Author Topic: Rumor: Josh Jackson has a top-3 promise  (Read 40092 times)

Re: Rumor: Josh Jackson has a top-3 promise
« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2017, 01:14:04 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
imo Jackson's the only one with a chance to go #1 if not Fultz.  Not working out with C's does not cancel possibility of his going #1.

IF Celts wanted Jackson, they'd love to trade Fultz to Philly for Jackson plus something....but Lakers make that plan risky.  A trade of Fultz to LA for Jackson plus ____ is much more unlikely than a deal would be with Philly.

So, if Danny likes Jackson he has to decide whether to just take him or to try and trade Fultz for him, getting himself a little something extra in the process but risking losing him to the Lakers. 

Most likely scenario: 
Danny takes and keeps Fultz

Next most likely:
Fultz and something for Butler/George and something.

Third most likely:
Jackson at #1 (or Fultz traded for Jackson plus____)

« Reply #106 on: June 13, 2017, 04:06:34 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Ryan Ward: Josh Jackson will be working out at the Lakers practice facility today at around 3:30 or 4 #Lakers – via Twitter RyanWardLA

« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2017, 04:35:21 PM »

Offline LakersFan_33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
Do you guys have Jax #2 on your big boards? I do and I really like him, but the spacing with he, Ingram, Russell, Randle and Zubac would be really bad. Ingram and Jax might turn into better outside shooters, but you're really taking a risk there.

« Reply #108 on: June 13, 2017, 04:39:21 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
Do you guys have Jax #2 on your big boards? I do and I really like him, but the spacing with he, Ingram, Russell, Randle and Zubac would be really bad. Ingram and Jax might turn into better outside shooters, but you're really taking a risk there.

Outside of Fultz, he was the guy I was enamored with the most.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #109 on: June 13, 2017, 04:41:03 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Jackson seems like the closest to at least a serviceable player with added benefit of the slight chance of becoming a superstar. His defense will get him on the court.

Tatum has nice measurables but who knows beyond that.

Fultz seems like he could be like Devin Booker or James Harden. I think evaluating Fultz will be hard for a lot of people for the same reasons that evaluating Marcus Smart is hard. Fultz will have good numbers but what if he offers nothing on defense? Smart is the opposite.

« Reply #110 on: June 13, 2017, 04:47:24 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
If Jackson has a promise at 2 or 3, what is the logic behind skipping the workout with #1?

Could be any number of things. It could be something personal, like a desire to live in LA, or maybe he wants to go somewhere where he can play a big role.

Ball, Jackson no diff

How could they not want to play for the Celtics... Foolish

As I said, they could value stepping right into a big role over winning in a bench role. This is not a new concept. Kris Dunn did the same exact thing last year.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #111 on: June 13, 2017, 04:56:16 PM »

Offline LakersFan_33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
The thing (or one of the things) that concerns me about Ball is that...If you're not willing to put your ass in gear and make sure you're completely ready and in shape for the one workout you're going to do (with the team you prefer), does that also mean you're going to slack off during the summer or regular season when it's time to put in the hard work that will define how good of a player you will become?

Jackson seems different - seems like he's got that drive, hunger, etc. that Ball doesn't have. Only other guy who has that is Fox, but I don't think he's as good of a prospect.

« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2017, 05:05:29 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Quote from: Sketch5 date=1497310842
. Jackson is suppose to have a work out with Bos, lets see if he cancels that.

link?

I saw it some where on here, and herd it on one of the sport show, don't ask which one, they tend to blur. It could even have been they are trying for one, but I swear that had one locked in at some point.

There's your answer:

High lottery pick Josh Jackson canceled today's workout with the Boston Celtics, source told me and @MarcJSpearsESPN.

https://twitter.com/goodmanespn/status/874464847303516161

What is this supposed to intimate? Why would he cancel a visit to the team with the number one pick other than A) Danny telling him he's straight up not going to pick him or B) Danny giving him a draft promise?

