Author Topic: The Cavaliers could be in deep trouble going forward  (Read 5051 times)

Re: The Cavaliers could be in deep trouble going forward
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2017, 10:36:22 AM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Cleveland waits until the asking price for Melo goes down to let's say, a package featuring Tristan Thompson.  Cavs would then have Kyrie, LeBron, Love and Melo to compete against GS for at least one year

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2017, 10:41:02 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I'm not sure.
I think even this year they should've been heading into game 6 going back to Cleveland 3-2 and playing at home to get to game 7. Game 3 was an epic meltdown that they'll learn from.

Get Korver resigned for cheap, get him playing a full season with them.
Shumperts a loss, but Frye, Korver and Smith will be fine for another 2 years as part of the main 7-8 man rotation.
Jefferson can  go.
They could trade Love but he was awesome bar game 6.
Not that it would ever happen between conference rivals but imagine Crowder +Bradley for Love?
Sign Hayward...

Gives us
IT
Brown
Hayward
Love
Horford

Smart
Jonas
Fultz
Rozier
Zizic
Yabu
Vet big
Vet big

Sucks to lose KO, Crowder and Bradley but our team is super young and incredibly talented and KO and Bradley are expiring anyway.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2017, 10:47:21 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
We should absolutely not expect us to be on their level just because we sign Hayward or Griffin. You would need to add a Paul George or Butler as well to be considered on their level next year. Then we would be in the same luxury tax predicament.

The Cavs are going to have to find a way out of the tax in 3 years time or their position will become untenable even if they do win every year. That is the time we should be looking to overtake them, not this coming year or the year after.

It is important to bring up the luxury tax question though. We are going to be facing our own problems in 2 years if we bring in a max FA this summer and then re-sign Isaiah no matter who else we keep. There are serious questions to be asked on whether committing to a core of Hayward-Thomas-Horford is a winning recipe. There would definitely need to be another step forwards after that before we would be considered championship worthy

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2017, 11:13:32 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Cleveland waits until the asking price for Melo goes down to let's say, a package featuring Tristan Thompson.  Cavs would then have Kyrie, LeBron, Love and Melo to compete against GS for at least one year

Jeesh. Thompson is young with a motor that promises to be fine for 4 years... Kicks probably have to throw in O'Quinn
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2017, 11:15:38 AM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
They'll be in even deeper trouble when Lebron leaves town again.

Just for discussion sake, where do you think he would go?

Rak

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2017, 11:19:08 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
They'll be in even deeper trouble when Lebron leaves town again.

Just for discussion sake, where do you think he would go?

Rak

Wherever might give him a best shot at a title and/or the ability to go "Superfriends: Part 2".

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2017, 11:20:01 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Lakers or Clips. Most likely Lakers. He has a 20million dollar home in LA and is already producing TV Shows. He's talked about his admiration for Magic, and he wants to buy a team some day. Could see Lebron buying the Lakers in 15-20 years.

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 12:54:23 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Problem with Cavs is Kyrie and K-Love are not doing enough. They need to be prepared to trade either or both of those guys if the right opportunity comes up.

The team shouldn't fall apart every time LeBron takes a rest.

It is disappointing how little Kyrie has improved his game over the last few years. How bad his decision making is on offense.

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2017, 01:28:20 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
There was a story leaked the other day about how Lebron's inner circle never forgave Dan Gilbert. Seems like the first shoe to drop on him leaving Cleveland again.....

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 01:44:22 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Problem with Cavs is Kyrie and K-Love are not doing enough. They need to be prepared to trade either or both of those guys if the right opportunity comes up.

It is disappointing how little Kyrie has improved his game over the last few years. How bad his decision making is on offense.

This is one of the things that surprised me throughout the season, just how bad that team was without LeBron. 

On paper that team without LeBron looks pretty good to me.  2 All-Star caliber players who should compliment each other, a double-double threat in Thompson, with another 3-4 solid veterans to fill out the roster.  If LeBron pulled a Jordan and abruptly retired before the start of this season, I would have still thought that CLE team would win 50 games.  Apparently I would have been very wrong.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2017, 01:48:39 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Lakers or Clips. Most likely Lakers. He has a 20million dollar home in LA and is already producing TV Shows. He's talked about his admiration for Magic, and he wants to buy a team some day. Could see Lebron buying the Lakers in 15-20 years.

Fakers would be a great choice. He can lead a bunch of kids to a first round defeat to end his prime years!

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2017, 01:54:32 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Fakers would be a great choice. He can lead a bunch of kids to a first round defeat to end his prime years!

also known as "pulling a kobe"

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2017, 01:55:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

This is one of the things that surprised me throughout the season, just how bad that team was without LeBron. 

On paper that team without LeBron looks pretty good to me.  2 All-Star caliber players who should compliment each other, a double-double threat in Thompson, with another 3-4 solid veterans to fill out the roster.  If LeBron pulled a Jordan and abruptly retired before the start of this season, I would have still thought that CLE team would win 50 games.  Apparently I would have been very wrong.
I don't know about that.  A big part of the problem is they have no real offensive scheme aside from let James bring it up the court and let him do whatever he wants.  That is a great strategy when James is on the court, but it is impossible to replicate when he isn't unless you have another player near his size, ability, etc. (of which there are basically just 3 other guys in the league i.e. Durant, George, and Leonard). 

If they didn't have James for an extended period, they would have to run a different system and they would get better at said system.  If the Cavs are going to stay relevant past the next season or so though, they absolutely need to start transitioning to another system because if they manage that, they will extend James' prime and won't be awful without him. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2017, 06:06:16 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

I don't know about that.  A big part of the problem is they have no real offensive scheme aside from let James bring it up the court and let him do whatever he wants.  That is a great strategy when James is on the court, but it is impossible to replicate when he isn't unless you have another player near his size, ability, etc. (of which there are basically just 3 other guys in the league i.e. Durant, George, and Leonard). 

If they didn't have James for an extended period, they would have to run a different system and they would get better at said system.  If the Cavs are going to stay relevant past the next season or so though, they absolutely need to start transitioning to another system because if they manage that, they will extend James' prime and won't be awful without him.

Has Lue been fired yet?  He sucked.  Not a head coach.  Over his head.

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2017, 06:23:24 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Love is a limited defender who needs touches to maximize his offense and Kyrie is ball-dominant scoring machine who actually isn't elite at anything else.  Of course, they're also super-talented and their weaknesses could be minimized if they ran an offense with a little more motion.

I mean, look at Golden State.  Steph is physically weaker than a lot of the guys guarding him, Klay isn't very good at scoring off the dribble and Draymond is a fairly limited one-on-one scorer himself, yet those guys and Harrison Freakin' Barnes where the core of a 73 win team.

As basketball smart as LeBron is, he still ONLY understands how to play the game in a very iso-heavy manner and demands everyone fit around him.

Mike