Author Topic: Rumor: Josh Jackson has a top-3 promise  (Read 40301 times)

Re: Rumor: Josh Jackson has a top-3 promise
« Reply #135 on: June 13, 2017, 11:24:02 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Thread made me think- imagine if we had gotten stuck with Dunn. What a wasted pick that would  have been

Yet how many wanted to crucify Danny for not selecting Dunn? Dunn's perceived rise was always peculiar to me. He was part of the 3-8 morass for the entire pre-Draft process, then all of a sudden in the last 2-3 days before the draft he was the "consensus" #3. Whatever, I was glad we didn't take him at the time, and I'm thrilled we don't have him now.I a
I was  mad about the brown pick cuz he was projected to go 8, but honestly the other guys were jokes. That one euro I forget his name hasn't amounted to much. Dunn is a joke. Hield is a chucker

Who is Dragan Bender, for 100, Alex? ;D In fairness to him, didn't he get hurt during the year?

Yes, he missed a good chunk of the season. I still like him a lot. He's like a not-as-good Jonathan Isaac.

Trivia factoid:  Dragan Bender (19.6) is younger than Jonathan Isaac (19.7).   Bender is, in fact, still younger than most of the kids in this year's draft.

The kid is still extremely young and full of potential.  He's quite a bit taller than Isaac, though yeah, similar type of game.  Stretch 4 who can defend on the perimeter and run the floor.

Both have interesting potential and both probably could use a little touch of aggressive confidence.  I.E., they both defer too much at this point.  Probably because they are both still so young.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #136 on: June 13, 2017, 11:32:14 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
So you're just not a fan of players who beat women or do stupid things under the influence of alcohol.  I can understand that.  With such a vehement opposition to such behavior, I assume you also don't care for:
- Robert Parish, who beat his wife over the course of a many years
- Larry Bird, who got into a bar fight during the '85 playoffs

As long as you're consistent, that's cool.  If not...you may want to consider ratcheting down your righteous indignation over Jackson's behavior.

I do not.  I will say, though, that in terms of what happened in '85, since I wasn't around then but love reading about Celtic history, etc., do we actually know what happened, because I thought that those records were sealed and Bird settled out of court or something, but I'm probably wrong.  I also don't believe that Larry was drunk at the time, but, again, I'm probably wrong, as I thought that what went down was the result of his "friend" hitting on someone else's girlfriend, or whatever, right?  Am I doing okay so far, lol? ;D

OK, cool, as long as you're consistent, have fun with the righteous indignation.  Must be tough being a C's fan and having such an intense dislike for Larry Bird.  The way he shut his daughter out must really p--- you off. 

And as far as the bar fight...he was in a bar, so I'm assuming he was drinking, since he readily admitted that he liked to drink and have a good time. And he did have a fight, because he later admitted that it was his fault.  So yeah, we do know what happened, at least enough to know that bad decision making can happen to anyone, and that sometime a lapse of judgement is just a lapse of judgement, and not a sign of pathological problem

Actually, Bird's my favorite player.  Ever.  But that doesn't excuse what happened in 85, even though they weren't going to beat the Lakers that year, anyway, imo, and yes, I do know that he liked to drink and have a good time, and probably still does, lol ;D.

The principal difference, to me, however, is that the bar fight was one such incident during a 13 year career, as far as I know, and while that doesn't make it okay, it was more of a blip on the radar, so to speak, whereas with Jackson has already been involved with the cops three times during one year of college, which, while it might not be a pattern, doesn't look good, to say the least, imo.  I'm sorry for valuing character? ::)

« Reply #137 on: June 13, 2017, 11:34:46 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
considering there are reports that Fultz is going to workout for LA tomorrow, It seems that the promise had been made by Philly.

« Reply #138 on: June 13, 2017, 11:35:36 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Thread made me think- imagine if we had gotten stuck with Dunn. What a wasted pick that would  have been

Yet how many wanted to crucify Danny for not selecting Dunn? Dunn's perceived rise was always peculiar to me. He was part of the 3-8 morass for the entire pre-Draft process, then all of a sudden in the last 2-3 days before the draft he was the "consensus" #3. Whatever, I was glad we didn't take him at the time, and I'm thrilled we don't have him now.

Since I was very clearly wrong about Dunn, is it okay if I ask you what made him an overrated prospect, in your eyes?  Was it his age?  Scoring output?  Medical concerns?  Some combination?  Just curious :).

To be clear, I didn't think a Dunn was bad. In hindsight, I was too high on him, but I thought the clear #3 stuff was ridiculous and a ploy to boost the value of the pick. What made me lower than some was probably a combination of age, lack of production until late in his career, and a lack of belief in his entire offensive skillset. I loved his physical profile, though.

