Author Topic: Rumor: Josh Jackson has a top-3 promise  (Read 40492 times)

Re: Rumor: Josh Jackson has a top-3 promise
« Reply #150 on: June 14, 2017, 12:25:09 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
So you're just not a fan of players who beat women or do stupid things under the influence of alcohol.  I can understand that.  With such a vehement opposition to such behavior, I assume you also don't care for:
- Robert Parish, who beat his wife over the course of a many years
- Larry Bird, who got into a bar fight during the '85 playoffs

As long as you're consistent, that's cool.  If not...you may want to consider ratcheting down your righteous indignation over Jackson's behavior.

I do not.  I will say, though, that in terms of what happened in '85, since I wasn't around then but love reading about Celtic history, etc., do we actually know what happened, because I thought that those records were sealed and Bird settled out of court or something, but I'm probably wrong.  I also don't believe that Larry was drunk at the time, but, again, I'm probably wrong, as I thought that what went down was the result of his "friend" hitting on someone else's girlfriend, or whatever, right?  Am I doing okay so far, lol? ;D

OK, cool, as long as you're consistent, have fun with the righteous indignation.  Must be tough being a C's fan and having such an intense dislike for Larry Bird.  The way he shut his daughter out must really p--- you off. 

And as far as the bar fight...he was in a bar, so I'm assuming he was drinking, since he readily admitted that he liked to drink and have a good time. And he did have a fight, because he later admitted that it was his fault.  So yeah, we do know what happened, at least enough to know that bad decision making can happen to anyone, and that sometime a lapse of judgement is just a lapse of judgement, and not a sign of pathological problem

Actually, Bird's my favorite player.  Ever.  But that doesn't excuse what happened in 85, even though they weren't going to beat the Lakers that year, anyway, imo, and yes, I do know that he liked to drink and have a good time, and probably still does, lol ;D.

The principal difference, to me, however, is that the bar fight was one such incident during a 13 year career, as far as I know, and while that doesn't make it okay, it was more of a blip on the radar, so to speak, whereas with Jackson has already been involved with the cops three times during one year of college, which, while it might not be a pattern, doesn't look good, to say the least, imo.  I'm sorry for valuing character? ::)
I don't think anyone's buying your holier than thou act.

Jackson is 20 years old and none of us have ever met him. Keep your character judgements to yourself.

What holier than thou act?  These are legitimate concerns, in my view.  Has Ainge not repeatedly stated over the years that he values high character individuals?

Oh yeah, and if you're going to request that I keep such opinions to myself, which you have no right to do, btw, could you at least be bothered to spell judgments correctly? ::)  Thanks ;).
Concerns. Yes.

You don't have nearly enough evidence to condemn his character.

I have no problem with anyone who is very concerned about his character and who wouldn't pick him without a rigorous evaluation process of said character, but the rush to condemn the kid because of his criminal record is unfair to Jackson and strikes me as someone who is trying to make sure they are on the politically correct side before they make sure they are actually correct. Jackson might be an **** misogynist. He might not be. We don't have enough info to make a hard and fast judgement.

And we don't have enough info to dismiss it, either ;). And yeah, that's what I was going for, there, by raising said concerns ::).

He was a 19 year old drunk idiot who kicked a taillight.  Stupid, regretful, but that is all.  People need to get over it.   

« Reply #151 on: June 14, 2017, 12:41:31 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
So you're just not a fan of players who beat women or do stupid things under the influence of alcohol.  I can understand that.  With such a vehement opposition to such behavior, I assume you also don't care for:

As long as you're consistent, that's cool.  If not...you may want to consider ratcheting down your righteous indignation over Jackson's behavior.

I do not.  I will say, though, that in terms of what happened in '85, since I wasn't around then but love reading about Celtic history, etc., do we actually know what happened, because I thought that those records were sealed and Bird settled out of court or something, but I'm probably wrong.  I also don't believe that Larry was drunk at the time, but, again, I'm probably wrong, as I thought that what went down was the result of his "friend" hitting on someone else's girlfriend, or whatever, right?  Am I doing okay so far, lol? ;D

OK, cool, as long as you're consistent, have fun with the righteous indignation.  Must be tough being a C's fan and having such an intense dislike for Larry Bird.  The way he shut his daughter out must really p--- you off. 

And as far as the bar fight...he was in a bar, so I'm assuming he was drinking, since he readily admitted that he liked to drink and have a good time. And he did have a fight, because he later admitted that it was his fault.  So yeah, we do know what happened, at least enough to know that bad decision making can happen to anyone, and that sometime a lapse of judgement is just a lapse of judgement, and not a sign of pathological problem

Actually, Bird's my favorite player.  Ever.  But that doesn't excuse what happened in 85, even though they weren't going to beat the Lakers that year, anyway, imo, and yes, I do know that he liked to drink and have a good time, and probably still does, lol ;D.

The principal difference, to me, however, is that the bar fight was one such incident during a 13 year career, as far as I know, and while that doesn't make it okay, it was more of a blip on the radar, so to speak, whereas with Jackson has already been involved with the cops three times during one year of college, which, while it might not be a pattern, doesn't look good, to say the least, imo.  I'm sorry for valuing character? ::)

Jackson is 20 years old and none of us have ever met him. Keep your character judgements to yourself.

What holier than thou act?  These are legitimate concerns, in my view.  Has Ainge not repeatedly stated over the years that he values high character individuals?

Oh yeah, and if you're going to request that I keep such opinions to myself, which you have no right to do, btw, could you at least be bothered to spell judgments correctly? ::)  Thanks ;).
Concerns. Yes.

I have no problem with anyone who is very concerned about his character and who wouldn't pick him without a rigorous evaluation process of said character, but the rush to condemn the kid because of his criminal record is unfair to Jackson and strikes me as someone who is trying to make sure they are on the politically correct side before they make sure they are actually correct. Jackson might be an **** misogynist. He might not be. We don't have enough info to make a hard and fast judgement.

And we don't have enough info to dismiss it, either ;). And yeah, that's what I was going for, there, by raising said concerns ::).

He was a 19 year old drunk idiot who kicked a taillight.  Stupid, regretful, but that is all.  People need to get over it.

But that's just the thing - it's not all.

« Reply #152 on: June 14, 2017, 01:00:02 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Concerns. Yes.

As Roy already pointed out to you, that is all.  Why hate on a 19 year old kid?  I don't get it.

Hey, I understand some of your anger.   Do you not remember being 19 years old?  Do you not remember how some of your friends acted at that age?  The fact is 19 year olds are idiots and do 19 year old idiotic things.  I doesn't mean they are evil or irredeemable.

« Reply #153 on: June 14, 2017, 07:24:19 AM »

Offline Section301

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • Yum

Concerns. Yes.

But...you didn't merely raise concerns, you completely condemned the possibility of selecting him.  It was the vehemence of your response that got the ball rolling when you said
Under the influence of alcohol or not, I have absolutely zero interest in anyone who threatens a woman, period, let alone by telling her that he was going to, “beat her ass,” not to mention his failure to leave his contact information after backing into another vehicle, iirc, and to top it all off, he has to attend anger management classes as well as, "refrain from alcohol and recreational drugs for 12 months and write an apology letter," per his diversion agreement stemming from the first "incident," so put me down for ABSOLUTELY NOT.  How many red flags do you need?"

That's not really a position that sounds interested in raising the issue for the purposes of open discussion. 

But hey, it's cool for you to re-trench along the lines of 'raising concerns' if you want.  It's OK sometimes if people say things in the moment that, in retrospect,they may have said differently if they'd given it more thought. Kind like Jackson's reaction to the woman in the car. 

Also possible that his actions are a red flag.  Just seems like it's a little early to take that stand unequivocally.  Iverson had some legal issues before he hit the NBA, but he also ended up being a Hall of Famer....

« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 07:30:02 AM by Section301 »
Good food, like good music and good love, always requires a little sweat in the making in order for it to be truly memorable.

« Reply #154 on: June 14, 2017, 07:35:25 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Concerns. Yes.

What are the other things? A traffic ticket (Jaylen got arrested for multiple traffic violations), and being listed as one of six witnesses (including two female witnesses) in a police report involving an alleged rape. "Witness" doesn't mean he was an eye witness to a rape or that he did anything wrong at all, which is what you seem to be implying.

As others have said, there's a process. Police seem to have actually taken this stuff seriously, rather than cover it up. If Jaylen did anything wrong outside of drinking and kicking a car, NBA teams will know.

In short, allegations aren't facts, and innuendo is even worse. It doesn't mean you can't dislike the guy, but some of the remarks in this thread about what happened are exaggerated.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #155 on: June 14, 2017, 08:21:22 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Concerns. Yes.

As Roy already pointed out to you, that is all.  Why hate on a 19 year old kid?  I don't get it.

Hey, I understand some of your anger.   Do you not remember being 19 years old?  Do you not remember how some of your friends acted at that age?  The fact is 19 year olds are idiots and do 19 year old idiotic things.  I doesn't mean they are evil or irredeemable.
I get where you're coming from but also 19 isn't a kid

« Reply #156 on: June 14, 2017, 08:28:12 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Concerns. Yes.

I get where you're coming from but also 19 isn't a kid

Some 19 year olds are ready for the challenges of adulthood. So many of them aren't.  It's why having veteran voices is so important on a team, because these young adults need to learn about life.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #157 on: June 14, 2017, 10:18:13 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Mike Trudell: Jackson thinks it could be “really special” playing with Ingram. Noted how GSW+CLE didn’t play centers in “winning time.” Versatility a key.

What about Jaylen...Josh?

« Reply #158 on: June 14, 2017, 10:34:52 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Mike Trudell: Jackson thinks it could be “really special” playing with Ingram. Noted how GSW+CLE didn’t play centers in “winning time.” Versatility a key.

Ingram is seen as a player with enormous potential. Similar type of frame as Durant and the #2 pick. The following statement is a general opinion of the casual NBA-fan:

''The Celtics made a dumb mistake by not trading that #3 pick in a 2-player draft and also taking Brown only because they already have so many guards, while Murray, Hield and Dunn are much better prospects. Brown is a bust.''

« Reply #159 on: June 14, 2017, 10:41:55 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Ingram is seen as a player with enormous potential. Similar type of frame as Durant and the #2 pick. The following statement is a general opinion of the casual NBA-fan:

''The Celtics made a dumb mistake by not trading that #3 pick in a 2-player draft and also taking Brown only because they already have so many guards, while Murray, Hield and Dunn are much better prospects. Brown is a bust.''

Well the nba casual fans were wrong

Brown already looks better than Ingram.

« Reply #160 on: June 14, 2017, 10:54:14 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Except Jackson is not versatile...at all.

He on defense he can only cover SG and SF,  on offense he can only play SF, he's an average ball handler,  his got a hideous jump shot,  and has major red flags due to legitimately concerning off court issues.

Jackson to me like like a defensive role player at worst,  average starter at best.   He is my Brandon Ingram of this year's draft - massively overhyped guy who will probably be a massive bust.

If take Fultz, Tatum and even Ball over him.   I'm not looking for complimentary player with a top 3 pick - im looking for star of bust.  And I dont feel Jackson has star potential. He's just to much of a tweener physically,  while at the same time raw and lacking in elite skills.

« Reply #161 on: June 14, 2017, 11:07:25 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Under the influence of alcohol or not, I have absolutely zero interest in anyone who threatens a woman, period, let alone by telling her that he was going to, “beat her ass,” not to mention his failure to leave his contact information after backing into another vehicle, iirc, and to top it all off, he has to attend anger management classes as well as, "refrain from alcohol and recreational drugs for 12 months and write an apology letter," per his diversion agreement stemming from the first "incident," so put me down for ABSOLUTELY NOT.  How many red flags do you need?

Do you know why Jackson wasn't charged with criminal threatening?

Because two of the victim's friends - including her roommate - gave statements, and neither reported any threats. The only person who did is the victim, who moments earlier had assaulted Jackson's friend.  Even the victim's own witnesses don't corroborate her story.

Calvert said Jackson “was yelling for her to get out of the car and that he would beat her ass.” According to the Lawrence Journal-World, “That allegation is not made by two other witnesses that are included in the affidavit, although it isn't clear whether they were specifically asked about that part of the incident.”

http://kansas.247sports.com/Bolt/Released-affidavit-lends-clarity-to-Josh-Jackson-incident-51806711

That's some friend that Jackson's got there, btw (sarcasm), "Vick was found by a University of Kansas investigation in January 2016 to have more than likely hit Calvert several times in the arm and kicked her in the face in December 2015."

