Author Topic: The History of the Infamous Lakers/Sacramento Pick  (Read 7039 times)

Re: The History of the Infamous Lakers/Sacramento Pick
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2017, 08:06:36 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
They were trying to clear space to sign some free agents, which ended up being Rondo, Koufos, and Belinelli. I don't remember who their original targets were, but they were predictably rebuffed by any player who actually had options.

It's just the age old story of a team thinking they would play a lot better than they did, or delusionally thinking that they could actually attract some real talent to play for them.

Thanks for that, TP.

It certainly seems to vindicate the Process, and Hinkie. Can't see any non-major market team trading away first rounders now.

Interesting, that not only does Philly have 3 probable multi-year all stars, but they seem to have ultimately won the PR battle.

https://clutchpoints.com/76ers-record-breaking-ticket-sales-anticipation/
This was always going to happen.  Embiid's second injury set the timeline back a bit, but this was always going to be the result.  The real question is of course, what will the win/loss result end up being as that is the true measure of whether or not the Process was a success. 

I really wonder what Hinkie would have been able to do with the team building phase if he was given the chance to do it.  He had no real team building sense early on, but he wasn't trying to do that.  He is such a smart guy, I think he would have figured out how to build the team and add the right pieces around the players.  Instead Philly is stuck with the Colangelo's who will probably mess it up and then Hinkie will get blamed even though it wouldn't have been his fault.

It is a bit humorous to me. The TWolves have a star center prospect that was in the conversation for the all-star game last year that has zero serious injury concerns at this time. They just got a top 20 player in the NBA in his prime in Butler. They have Wiggins, who was hyped as a perennial all-star, but has only proven to be an elite scorer so far in his NBA career.
They have a solid big in Dieng that averaged 10 and 8 last year on 50% shooting and started to flash a 3 point shot on very low volume. They have a league average veteran point guard that is a very good passer and defender. They have 85 million in committed salary for next season and 11 million of that is to an expiring Pecovic. Yet everyone is losing their mind for the 76ers team that has players with serious injury issues and two other completely unproven players and we never talk about the Wolves..
The Wolves had a very bright future before they traded for Butler, who should help balance out the roster a bit.  I still don't like the Towns and Dieng fit, but swapping Lavine for Butler should immensely help the backcourt balance.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Wolves ended up 4th in the West next year (obviously pending free agency).  Similarly if the Sixers end up with someone like Redick to help balance the backcourt, I could see them possibly being a top 6 team in the East (obviously again pending free agency).  I mean it isn't unrealistic to see a 15 game win jump adding Simmons, Fultz, Embiid, and Redick.

But you are projecting the Wolves could be 4th in the west (a tougher conference) and you are saying maybe the 76ers could end up 6th if they maybe convince a sought after 33 year old free agent that has never won a ring in his career to join them for a potential first round exit.

So wouldn't that imply the Wolves are at a lot more exciting position?

It is also interesting that I have seen you argue in other threads that rookies don't really have an impact on wins unless it is a shaq or lebron type talent yet you are saying the 76ers get a 15 jump from having simmons and fultz. They are not really "adding" embiid considering 60% of their wins last year came with him playing and he is hardly expected to play 82 games this year.

Did you come up with the title for the show "it's always sunny in Philadelphia"? It seems to be your disposition for assessing their team. In the last two weeks you have argued you could see them getting Iggy, Lowry and now Reddick.
The TWolves with all their advantages only won 3 more games than the Sixers last season.  The predominant reason they are interesting now is the Butler trade.  Maybe they'll actually start to play some defense.  Their team +/- with Towns on court was -0.3 and with him off court -0.8.  Their team +/- with Wiggins on court was -0.2 and with him off court -0.9.  So they just sucked slightly more with them off court. 

Contrast that against the Sixers with Embiid's huge impact on court at 2.2 versus off court at -6.5.   Embiid staying healthy and playing 60+ games will be a big addition over the 31 games he played last season.  Then they have Simmons and Fultz playing for the 1st time.  So lots of reasons for excitement for the Sixers next season.  If the Sixers make the playoffs with a healthy Embiid, I wouldn't want to play them in the 1st round. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 08:17:46 PM by tazzmaniac »

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2017, 09:01:10 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
They were trying to clear space to sign some free agents, which ended up being Rondo, Koufos, and Belinelli. I don't remember who their original targets were, but they were predictably rebuffed by any player who actually had options.

