Author Topic: Rank the #1s since last Celtics title  (Read 4770 times)

Re: Rank the #1s since last Celtics title
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2017, 11:37:01 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
How would you rank the following #1s?

Derrick Rose, Blake Griffin, John Wall, Kyrie Irving, Anthony Davis, Anthony Bennett, Andrew Wiggins, Karl-Anthony Towns,  Simmons, and Fultz. 

I say:
Davis
Towns
Irving
Fultz  ;D
Griffin
Wall
Rose
Simmons
Wiggins
Bennett

I'll put them in tiers, and rank within tiers without thinking too hard:
Once-in-a-decade prospect: Davis
Strong #1's: Towns, Fultz, Lonzo, Embiid*, Wall
Average #1's: Griffin, Simmons, Ingram, Rose, Kyrie
Blunders: Wiggins, Bennett

*Post-injury. Pre-injury he belonged in the Davis tier.
None of those were #1s. And there’s no way Wiggins is in the Blunder category.
Yeah, I added in non-#1 picks who could have or should have been drafted #1. Wiggins was a clear blunder with Embiid available. Pretty much everybody smart agreed he was overrated, and sure enough he's posted negative VORP every year he's been in the league.
Well it seems ridiculous to judge a pick by comparing him to whoever turned out best from the rest of the draft. By your judgement then Griffin was a blunder because he was taken over Curry and Harden, and Rose was a blunder since he was taken over Westbrook. Once Embiid’s stress fracture was found before the draft, everyone agreed the highest he would go is 3rd. He wasn’t even in the conversation for 1 or 2 anymore, and many thought he might fall all the way to the Cs at 6.

So just judging Wiggins as a player, he averaged 22.8 points on 45.2% shooting and 35.6% from 3 as a 22 year old. His PER was 16.62. While he has yet to become a capable playmaker or defender, he is already an elite scorer. He is clearly still a very good, yet flawed, prospect who still has room to grow. Calling him a blunder already is simply premature and uninformed.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2017, 10:00:57 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
You guys are doing it wrong, especially if you're including fultz and Simmons.  Need to rank these guys as prospects when they were drafted, not how it turned out. 

Davis
Rose
Wall
KAT
Kyrie
Fultz
Griffin
Simmons
Wiggins
Bennet

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2017, 10:06:54 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Davis
Towns
Blake
Rose
Wall
Irving
Wiggins
Simmons
Bennett

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2017, 11:33:38 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

Derrick Rose, Blake Griffin, John Wall, Kyrie Irving, Anthony Davis, Anthony Bennett, Andrew Wiggins, Karl-Anthony Towns,  Simmons, and Fultz. 

I say:
Davis
Towns
Irving
Fultz  ;D
Griffin
Wall
Rose
Simmons
Wiggins
Bennett

Yeah, I added in non-#1 picks who could have or should have been drafted #1. Wiggins was a clear blunder with Embiid available. Pretty much everybody smart agreed he was overrated, and sure enough he's posted negative VORP every year he's been in the league.

Its not a clear blunder, at that time there are legit concerns about his injury. heck even now we dont know how if he will ever be truly healthy to be worth even the 3rd pick

Sure, but I'd rather have even a 25% chance at Olajuwan 2.0 than a player whose best-case outcome is Demar Derozan. Granted, if you're a GM there's some value in taking the casual-fan-consensus Wiggins, since if you take Embiid and he turns into Greg Oden then you might lose your job even if it was the correct gamble to make.

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2017, 12:08:46 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

I say:
Davis
Towns
Irving
Fultz  ;D
Griffin
Wall
Rose
Simmons
Wiggins
Bennett

Its not a clear blunder, at that time there are legit concerns about his injury. heck even now we dont know how if he will ever be truly healthy to be worth even the 3rd pick

Sure, but I'd rather have even a 25% chance at Olajuwan 2.0 than a player whose best-case outcome is Demar Derozan. Granted, if you're a GM there's some value in taking the casual-fan-consensus Wiggins, since if you take Embiid and he turns into Greg Oden then you might lose your job even if it was the correct gamble to make.
You might be the only one that would take a 25% chance at Hakeem versus Demar Derozen.   

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2017, 12:08:54 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

I say:
Davis
Towns
Irving
Fultz  ;D
Griffin
Wall
Rose
Simmons
Wiggins
Bennett

My point is, its not a "Clear Blunder"

I might take the chance on Embiid as well, but its not a no brainer like you are saying.

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2017, 12:22:21 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
KAT (durability bumps him over AD for me)
Davis (size and speed is amazing to be lower)
Fultz (defensive upside puts him over Kyrie)
Irving (shooting touch puts him a level higher of Wall's)
Wall (size gets him over DRose)
Rose (uberatlethic primary ballhandler is more valuable than secondary - BG)
Blake (has more touch and much higher floor than Ben)
Simmons (no existing shot beyond 4 ft, but powerfull playmaking at size)
Wiggins (really underwhelming impact from a 1st pick)
Bennett (cmon)
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2017, 12:56:21 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

I say:
Davis
Towns
Irving
Fultz  ;D
Griffin
Wall
Rose
Simmons
Wiggins
Bennett

Even today, Wiggins has a lot higher ceiling than DeRozan, but then it was much higher. 

And here is the thing, 3 years in, Wiggins has played 245 regular season games, Embiid has played 31.  Parker who went in between them has played in 152.  Even if you are right and Wiggins is "just" DeRozan and Embiid is the second coming of the Dream, you might almost prefer the DeRozan level player that you can pencil in for 80+ games who is healthy for the playoffs as opposed to the player that has missed 2 entire seasons, played in less than half of the other, and also missed that <.5 season's playoffs. 

There is still 1 more season to go before those guys need extensions, but if Embiid has another unhealthy year, are you really going to want to pay max to a guy you just don't know if he can stay healthy (or if you let him go to watch him become the Dream elsewhere). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip