Author Topic: Rank the #1s since last Celtics title  (Read 4775 times)

Re: Rank the #1s since last Celtics title
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2017, 09:07:30 PM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I don't get so many putting Irving ahead of Wall.  Wall is just flat out better

TPTPTPTPTP

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2017, 09:09:25 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598

Top Tier Franchise Cornerstones

Davis
Irving
Wall
Towns

Not quite franchise cornerstones due to various defects, but still quite good:

Griffin
Wiggins
Rose

Too early to say

Simmons
Fultz

Total disaster

Bennett

So 4 out of 8 of the past picks (50%) are franchise cornerstone level players. 3 out of 8 (37.5%) are in the second tier and 1 out of 8 (12.5%) is a complete bust. The odds that we get a franchise cornerstone are quite good.

Why is Irving on the top tier list? The guy hasn't proven he can do damage without Lebron and their record speaks volumes. He's a good complimentary piece on a championship team and that's it. Any team with Irving as  the primary option won't go far, given his style of play and lack of other dimensions.

Rose, when healthy is a MVP-caliber player and have proven that he can carry a team to a winning record. I'd suggest you flip each other out.

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2017, 09:15:32 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Wall is better regardless of how you make your list, too. If you're ranking quality of prospect, Wall is pretty high on the list, while Irving is near the bottom. If you're ranking outcome, they're both in the middle with Wall slightly ahead.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2017, 09:17:01 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

Davis
Irving
Wall
Towns

Griffin
Wiggins
Rose

Too early to say

Simmons
Fultz

Total disaster

Bennett

So 4 out of 8 of the past picks (50%) are franchise cornerstone level players. 3 out of 8 (37.5%) are in the second tier and 1 out of 8 (12.5%) is a complete bust. The odds that we get a franchise cornerstone are quite good.

Why is Irving on the top tier list? The guy hasn't proven he can do damage without Lebron and their record speaks volumes. He's a good complimentary piece on a championship team and that's it. Any team with Irving as  the primary option won't go far, given his style of play and lack of other dimensions.

Rose, when healthy is a MVP-caliber player and have proven that he can carry a team to a winning record. I'd suggest you flip each other out.

Yep. He's proven time and time again that he is not a franchise centerpiece.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2017, 09:22:52 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Davis
Irving
Wall
Towns

Griffin
Wiggins
Rose

Too early to say

Simmons
Fultz

Total disaster

Bennett

I mean, with that argument, we should all place Anthony Davis and Karl Anthony Towns at the bottom of the list somewhere. Their respective teams have not been able to make the playoffs, and they have more help than Kyrie had before Lebron and Love came over.

Irving has been incredible in the last two post-season runs. He is the key guy who makes the big plays down the stretch for Cleveland, and the the who gets baskets for them when they struggle and need someone to score.

I consider Irving equal to Wall. Rose would have been in tier 1 if it wasn't for his knee injuries, but that's the risk you have with any draft pick.

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2017, 09:30:45 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
How would you rank the following #1s?

Derrick Rose, Blake Griffin, John Wall, Kyrie Irving, Anthony Davis, Anthony Bennett, Andrew Wiggins, Karl-Anthony Towns,  Simmons, and Fultz. 

Davis

Everyone but Bennet

Bennet

TP!!

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2017, 09:34:07 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

Derrick Rose, Blake Griffin, John Wall, Kyrie Irving, Anthony Davis, Anthony Bennett, Andrew Wiggins, Karl-Anthony Towns,  Simmons, and Fultz. 

I say:
Davis
Towns
Irving
Fultz  ;D
Griffin
Wall
Rose
Simmons
Wiggins
Bennett

I'll put them in tiers, and rank within tiers without thinking too hard:
Once-in-a-decade prospect: Davis
Strong #1's: Towns, Fultz, Lonzo, Embiid*, Wall
Average #1's: Griffin, Simmons, Ingram, Rose, Kyrie
Blunders: Wiggins, Bennett

*Post-injury. Pre-injury he belonged in the Davis tier.