It's just the age old story of a team thinking they would play a lot better than they did, or delusionally thinking that they could actually attract some real talent to play for them.

Thanks for that, TP.

It certainly seems to vindicate the Process, and Hinkie. Can't see any non-major market team trading away first rounders now.

Interesting, that not only does Philly have 3 probable multi-year all stars, but they seem to have ultimately won the PR battle.

This was always going to happen.  Embiid's second injury set the timeline back a bit, but this was always going to be the result.  The real question is of course, what will the win/loss result end up being as that is the true measure of whether or not the Process was a success. 

I really wonder what Hinkie would have been able to do with the team building phase if he was given the chance to do it.  He had no real team building sense early on, but he wasn't trying to do that.  He is such a smart guy, I think he would have figured out how to build the team and add the right pieces around the players.  Instead Philly is stuck with the Colangelo's who will probably mess it up and then Hinkie will get blamed even though it wouldn't have been his fault.

It is a bit humorous to me. The TWolves have a star center prospect that was in the conversation for the all-star game last year that has zero serious injury concerns at this time. They just got a top 20 player in the NBA in his prime in Butler. They have Wiggins, who was hyped as a perennial all-star, but has only proven to be an elite scorer so far in his NBA career.
They have a solid big in Dieng that averaged 10 and 8 last year on 50% shooting and started to flash a 3 point shot on very low volume. They have a league average veteran point guard that is a very good passer and defender. They have 85 million in committed salary for next season and 11 million of that is to an expiring Pecovic. Yet everyone is losing their mind for the 76ers team that has players with serious injury issues and two other completely unproven players and we never talk about the Wolves..
The Wolves had a very bright future before they traded for Butler, who should help balance out the roster a bit.  I still don't like the Towns and Dieng fit, but swapping Lavine for Butler should immensely help the backcourt balance.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Wolves ended up 4th in the West next year (obviously pending free agency).  Similarly if the Sixers end up with someone like Redick to help balance the backcourt, I could see them possibly being a top 6 team in the East (obviously again pending free agency).  I mean it isn't unrealistic to see a 15 game win jump adding Simmons, Fultz, Embiid, and Redick.

But you are projecting the Wolves could be 4th in the west (a tougher conference) and you are saying maybe the 76ers could end up 6th if they maybe convince a sought after 33 year old free agent that has never won a ring in his career to join them for a potential first round exit.

It is also interesting that I have seen you argue in other threads that rookies don't really have an impact on wins unless it is a shaq or lebron type talent yet you are saying the 76ers get a 15 jump from having simmons and fultz. They are not really "adding" embiid considering 60% of their wins last year came with him playing and he is hardly expected to play 82 games this year.

Did you come up with the title for the show "it's always sunny in Philadelphia"? It seems to be your disposition for assessing their team. In the last two weeks you have argued you could see them getting Iggy, Lowry and now Reddick.
The TWolves with all their advantages only won 3 more games than the Sixers last season.  The predominant reason they are interesting now is the Butler trade.  Maybe they'll actually start to play some defense.  Their team +/- with Towns on court was -0.3 and with him off court -0.8.  Their team +/- with Wiggins on court was -0.2 and with him off court -0.9.  So they just sucked slightly more with them off court. 

Contrast that against the Sixers with Embiid's huge impact on court at 2.2 versus off court at -6.5.   Embiid staying healthy and playing 60+ games will be a big addition over the 31 games he played last season.  Then they have Simmons and Fultz playing for the 1st time.  So lots of reasons for excitement for the Sixers next season.  If the Sixers make the playoffs with a healthy Embiid, I wouldn't want to play them in the 1st round.

Thanks for that, TP.

The TWolves with all their advantages only won 3 more games than the Sixers last season.  The predominant reason they are interesting now is the Butler trade. Maybe they'll actually start to play some defense.  Their team +/- with Towns on court was -0.3 and with him off court -0.8.  Their team +/- with Wiggins on court was -0.2 and with him off court -0.9.  So they just sucked slightly more with them off court. 

This reminds me of one of those captain obvious commercial. Yes They have added a top 20 NBA player and their are now other players looking at them as a more exciting place to play. That was a pretty great move by them. It is a lot easier to imagine a vet like Reddick wanting to go to a team that already has an all-star in place on top of some young exciting players that don't have the same injury issues that someone like Embiid did (or the complete unproven nature of Simmons) than going to a team of 19 and 20 years old that have never played NBA basketball before. You can get someone like Carl Landry or a 38 year old elton brand to sign up for that gig. It traditionally isn't a player like Reddick or Iggy that can have money and play on a winning team. Full disclosure, even the 76ers fans on liberty ballers are not the cock-eyed optimist that Moranis is about their future. For the most part they are talking about getting a guy like KCP or Holiday that is at least young enough to still be good when their young players come into their own. This constant Iggy, Reddick, Lowry stuff (let alone calling Bayless one of the greatest shooters in the league) isn't something I really even see there.

