Author Topic: Windhorst discusses legacies  (Read 1428 times)

Windhorst discusses legacies
« on: June 13, 2017, 04:40:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19625907/2017-nba-finals-lebron-james-legacy-intact-much-michael-jordans

Wasn't this the guy somebody said was wearing a mask for Lebron earlier this post season?

Here's why that question is relevant: James, at age 32, just ended this Finals run short of winning a fourth championship.

Now let's step back to 1995 for a moment. That year a 32-year-old Michael Jordan lost in the second round of the playoffs to the Orlando Magic, a team that eventually got roasted in the Finals by the Houston Rockets in a sweep. Jordan's attempt at winning his fourth title came up short -- well short, in fact.

Re: Windhorst discusses legacies
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 04:46:10 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
A Windhorst article? No thanks. Not giving that clown any clicks  >:(

Lebron still has A LONG WAY to go in his career so yeah to say he can't surpass Jordan right now is a little premature.

Hopefully Lebron does lose a touch though so that the C's can start to take over the East  8)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 05:01:24 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Don't like all this talk of legacies while the player's career is still going on.

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 05:04:08 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Don't like all this talk of legacies while the player's career is still going on.

Reads more like a public relations damage control than anything else.   The rabbit ears seem to be up & alert today.

"Our guy just lost in the Finals again.  Let's go after Jordan."

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 05:06:54 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
LeBron is a great player.  He really played well this series, well enough to win against most teams and one of best stat lines in the finals.   However, he has a ton of baggage from his early career that simply does not place him in same stratosphere as Jordan.   He is more of Jerry West, who also was a great player, his image was on the logo and may still be, but he had a losing record in the finals.

That being said, it was clear that LBJ was not the reason the Cavs lost the finals.  The other team was simply loaded.

This article puts this in clear perspective.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/best-players-lose-least-4-nba-finals.html/?a=viewall

He is in great company and I do not care much for LeBron as a player or person.  I would not want him on the Celtics for instance.

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 05:10:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Lebron has nothing to worry about regarding his legacy. Constantly defending it makes he and his sycophants seem insecure.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 05:11:32 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Lebron is great, yes, but you can see the wear on his body already, especially when he plays vs. Durant. Durant is faster, quicker, longer, younger. 

Lebron is well into the back 9 of his career.

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 05:14:51 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Lebron has nothing to worry about regarding his legacy. Constantly defending it makes he and his sycophants seem insecure.

Exactly.  And going after Michael Jordan, of all people, is a horrible idea.   That'll just turn more people against you.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 05:16:23 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Lebron is great, yes, but you can see the wear on his body already, especially when he plays vs. Durant. Durant is faster, quicker, longer, younger. 

Put them on equal teams and Lebron still beats Durant 80% of the time, I think. Durant joined a 73 win squad, and Lebron still made 3 out of 5 games competitive.

It's the equivalent of asking Jordan to beat the Sonics or Jazz if they added Hakeem and Reggie Miller. (I'm not making a Lebron/MJ comparison, but rather pointing out that some odds are insurmountable).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 05:20:27 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

It seems like everyone hates Windhorst. It it just cause his stuff gets clicks? Why doesn't Mike Trout, Tom Brady or Kawaii Leonard have a personal writer on ESPN.

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 05:29:52 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Put them on equal teams and Lebron still beats Durant 80% of the time, I think. Durant joined a 73 win squad, and Lebron still made 3 out of 5 games competitive.

It's the equivalent of asking Jordan to beat the Sonics or Jazz if they added Hakeem and Reggie Miller. (I'm not making a Lebron/MJ comparison, but rather pointing out that some odds are insurmountable).

Hard to say.  Not saying Durant was more valuable than Lebron in this series, a good debate for sure.  But I can't help but notice that he has slowed down a tick or two since his 20's. They all do.  And it is particularly noticeable when Durant is on the floor, a guy in his physical prime.

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 05:38:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Hard to say.  Not saying Durant was more valuable than Lebron in this series, a good debate for sure.  But I can't help but notice that he has slowed down a tick or two since his 20's. They all do.  And it is particularly noticeable when Durant is on the floor, a guy in his physical prime.

33.6 points, 12.0 rebounds, 10.0 assists, .615 eFG%

He probably tires more than he used to, but that's one of the best stat lines in NBA history, and he did it against a great defense.

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 06:38:38 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

I think the narrative that LeBron is still superior to Durant is over. They were both incredible. LeBron did take on more passing and rebounding responsibilities than Durant, but Durant was considerably more efficient as a scorer, and they are now equals defensively.

I think Durant played him to a dead draw.