I'd much rather have A than B in this scenario (most likely meaning Danny has already decided on picking Fultz, which I think has already happened anyways), but I don't see either of them as likely at all. And I wouldn't understand the logic of canceling with the top pick just because you have a promise from LA or Philly.

Magic:  Kid, we will promise to take you, but only if you don't work out for the Celtics.  If they pick you without working you out, that's nice and nothing we can complain about.  But if you work out for them and are still on the board for us, we'll pass and you can enjoy Philadelphia.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #113 on: June 13, 2017, 05:14:51 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Lakers still planning to workout fox and meet with fultz...yet gave a promise to jackson?

Teams generally want to work out / interview as many of the top players as they can.  Even players they don't expect to draft or even have a chance to draft.  Danny does this every year.   Danny is only allowed to talk with players during certain points in their careers when they aren't under contract and he has talked about how important it is to gather as much information on as many players as you can when you can.  Similarly, on the  opening night for free agency he will call a zillion free agents, even those he can't possibly sign.

I'm sure LAL is operating with a similar philosophy.  Hence even if they privately gave a promise to Jackson they would be mum about that and present the image of still being undecided so that agents will send their clients in to work out.  So that they can gather intel about Fox and other top picks.

Similarly, that's why Danny would be completely non-committal about his feelings about Fultz.  If he came out and was all glowing and effusive with Markelle love after his workout, he'd never get anyone else in to work out.   As it is, of course, Ball and Jackson have cancelled on him because their agents probably see the tea leaves clearly.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2017, 07:09:05 PM »

Offline Bostonborn62

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Hustle like Cowens or have a seat
My prediction is "at some point Lonzo will be getting the Colin Kaepernick treatment because of his Dad". People will rebel and reject their whole BBB self absorbed package, Lonzo and all.I do wish Lonzo well but I wonder how long it is before Lonzo starts distancing himself from his Dad??

« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2017, 07:19:08 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 864
  • GOT IT!!!

1. Fultz
2. Jackson
3. Tatum
4. Ball

« Reply #116 on: June 13, 2017, 07:53:06 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
If Jackson has a promise at 2 or 3, what is the logic behind skipping the workout with #1?

Could be any number of things. It could be something personal, like a desire to live in LA, or maybe he wants to go somewhere where he can play a big role.

Ball, Jackson no diff

How could they not want to play for the Celtics... Foolish

As I said, they could value stepping right into a big role over winning in a bench role. This is not a new concept. Kris Dunn did the same exact thing last year.

Well, that didn't work out well for him at all. Also, the Celtics never had any interest in Dunn, Ainge knew he was going to be a bust and was quoted saying he didn't want to get stuck with him if he drafted him and teams didn't offer a good enough trade for him.

« Reply #117 on: June 13, 2017, 08:20:44 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Yes, I really like Jackson.  He would be a good addition for the Lakers. Although I still think they are going to draft Ball.

« Reply #118 on: June 13, 2017, 08:35:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Yes, I really like Jackson.  He would be a good addition for the Lakers. Although I still think they are going to draft Ball.

I don't... Lakers are going to pick Jackson
Ball to the 76ers

« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2017, 08:44:27 PM »

Offline Kaz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 73
Probably the Sixers if true, but I think in terms of best fit for the top 5:

BOS: Fultz - desperately need a scoring option; riding Isaiah into the dirt isn't a pleasant option for 2017-18 considering his injury and size risk.

LA: Ball - need a true facilitator to get potential scoring threats like Ingram and Russell good looks.

PHI: Tatum - no clear cut #1 option on offense; kid can get buckets while Simmons dishes out looks and Embiid crashes the glass.

PHX: Jackson - Suns have a gaping hole at SF and can often play lackadaisical; his intensity and explosiveness could be the igniter.

SAC: Fox - blazing speed and lockdown d; can pray that Fox and Buddy develop into the next Wall and Beal