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2017, 11:26:09 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Thanks for that, TP.

How can anyone make any evaluation about "The Process" when all it has produced is one guy so brittle he's played less than 40 games in three years, two guys who've never played a minute of NBA basketball, one wasted lotto pick (considering what they got for Noel), another lotto pick that looks like it was wasted, and a 22-year-old rookie who put up meh numbers on one of the worst teams in the league?

What are the odds that Embiid, Simmons, Fultz and Saric wind up better than Durant, Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka?  How many titles did the Thunder win?

Mike
Not to derail the thread but what were they meant to do, sign the Elton Brands and Joe Johnsons of the world and be most epitome of mediocrity? They were in a bad position after the Iguodala trade, their best option was to strip it down and rebuild. His error was not bringing in the right veteran voices to keep the calm on the court and keep he pressure off him.

We see Brooklyn doing a very similar thing from a worse position. Expect them to remain rooted at the bottom for a few years after the picks has all been resolved.

Personally I think Hinkie would have done a better job than Colangelo has so far. And I think it would out to rest the claims that no star will play for him. They follow success, if he had made the rebuild a success they would follow

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2017, 11:42:53 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

Thanks for that, TP.

The Wolves are further along because they didn't have injuries and they added Butler.  I'm not really sure the West is better than the East except at the top.  The West has 3 teams that might end up as the 3 best teams in basketball, but not much else in the middle especially with Paul leaving LA  and the uncertainty in Utah.  (obviously if Hayward and Hill return they should be the 4th seed again pretty easily).  OKC, MEM, POR, DEN, NO, DAL those aren't great teams by any stretch of the imagination.  Obviously CLE and BOS should both be very good again, MIL is coming on, WAS and TOR should both be pretty good (if their free agents return).  After that MIA, CHO, DET are all in the same mix as those western teams.  ATL could be depending on Millsap.  The Knicks still have Anthony and Porzingis.  Chicago still has Wade and Rondo. 

Embiid played 31 games, the Sixers won 13 of them (of course they were 8-2 in his last 10 games).  His last game was January 27th (he played in 31 of the 45 games).  Even assuming he still misses about a third of the games, if he just plays till the end of the year that is 57 games or so.  At the same win percentage that is 24 wins and 33 losses.  They won 15 of the 51 games he sat.  Even assuming the same percentage that is another 7 wins, which puts them at 31 wins (or 3 wins better) and that doesn't account for Simmons, Fultz, or Redick (in this example).  Nor does it account for expected growth from Embiid or Saric who were rookies last year (you generally see the biggest jump from year 1 to year 2 on players that get respectable playing time). 

I expect Philly to be a 40-45 win team and they might be that even without someone like Redick (Bayless only played in 3 games and he is one of the best shooters in the league). 

I'd put Minnesota a bit better and in the 45-50 win range, which if the Jazz implode, might just be enough for 4th in the West next season.

In this week's edition of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" starring Moranis. Jerry Bayless and his 36% career 3 point shooting is one of the "best shooters in the league." 36% would have been tied for 81st in the league with Butler and Karl Anthony Town, Butler has been called a poor shooter by others on this forum. Bayless had a great shooting season two years ago hitting 43% in an injury shortened campaign. However, his two full seasons prior to that he shot 30% and 35%. He would have ranked 141st int he league in his last full season. Yet, based on a hot shooting season in 2015-2016 in 50 games he is now one of the best shooters in the league. This concludes today's episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
Bayless' shooting % is quite erratic from year to year.  In his last season with the Bucks, Bayless shot 43.7 3p% on 4.4 attempts per game playing off ball with Giannis.  He'll be playing that same role with Simmons and Fultz.  The prior season with the Bucks he only shot 30.8 3p% on 1.6 attempts per game but Giannis wasn't running their offense.  Snell's 3pt% jumped to 40.6 playing with Giannis last season.  It could just be that Bayless and Snell ended up with more open 3s with Giannis running the offense. 

One concern to note with Bayless' shooting is that he missed almost all of last season with a hand injury.

