Author Topic: Would the Cavs have been better off with Wiggins instead of Love?  (Read 4402 times)

Re: Would the Cavs have been better off with Wiggins instead of Love?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2017, 05:00:00 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
They would have had more wiggle room on salaries with Wiggins over Love the last few years. Probably gets gassed less also. Guessing Love is gone this offseason.
they would still be way over the cap unless they didn't go all in that first season (i.e. when they acquired Smith, Shumpert, and Mozgov).  Of course they might have just re-signed Delly in that situation.

Yea I don't think they really make the same move if they have Wiggins. I honestly don't think it is very cut and dry. The Cavs really don't take advantage of all of Love's strengths. I am not sure if they would be able to take advantage of Wiggins any more for that matter. However, I do think that if you set the precedent of not letting Lebron completely dictate their moves, maybe Smith isn't signed to that ridiculous contract and maybe things work out differently with Shumpert. I think moving Love set the precedent of getting every single player they could cost be [dang]. In reality, they really may have been better off having some younger, hungrier players filling out their rotation. Deron Williams and Jr Smith both looked completely cooked this finals series while Korver looked half cooked.

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2017, 05:15:32 PM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
They would have had more wiggle room on salaries with Wiggins over Love the last few years. Probably gets gassed less also. Guessing Love is gone this offseason.
they would still be way over the cap unless they didn't go all in that first season (i.e. when they acquired Smith, Shumpert, and Mozgov).  Of course they might have just re-signed Delly in that situation.

Yea I don't think they really make the same move if they have Wiggins. I honestly don't think it is very cut and dry. The Cavs really don't take advantage of all of Love's strengths. I am not sure if they would be able to take advantage of Wiggins any more for that matter. However, I do think that if you set the precedent of not letting Lebron completely dictate their moves, maybe Smith isn't signed to that ridiculous contract and maybe things work out differently with Shumpert. I think moving Love set the precedent of getting every single player they could cost be [dang]. In reality, they really may have been better off having some younger, hungrier players filling out their rotation. Deron Williams and Jr Smith both looked completely cooked this finals series while Korver looked half cooked.

Did I watch the wrong finals?  JR Smith was ballin on the one I had on. 

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2017, 05:15:33 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I think so. Hear me out:

It is hard to say.  I think it is generally accepted that Lebron pushed for the Love deal as a "make good" move for him returning to Cleveland.

We cannot say for sure that they win the 2016 title without Love either. 

If Lebron leaves after next year then we can say it probably wasn't the right move, since I think they at least make the Finals for all 3 years with just him and Kyrie.

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2017, 05:18:40 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

He did shoot absolutely great last night, and had solid scoring games 3 and 4. He was a complete no-show game 1 and 2 to the point that they considered benching him for shumpert. He also has really low defensive awareness and that absolutely killed them over the course of the series. He is not the worst player in the world, but he is only getting worse. Slumped horribly all season and is a one dimensional scorer on a team that has plenty of ways to score.

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2017, 05:25:25 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
yeah as another poster mentioned.

comparing their stats is patently absurd.

Love is the better rebounder(by a ton), shooter(by a ton), passer(by a ton), scorer, and defender.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2017, 05:29:18 PM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown

He did shoot absolutely great last night, and had solid scoring games 3 and 4. He was a complete no-show game 1 and 2 to the point that they considered benching him for shumpert. He also has really low defensive awareness and that absolutely killed them over the course of the series. He is not the worst player in the world, but he is only getting worse. Slumped horribly all season and is a one dimensional scorer on a team that has plenty of ways to score.

Ha, ok.  No doubt he is at the age where a decline is looming, but to say he looked cooked in a finals where he had the highest TS% and eFG% of all players seems a bit off.  He was the only Cav other than LeBron to have a ORtg > DRtg.  He also missed half the season with an injury.   

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2017, 05:32:16 PM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown

Love is the better rebounder(by a ton), shooter(by a ton), passer(by a ton), scorer, and defender.

Seriously.  I think the only thing Wiggins is better at is playing 1 on 1.  Something tells me not exactly what this team needs more of. 

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 05:44:09 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Seriously.  I think the only thing Wiggins is better at is playing 1 on 1.  Something tells me not exactly what this team needs more of.
Wiggins has put up numbers, but it's fool's gold.  He does not make other players better.

As it turns out, it was a great trade (they won it all last year).  I think Love remains in Cleveland.

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2017, 05:45:50 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
well cleveland got what they wanted .....a championship. ......might not hvae won it with youngster Wiggins .

If LJ leaves , so will everybody else.

Lebron might be cooked for rings with the present group in Cleveland unless there are major injuries to GS .

I don't see how Cavs can put more talent on their team without blowing a hole in the universe with a repeater tax the size of TX.

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2017, 09:07:24 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Ha, ok.  No doubt he is at the age where a decline is looming, but to say he looked cooked in a finals where he had the highest TS% and eFG% of all players seems a bit off.  He was the only Cav other than LeBron to have a ORtg > DRtg.  He also missed half the season with an injury.   

If he doesn't have a ridiculous shooting night in game 5 his numbers are way worse. That is part of the good with jr, he will have an insane shooting night here and there. All that being said, his injury is just another thing that is going to be happening more with age. I think he is an ok bench player but he has too big a contract for that. Can you imagine how much better Cleveland looks with Bradley in his place?

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2017, 09:22:42 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

But if they don't go all in, then they just wasted the last few good years of the best player in the world and don't have a title and won't be left with a contender anyway (unless you think a team with Irving, Wiggins, Thompson, and Bennett and no other high end draft talent is a real contender - because I sure don't).

Whether they acquired Love for Wiggins or not, Cleveland was going to go all in and try to win around James.  It is the only thing that made any sort of sense.  You don't just waste Lebron James' prime without really trying to win a title.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2017, 08:27:12 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
Just so we're clear here. Everyone here realizes that Andrew Wiggins isn't good right?

He's a homeless man's Demar DeRozan.

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2017, 08:38:39 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Just so we're clear here. Everyone here realizes that Andrew Wiggins isn't good right?

Nonsense. Wiggins has improved his 3 point shot, and his game as a whole since he came into the league. Derozan can't shoot 3s much at all.

Wiggins is 22 years old, and he's a superb athlete. He's not at his ceiling yet. He's well ahead of where a guy like Jimmy Butler was at this stage of his career.

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2017, 08:54:36 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Nonsense. Wiggins has improved his 3 point shot, and his game as a whole since he came into the league. Derozan can't shoot 3s much at all.

Wiggins is 22 years old, and he's a superb athlete. He's not at his ceiling yet. He's well ahead of where a guy like Jimmy Butler was at this stage of his career.
the fact that he is ahead of one of the latest blooming stars in the NBA isnt super encouraging in itself. Also, while he can become much better that does not change the fact that right now he just isnt very good. Homeless mans demar derozan sounds about right to me.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2017, 09:13:14 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Cavs win title in 2015 if Love was not hurt lol.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)