olds and a star that played in 35 games in 3 years.
Maybe, but he has 2 titles and he is no best than the 5th option now.  He started his career in Philly, played 8 years there (still more than Denver and GS combined), and got his 1 and only all star appearance there.  Maybe he wants to go "home", likes the challenge of helping turn the Sixers around, wants to start again, and just wants to cash in one last time (or really for the first time).  What if he gets twice the money from the Sixers or triple the money?  Iggy isn't a star where he is just going to make up that money with endorsements and while he has done quite well for himself it isn't like he has ever been a max guy.  He has never really had that huge contract where the money can become a lesser object at the tailend of a career.  I'm not suggesting Philly will give him a max contract, but I could totally see Philly giving him 3 years, 60 million (which there is no way he gets from GS).  Iggy is the exact type of player that would work well with the Sixers and plays a position of real need.  He brings a nice steady vet influence with championship experience.  If you were the Sixers, doesn't that just have a lot of value to your team?  Way more than a 5th option bench player value that he has on the Warriors.
Other than overpaid old vet I see no role for Iggy on the Sixers.  They have Covington, Simmons and Saric.  They may well draft Jackson.  Iggy would come off the bench for them.  Paying him 3yr/60M would be a really dumb way to waste their cap space.

Yea wow. That would be an insane deal and they might as well just burn money. 3 years 20 million a year for a guy that turns 34 next year and is already having declining athleticism? We should let you run the 76ers it would end all the fanboy posts for them pretty quick.
the MLE is something like 12 million. To get Iggy away from GS you are going To have to overpay and GS is giving him at least the MLE with 15 million being more likely.

And for the record I think Iggy would be a clear starter for Philly either at SG or SF.  He is better than Covington and Henderson.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
The Sixers do value leadership though. They reportedly offered Ginobili a 1 yr 16 mil deal last summer, plus partial guarantee for second year. That's why Spurs ended up paying him 14 mil

Iggy is more valuable so 20 mil wouldn't be out of the question, although I'd be shocked if he went back to a terrible team

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Everytime I see Livingston I remember his injury. Doctors were telling him that might have to amputate his leg it was that bad

Dont remember and dont want to see it

Was it something horrific as pg13 injury?
Much worse triboy. Except for maybe Joe Theisman's injury in football, it was about as gruesome as I have seen

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The Sixers do value leadership though. They reportedly offered Ginobili a 1 yr 16 mil deal last summer, plus partial guarantee for second year. That's why Spurs ended up paying him 14 mil

Iggy is more valuable so 20 mil wouldn't be out of the question, although I'd be shocked if he went back to a terrible team
they won't be terrible. I'd actually expect them to make the playoffs next year if they get at least decent health from Embiid, Simmons, and 3. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Philly tried to give Manu like 14 million last season. I bet some team like that pays one of those guys that kind of money