I think he could be a solid shooter in the right system. But he is essentially a journeyman vet at this point that may be pretty good at hitting open 3's in the right system coming off a serious hand injury. Calling him "one of the best shooters in the league" based off one 50 game stretch is pretty ludicrous and a prime Always Sunny in Philadelphia segment.
Bayless was 4th in the league in the 15/16 season at 43.7%.  Last season he played 3 games but was right at 40%.  When he gets at least 3.1 three's a game he has never shot below 39.5%.  If Bayless gets consistent looks, he is one of the best shooters in the game.  He struggles to get into a groove when he doesn't get consistent looks though, which accounts for his more erratic shooting throughout his career.  I expect him to pretty much just stand on the perimeter and await the ball for Philly and as such expect him to get a lot of nice looks and shoot over 40% again.  Now obviously if Redick or Iguodala signs there, Bayless won't have nearly the minutes available to him, but he still should be able to cash in with the focus on other gifted scorers (like Embiid, Fultz, Simmons, and Saric). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2017, 11:49:48 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Thanks for that, TP.

The Wolves are further along because they didn't have injuries and they added Butler.  I'm not really sure the West is better than the East except at the top.  The West has 3 teams that might end up as the 3 best teams in basketball, but not much else in the middle especially with Paul leaving LA  and the uncertainty in Utah.  (obviously if Hayward and Hill return they should be the 4th seed again pretty easily).  OKC, MEM, POR, DEN, NO, DAL those aren't great teams by any stretch of the imagination.  Obviously CLE and BOS should both be very good again, MIL is coming on, WAS and TOR should both be pretty good (if their free agents return).  After that MIA, CHO, DET are all in the same mix as those western teams.  ATL could be depending on Millsap.  The Knicks still have Anthony and Porzingis.  Chicago still has Wade and Rondo. 

Embiid played 31 games, the Sixers won 13 of them (of course they were 8-2 in his last 10 games).  His last game was January 27th (he played in 31 of the 45 games).  Even assuming he still misses about a third of the games, if he just plays till the end of the year that is 57 games or so.  At the same win percentage that is 24 wins and 33 losses.  They won 15 of the 51 games he sat.  Even assuming the same percentage that is another 7 wins, which puts them at 31 wins (or 3 wins better) and that doesn't account for Simmons, Fultz, or Redick (in this example).  Nor does it account for expected growth from Embiid or Saric who were rookies last year (you generally see the biggest jump from year 1 to year 2 on players that get respectable playing time). 

I expect Philly to be a 40-45 win team and they might be that even without someone like Redick (Bayless only played in 3 games and he is one of the best shooters in the league). 

I'd put Minnesota a bit better and in the 45-50 win range, which if the Jazz implode, might just be enough for 4th in the West next season.

In this week's edition of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" starring Moranis. Jerry Bayless and his 36% career 3 point shooting is one of the "best shooters in the league." 36% would have been tied for 81st in the league with Butler and Karl Anthony Town, Butler has been called a poor shooter by others on this forum. Bayless had a great shooting season two years ago hitting 43% in an injury shortened campaign. However, his two full seasons prior to that he shot 30% and 35%. He would have ranked 141st int he league in his last full season. Yet, based on a hot shooting season in 2015-2016 in 50 games he is now one of the best shooters in the league. This concludes today's episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
Bayless' shooting % is quite erratic from year to year.  In his last season with the Bucks, Bayless shot 43.7 3p% on 4.4 attempts per game playing off ball with Giannis.  He'll be playing that same role with Simmons and Fultz.  The prior season with the Bucks he only shot 30.8 3p% on 1.6 attempts per game but Giannis wasn't running their offense.  Snell's 3pt% jumped to 40.6 playing with Giannis last season.  It could just be that Bayless and Snell ended up with more open 3s with Giannis running the offense. 

One concern to note with Bayless' shooting is that he missed almost all of last season with a hand injury.

I think he could be a solid shooter in the right system. But he is essentially a journeyman vet at this point that may be pretty good at hitting open 3's in the right system coming off a serious hand injury. Calling him "one of the best shooters in the league" based off one 50 game stretch is pretty ludicrous and a prime Always Sunny in Philadelphia segment.
Bayless was 4th in the league in the 15/16 season at 43.7%.  Last season he played 3 games but was right at 40%.  When he gets at least 3.1 three's a game he has never shot below 39.5%.  If Bayless gets consistent looks, he is one of the best shooters in the game.  He struggles to get into a groove when he doesn't get consistent looks though, which accounts for his more erratic shooting throughout his career.  I expect him to pretty much just stand on the perimeter and await the ball for Philly and as such expect him to get a lot of nice looks and shoot over 40% again.  Now obviously if Redick or Iguodala signs there, Bayless won't have nearly the minutes available to him, but he still should be able to cash in with the focus on other gifted scorers (like Embiid, Fultz, Simmons, and Saric).

Moranis please never ever use a 3 game sample size to provide  someone's 3 point percentage like you just did for last season. It is beyond dumb and I know you are smarter than that. The guy is 28 and a 36% career 3 point shooter. He has not been called one of the best shooters in the NBA by anyone besides you and perhaps one of his parents. This is a prime example of what I was talking about with you on this forum. Anyone else would say "yea calling him one of the best shooters in the league may have been a bit over the top, I do think he is pretty solid though." You are incapable with of that and just continue with the bizarre narrative gushing over a journeyman guy that half the blog struggles to remember even played for us.

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2017, 12:02:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
This reminds me of one of those captain obvious commercial. Yes They have added a top 20 NBA player and their are now other players looking at them as a more exciting place to play. That was a pretty great move by them. It is a lot easier to imagine a vet like Reddick wanting to go to a team that already has an all-star in place on top of some young exciting players that don't have the same injury issues that someone like Embiid did (or the complete unproven nature of Simmons) than going to a team of 19 and 20 years old that have never played NBA basketball before. You can get someone like Carl Landry or a 38 year old elton brand to sign up for that gig. It traditionally isn't a player like Reddick or Iggy that can have money and play on a winning team. Full disclosure, even the 76ers fans on liberty ballers are not the cock-eyed optimist that Moranis is about their future. For the most part they are talking about getting a guy like KCP or Holiday that is at least young enough to still be good when their young players come into their own. This constant Iggy, Reddick, Lowry stuff (let alone calling Bayless one of the greatest shooters in the league) isn't something I really even see there.
JJ Redick lives in Brooklyn.  Woj and several other top level reporters indicate that there is mutual interest between Redick and Philly.  Here is a post from a Sixers site with a pretty good summary on that.  http://thesixersense.com/2017/06/28/philadelphia-76ers-nba-free-agency-jj-redick-leaving-clippers/

Here is ESPN saying the Sixers are one of several teams interested in Iguodala.  And this is what they say about Philly

"Philadelphia, where Iguodala spent his first eight seasons in the league, is in the midst of a rousing youth movement centered on development, fresh culture and identity along with a new organizational objective: winning. The Sixers covet veteran leadership and someone who is still productive on the court, which explains why the team is captivated by a potential reunion with Iguodala, sources say." http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19751871/several-teams-aim-pry-andre-iguodala-golden-state-warriors

The Sixers have 49 million in cap space.  They will use at least most of it, if not all of it, on veterans because the following summer they will need to re-up Embiid, Covington, and Stauskas (though the latter they might let go).  If they have to overpay a bit to land that veteran, I would expect that.  Redick or Iguodala at 3 years, 60 million will be hard for their current teams to match.  If they have some cap space after free agency, I would expect them also to try and renegotiate and extend Covington where they get him more money this year, but pay him less down the line.  Getting Covington locked up long term in the 12-15 million range will be a priority for them if they have the cap space to do so.

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2017, 12:07:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Thanks for that, TP.

Moranis please never ever use a 3 game sample size to provide  someone's 3 point percentage like you just did for last season. It is beyond dumb and I know you are smarter than that. The guy is 28 and a 36% career 3 point shooter. He has not been called one of the best shooters in the NBA by anyone besides you and perhaps one of his parents. This is a prime example of what I was talking about with you on this forum. Anyone else would say "yea calling him one of the best shooters in the league may have been a bit over the top, I do think he is pretty solid though." You are incapable with of that and just continue with the bizarre narrative gushing over a journeyman guy that half the blog struggles to remember even played for us.
So you read my whole post and determined that because of a 3 game sample I called him one of the best shooters in the league.  It wasn't the fact that he finished 4th in the league the prior year, or the fact that in the 3 seasons where he had at least 3.1 attempts he was at 39.5% or above (those 3 games were not one of those seasons). 

I mean if a guy finished 4th in the league in a stat over the course of a season (his most recent season nonetheless), doesn't that make him one of the best in the world at that particular skill. 

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2017, 12:44:10 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Thanks for that, TP.