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/ku-basketball-news/article138906253.html

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article129703974.html

Does it at least bother you that Jackson, Vick, and Frank Mason III were listed as witnesses in the police report regarding the "alleged rape of a 16 year old at McCarthy Hall?" :o

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article128646254.html

Oh yeah, these guys are the kind of high character individuals that Ainge is looking for (sarcasm). ::)

There was a police investigation. There was proof of one crime: vandalism. There was no threat, there was no assault. Neutral witnesses never mentioned this.

Why the rush to convict somebody without actual credible evidence?

Why, then, has Jackson been ordered to attend anger management classes, write a letter of apology, and, "refrain from using alcohol or recreational drugs for a year," per his diversion agreement, if none of what you described actually happened?  Plus, we don't even know if the "neutral witnesses" were asked about the threat and assault specifically in regards to the affidavit, and I'm not rushing to convict the guy at all - his record speaks for itself. 

Sorry, I just can't sign off on Jackson, ethically, and I hope that Ainge feels the same way.

Is it fair to say that you don't know much about the legal process?

Counseling, restitution, no use or possession of illegal drugs or alcohol, etc. are all pretty standard conditions for a diversion / deferred disposition  / "filing".  Those aren't added because Jackson made a threat of violence. Rather, it's because he was drinking underage and damaged somebody's car.

It's also fair to say that you don't know much about police reports / affidavits filed in support of probable cause? The police were looking to press charges. The victim reported being threatened. The police almost definitely asked witnesses about that. Even if the LEOs didn't specifically inquire, the witness statements seem very detailed. Yet, both leave out perhaps the single most sensational allegation.

As for his "record", he's got a traffic ticket and misdemeanor vandalism. My goodness. Fellow thug Jaylen Brown was arrested for operating after suspension and running a stop sign. Danny would never draft somebody with such poor character!

While I'm sorry that I'm not a lawyer ::), the bottom line, for me, is that I don't want any individuals who are even brought in for questioning about such behavior and/or participating in said possible incidents, if that's okay with you ::).

And yes, I do realize that the police were looking to press charges and that the alleged threat was not mentioned by any of the witnesses in their respective statements, but I don't care if attending counseling/staying off of recreational drugs is standard operating procedure in these kinds of proceedings or not, because it doesn't change the fact that this is starting to look like a pattern with him, and I just don't think that that is the kind of individual who should be an ambassador for this franchise, no matter how talented.  Sorry ::).

Not that Jackson is all that talented anyway...

Just another overhyped, raw, athletic tweener who will most likely end up in the same place as other such raw athletic overhyped tweeners like MKG,  Aaron Gordon and Justise Winslow.  Such players tend to bust so much more often then not,  and to me Jackson seems to have more bust potential then any of those guys.

At least Winslow could shoot, Gordon could defend both forward positions,  and neither guy had any concerning off court issues to worry about.

« Reply #162 on: June 14, 2017, 11:12:20 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Except Jackson is not versatile...at all.

He on defense he can only cover SG and SF,  on offense he can only play SF, he's an average ball handler,  his got a hideous jump shot,  and has major red flags due to legitimately concerning off court issues.

Jackson to me like like a defensive role player at worst,  average starter at best.   He is my Brandon Ingram of this year's draft - massively overhyped guy who will probably be a massive bust.

If take Fultz, Tatum and even Ball over him.   I'm not looking for complimentary player with a top 3 pick - im looking for star of bust.  And I dont feel Jackson has star potential. He's just to much of a tweener physically,  while at the same time raw and lacking in elite skills.

NBADraft.net:
One of the main things that jumps out at you is JJ's versatility on both sides of the ball
DraftExpress:
Outlook: Super versatile wing player.
Chad Ford:
Jackson is probably the best fit for Phoenix in the draft. He's a versatile two-way wing who is great in the open court,
CBS Sports:
Josh Jackson is the best two-way player in this year’s draft. As tall as Draymond Green (6’8″) and as athletic as Andrew Wiggins, Jackson can go into any system without disrupting the offense. (Kawhi Leonard came into the NBA as a similar prospect on both offense and defense.) His versatility on offense, mixed with his ability to guard multiple positions, would make him as a great fit anywhere.

Of course, we're all entitled to our opinions.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #163 on: June 14, 2017, 11:13:03 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Jackson is far better than Winslow and Gordon.  Comparing a very good player to two stiffs?

« Reply #164 on: June 14, 2017, 11:27:39 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Jackson is far better than Winslow and Gordon.  Comparing a very good player to two stiffs?

Jackson reminds me of Iguadala