He was hurt, though, and what was it about his offensive ability that gave you pause?  Was it his jumper, or something else?

« Reply #139 on: June 13, 2017, 11:37:30 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
So you're just not a fan of players who beat women or do stupid things under the influence of alcohol.  I can understand that.  With such a vehement opposition to such behavior, I assume you also don't care for:

As long as you're consistent, that's cool.  If not...you may want to consider ratcheting down your righteous indignation over Jackson's behavior.

I do not.  I will say, though, that in terms of what happened in '85, since I wasn't around then but love reading about Celtic history, etc., do we actually know what happened, because I thought that those records were sealed and Bird settled out of court or something, but I'm probably wrong.  I also don't believe that Larry was drunk at the time, but, again, I'm probably wrong, as I thought that what went down was the result of his "friend" hitting on someone else's girlfriend, or whatever, right?  Am I doing okay so far, lol? ;D

OK, cool, as long as you're consistent, have fun with the righteous indignation.  Must be tough being a C's fan and having such an intense dislike for Larry Bird.  The way he shut his daughter out must really p--- you off. 

And as far as the bar fight...he was in a bar, so I'm assuming he was drinking, since he readily admitted that he liked to drink and have a good time. And he did have a fight, because he later admitted that it was his fault.  So yeah, we do know what happened, at least enough to know that bad decision making can happen to anyone, and that sometime a lapse of judgement is just a lapse of judgement, and not a sign of pathological problem

Actually, Bird's my favorite player.  Ever.  But that doesn't excuse what happened in 85, even though they weren't going to beat the Lakers that year, anyway, imo, and yes, I do know that he liked to drink and have a good time, and probably still does, lol ;D.

The principal difference, to me, however, is that the bar fight was one such incident during a 13 year career, as far as I know, and while that doesn't make it okay, it was more of a blip on the radar, so to speak, whereas with Jackson has already been involved with the cops three times during one year of college, which, while it might not be a pattern, doesn't look good, to say the least, imo.  I'm sorry for valuing character? ::)
I don't think anyone's buying your holier than thou act.

Jackson is 20 years old and none of us have ever met him. Keep your character judgements to yourself.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #140 on: June 13, 2017, 11:43:25 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Oops.

« Reply #141 on: June 13, 2017, 11:46:39 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Jackson is 20 years old and none of us have ever met him. Keep your character judgements to yourself.

What holier than thou act?  These are legitimate concerns, in my view.  Has Ainge not repeatedly stated over the years that he values high character individuals?

Oh yeah, and if you're going to request that I keep such opinions to myself, which you have no right to do, btw, could you at least be bothered to spell judgments correctly? ::)  Thanks ;).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 11:55:05 PM by Beat LA »

« Reply #142 on: June 13, 2017, 11:56:24 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Yet how many wanted to crucify Danny for not selecting Dunn? Dunn's perceived rise was always peculiar to me. He was part of the 3-8 morass for the entire pre-Draft process, then all of a sudden in the last 2-3 days before the draft he was the "consensus" #3. Whatever, I was glad we didn't take him at the time, and I'm thrilled we don't have him now.

Since I was very clearly wrong about Dunn, is it okay if I ask you what made him an overrated prospect, in your eyes?  Was it his age?  Scoring output?  Medical concerns?  Some combination?  Just curious :).

To be clear, I didn't think a Dunn was bad. In hindsight, I was too high on him, but I thought the clear #3 stuff was ridiculous and a ploy to boost the value of the pick. What made me lower than some was probably a combination of age, lack of production until late in his career, and a lack of belief in his entire offensive skillset. I loved his physical profile, though.

He was hurt, though, and what was it about his offensive ability that gave you pause?  Was it his jumper, or something else?

Turnover problems and a general inability to score. I think his shot is probably adequate but unspectacular (see John Wall), but as a guard you have to be pretty spectacular in all other facets of offense (see John Wall) to be effective; Dunn isn't.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #143 on: June 14, 2017, 12:01:47 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

Character is an important part of the draft process. Jackson is undoubtedly answering countless questions about his history from teams, and if they do not find his answers/explanations satisfactory, he will drop. I'm not going to pretend to know what actually happened, nor am I going to convict Jackson without proper knowledge of the situation, but it is naive to pretend character questions are not a part of Jackson's profile as a prospect.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #144 on: June 14, 2017, 12:11:15 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Character is an important part of the draft process. Jackson is undoubtedly answering countless questions about his history from teams, and if they do not find his answers/explanations satisfactory, he will drop. I'm not going to pretend to know what actually happened, nor am I going to convict Jackson without proper knowledge of the situation, but it is naive to pretend character questions are not a part of Jackson's profile as a prospect.
Yeah absolutely.