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 09:35:01 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

I say:
Davis
Towns
Irving
Fultz  ;D
Griffin
Wall
Rose
Simmons
Wiggins
Bennett

Embiid was not a #1 pick. Neither were Ingram and probably Ball.

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2017, 09:36:29 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

I say:
Davis
Towns
Irving
Fultz  ;D
Griffin
Wall
Rose
Simmons
Wiggins
Bennett

None of those were #1s. And there’s no way Wiggins is in the Blunder category.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 09:38:01 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald

Davis
Irving
Wall
Towns

Griffin
Wiggins
Rose

Too early to say

Simmons
Fultz

Total disaster

Bennett

I mean, with that argument, we should all place Anthony Davis and Karl Anthony Towns at the bottom of the list somewhere. Their respective teams have not been able to make the playoffs, and they have more help than Kyrie had before Lebron and Love came over.

Irving has been incredible in the last two post-season runs. He is the key guy who makes the big plays down the stretch for Cleveland, and the the who gets baskets for them when they struggle and need someone to score.

I consider Irving equal to Wall. Rose would have been in tier 1 if it wasn't for his knee injuries, but that's the risk you have with any draft pick.

Anthony Davis have once carried his team to the playoffs in the stacked Western conference. Irving always have a losing record with him as the primary option in a depleted Eastern conference. And when Lebron takes a day off the Cavs were just 4-21 or something in the last 2 years. Kyrie just can't simply carry a team behind his back. He's an elite scorer but below average at everything else.

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2017, 09:53:37 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227

Wall is better regardless of how you make your list, too. If you're ranking quality of prospect, Wall is pretty high on the list, while Irving is near the bottom. If you're ranking outcome, they're both in the middle with Wall slightly ahead.

Give me Kyrie any day of the week over that bum Wall. Kyries a proven clutch performer, much better shooter, and probably greatest ball handler of this generation. Everything about Wall screams loser to me - including his demeanor.

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2017, 09:55:00 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

I say:
Davis
Towns
Irving
Fultz  ;D
Griffin
Wall
Rose
Simmons
Wiggins
Bennett

Yeah, I added in non-#1 picks who could have or should have been drafted #1. Wiggins was a clear blunder with Embiid available. Pretty much everybody smart agreed he was overrated, and sure enough he's posted negative VORP every year he's been in the league.

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2017, 10:02:07 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

Give me Kyrie any day of the week over that bum Wall. Kyries a proven clutch performer, much better shooter, and probably greatest ball handler of this generation. Everything about Wall screams loser to me - including his demeanor.

Very scientific. Wall is twice the passer Irving is, and Wall on horse tranquilizers is a better defender than Irving. Irving's a far better shooter, but as scorers, they're fairly comparable. And Irving, the winner, has accomplished exactly what without LeBron James?

DKC Clippers

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2017, 10:48:29 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald

I say:
Davis
Towns
Irving
Fultz  ;D
Griffin
Wall
Rose
Simmons
Wiggins
Bennett

Yeah, I added in non-#1 picks who could have or should have been drafted #1. Wiggins was a clear blunder with Embiid available. Pretty much everybody smart agreed he was overrated, and sure enough he's posted negative VORP every year he's been in the league.

I wouldn't be sure about Embiid as clear #1. He's the most talented in the draft, no doubt. But his health concerns would make any teams think twice before picking him at #1, especially after the Blazers were snake-bitten with Oden's chronic injuries.

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2017, 11:29:31 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

I say:
Davis
Towns
Irving
Fultz  ;D
Griffin
Wall
Rose
Simmons
Wiggins
Bennett

Its not a clear blunder, at that time there are legit concerns about his injury. heck even now we dont know how if he will ever be truly healthy to be worth even the 3rd pick