So you read my whole post and determined that because of a 3 game sample I called him one of the best shooters in the league.  It wasn't the fact that he finished 4th in the league the prior year, or the fact that in the 3 seasons where he had at least 3.1 attempts he was at 39.5% or above (those 3 games were not one of those seasons). 

I mean if a guy finished 4th in the league in a stat over the course of a season (his most recent season nonetheless), doesn't that make him one of the best in the world at that particular skill.

Moranis
1) You said "Last season he played 3 games but was right at 40%." Don't say this. It adds noise to the argument and is completely meaningless. Marcus Smart shot 50% from 3 in the first 3 games of the Cleveland series. It is completely meaningless and garbage to add in. I am kindly asking you if we are having a debate about a guys stats you don't bring in meaningless noise like this to confuse the argument. Most would agree that is a reasonable request.

2) Bayless is not some 2nd or 3rd year player. He has completed 10 seasons (while tried to, he has had injury issues). In those seasons he is a slightly above average 3pt shooter at 36%. The fact that you want to overly harp on the fact that he he had a really good shooting season the season before last in a game he only played 50 games to be representative of him as one of the best shooters in the league is nonsense. Just picking a random player out of my head that had a hot shooting streak Nick Young Shot 44% from 3 for a 50 game stretch last year. He isn't now one of the best 3 point shooters in the league. He is solid and shoots 37% from 3 for his career.

The best shooters in the game are guys like Korver (43% in his career, has approached 50% in a season), Curry (44% multiple seasons at 45%), Klay Thompson (42% never a season below 40%) JJ Reddick (42% in his career, a full season at 47%) even someone we don't think of like Allen crabbe (41% and 44% last season) is blowing Bayless out of the water. Back off your dumb comment or keep polishing the turd.

I also know [dang] well if Bayless played for the Celtics currently you wouldn't be calling him one of the best shooters in the league. However, following in the footsteps of your beloved Hollis Thompson, Henry Sims, Tony Wroten et al, he is suddenly elite at NBA skills.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia with Moranis, back with a full season.

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2017, 02:13:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Of course I would call Bayless one of the best shooters in the league if he played for Boston.  I mean one of the seasons with 3.1 attempts he was a Celtic (or at least half of that season).  Your most recent seasons matter a great deal in this sort of thing.  As does your usage (hard to get in a groove if you aren't consistently getting shots).  I mean is it crazy to call Kevin Durant one of the best shot blockers in the world despite a career average of 1.0.  His most recent season, however, he finished in the top 10 which makes him one of the best shot blockers in the world, does it not?  How about Kyle Lowry is he not one of the best 3 point shooters in the world, because his career average is only 36.4%?  Does it not matter that his most recent season he shot 41.2% at almost 8 attempts a game (though did just miss the top 10)?

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2017, 03:33:06 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Of course I would call Bayless one of the best shooters in the league if he played for Boston.  I mean one of the seasons with 3.1 attempts he was a Celtic (or at least half of that season).  Your most recent seasons matter a great deal in this sort of thing.  As does your usage (hard to get in a groove if you aren't consistently getting shots).  I mean is it crazy to call Kevin Durant one of the best shot blockers in the world despite a career average of 1.0.  His most recent season, however, he finished in the top 10 which makes him one of the best shot blockers in the world, does it not?  How about Kyle Lowry is he not one of the best 3 point shooters in the world, because his career average is only 36.4%?  Does it not matter that his most recent season he shot 41.2% at almost 8 attempts a game (though did just miss the top 10)?

I guess I can only just laugh at the nonsense you put out. Jerry Bayless is not one of the best shooters in the league. One 50 game stretch in a 10 year career does not make him that.

Klay Thompson, Steph Curry, Kyle Korver, JJ Reddick are the kind of guys that are the best shooters in the league. Not only do they hit at a higher percentage, they do so on tougher and more closely guarded shots. Teams game plan around getting them off the 3 point line. Bayless is just not that level of shooter and not even the 76ers fans themslves talk about this guy that way.

You are honestly the most ridiculous and stubborn person I ever bother to debate this stuff with and I can't for the life of me figure out how your brain works and you come up with this stuff.
Are you like this in real life?

Are you in a bar with a few friends and you say Steven Wright is one of the best pitchers in baseball he has a 2.31 era for 14 starts to close the season? It is tough to wrap your brain around the stuff you do. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 04:09:47 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2017, 09:52:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Hmm. JJ Redick signs with Philly.