It's ridiculous to condemn the guy because you read about an incident or two with the police.

It's not ridiculous to condemn his character after an in depth investigation where you talk to his coaches at college and before and get a chance to interview the player a few times.

It seems to be people read that he may have threatened this woman and immediately condemned him. I don't think that's fair.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #145 on: June 14, 2017, 12:13:11 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

Yet how many wanted to crucify Danny for not selecting Dunn? Dunn's perceived rise was always peculiar to me. He was part of the 3-8 morass for the entire pre-Draft process, then all of a sudden in the last 2-3 days before the draft he was the "consensus" #3. Whatever, I was glad we didn't take him at the time, and I'm thrilled we don't have him now.I a
I was  mad about the brown pick cuz he was projected to go 8, but honestly the other guys were jokes. That one euro I forget his name hasn't amounted to much. Dunn is a joke. Hield is a chucker

Who is Dragan Bender, for 100, Alex? ;D In fairness to him, didn't he get hurt during the year?

Yes, he missed a good chunk of the season. I still like him a lot. He's like a not-as-good Jonathan Isaac.

Trivia factoid:  Dragan Bender (19.6) is younger than Jonathan Isaac (19.7).   Bender is, in fact, still younger than most of the kids in this year's draft.

The kid is still extremely young and full of potential.  He's quite a bit taller than Isaac, though yeah, similar type of game.  Stretch 4 who can defend on the perimeter and run the floor.

Both have interesting potential and both probably could use a little touch of aggressive confidence.  I.E., they both defer too much at this point.  Probably because they are both still so young.

They're both atypical top-7 picks in that they're both complimentary players, but an elite complimentary is extremely valuable (see Draymond Green). If Bender and Isaac hit their ceilings, they'll be able to defend the rim, defend the perimeter, hit threes at a high clip, run the floor, always make the right pass, and Isaac could be a dominant rebounder. They're superstar role players, which might not be sexy in the top half of the lottery, but leads to team success down the road. Think, for example, what Isaac would be able to do playing alongside Towns for the next decade+.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #146 on: June 14, 2017, 12:15:56 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

What holier than thou act?  These are legitimate concerns, in my view.  Has Ainge not repeatedly stated over the years that he values high character individuals?

Oh yeah, and if you're going to request that I keep such opinions to myself, which you have no right to do, btw, could you at least be bothered to spell judgments correctly? ::)  Thanks ;).
Concerns. Yes.

You don't have nearly enough evidence to condemn his character.

I have no problem with anyone who is very concerned about his character and who wouldn't pick him without a rigorous evaluation process of said character, but the rush to condemn the kid because of his criminal record is unfair to Jackson and strikes me as someone who is trying to make sure they are on the politically correct side before they make sure they are actually correct. Jackson might be an Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. misogynist. He might not be. We don't have enough info to make a hard and fast judgement.

« Reply #147 on: June 14, 2017, 12:17:31 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson

Yeah absolutely.

It's ridiculous to condemn the guy because you read about an incident or two with the police.

It's not ridiculous to condemn his character after an in depth investigation where you talk to his coaches at college and before and get a chance to interview the player a few times.

It seems to be people read that he may have threatened this woman and immediately condemned him. I don't think that's fair.

It's not, which is why we, as amateur draft enthusiasts, should acknowledge that there are questions that don't exist for other prospects, that teams will have access to information that we don't, and that if he falls, it might not be because GMs are stupid, but because they know something that we don't. Not to minimize accusations like these, but it's essentially the same scenario as a prospect with potentially recurring injuries; information is key, and we simply have to acknowledge our own ignorance.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #148 on: June 14, 2017, 12:20:12 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Concerns. Yes.

You don't have nearly enough evidence to condemn his character.

I have no problem with anyone who is very concerned about his character and who wouldn't pick him without a rigorous evaluation process of said character, but the rush to condemn the kid because of his criminal record is unfair to Jackson and strikes me as someone who is trying to make sure they are on the politically correct side before they make sure they are actually correct. Jackson might be an **** misogynist. He might not be. We don't have enough info to make a hard and fast judgement.

And we don't have enough info to dismiss it, either ;). And yeah, that's what I was going for, there, by raising said concerns ::).

« Reply #149 on: June 14, 2017, 12:22:27 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Turnover problems and a general inability to score. I think his shot is probably adequate but unspectacular (see John Wall), but as a guard you have to be pretty spectacular in all other facets of offense (see John Wall) to be effective; Dunn isn't.

Fair enough.  TP :).