Author Topic: The Players are taking over the League. Is it bad.  (Read 7103 times)

Re: The Players are taking over the League. Is it bad.
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 02:36:01 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Danny traded for old man Ray Allen, Ave Garnett.

Lebron started this mess and it's getting ugly fast. We may benefit now with Hayward. The Durant move made me sick.

This had been the worst playoffs I've ever seen. The best series by far was the Celtics vs wizards.

Good news is the Celtics are in line to be the next Superteam. Even still this is getting out of hand.

Should the League do something to level the field at least a little more than this.
Fultz is a PG and the 2018 pick will probably be a CENTER(Ayton or Bamba). Our best 2 players, Horford and IT, also play those positions and they are aged/out of prime(arguably for IT but is the case for Horfors since he cant defend the stretch 4).

If DA made some trades and got back real food value then ya we are on track for sure.

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 03:11:12 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Celtics screwed with amnesty clause
Then screwed with cap hike.

Essentially penalized for being good with the cap the last 10 years

How did the amnesty clause screw us? I'm just curious. I kinda forgot how it worked.
not screwed

but we didn't have anyone to amnesty since we were good with the cap

so other teams were able to get out from under bad contracts. which means instead of only a couple of team being in line for free agents, many more were

we just werent a beneficiary of the amnesty clause
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 11:45:26 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Celtics screwed with amnesty clause
Then screwed with cap hike.

Essentially penalized for being good with the cap the last 10 years

How did the amnesty clause screw us? I'm just curious. I kinda forgot how it worked.
not screwed

but we didn't have anyone to amnesty since we were good with the cap

so other teams were able to get out from under bad contracts. which means instead of only a couple of team being in line for free agents, many more were

we just werent a beneficiary of the amnesty clause

Yes, screwed.

On top of not being able to use the AC, it dramatically lowered the value of cap space and expiring contracts in the market, assets the Celtics had a good amount of. Also, only one clause could be used per team and it could only be applied to players already under contract, so we couldn't even trade for a bad contract (And an asset) and apply it then. It was essentially a bailout and an advantage given to teams who mismanaged their cap. What else do you call it when 2/3 of the league gets to use an advantage that lowers the value of your team's assets?

I call it, "Screwed".
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2017, 12:30:16 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
Danny traded for old man Ray Allen, Ave Garnett.

Lebron started this mess and it's getting ugly fast. We may benefit now with Hayward. The Durant move made me sick.

This had been the worst playoffs I've ever seen. The best series by far was the Celtics vs wizards.

Good news is the Celtics are in line to be the next Superteam. Even still this is getting out of hand.

Should the League do something to level the field at least a little more than this.
Want to level the field?  Allow hand checking again. It may be team to revisit that.  That'll reduce the effectiveness of the Curry's of the world.

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2017, 03:16:23 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Yes, this is bad.
And it's only the beginning. Watch GSW players take below market value for their next contracts, because they will make much more money from "champions" endorsements.

Unless the league impose value contracts on top players, loopholes will always be there.
Right now, each time they fix a loophole, it makes it worse for the other teams only.
This is borderline dumb.

If the league cares so much about parity, they should do something (and not let players dictate important (cap) decisions).
Or simply don't pretend to care about parity and let franchises spend whatever they want. It's like that in other leagues and the parity is not worse than nba right now.

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2017, 03:34:29 AM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
It is bad to me. No parity means no interest. I watched Netflix over any of the finals games (or playoff games that the C's were not in).

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2017, 09:53:00 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I think LeBron should opt out and join the Warriors. Perhaps D Wade should do the same.  :police:

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 10:01:49 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
It's the leagues fault. Need a hard cap and/or slots for each player:

All Pro - gets X
All Star - gets Y
Starters - get Z
Rotation players - get screwed
11-15 - get it right up the ...  ;D

Anyway this luxury tax with players making deals and all that crap doesn't work.

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2017, 10:49:28 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I have a hard time blaming the league when it is the players who want to make as much money as possible, so they are opposed to a hard cap.  Owners would love a hard cap, obviously.

I could be way off here, since I know next to nothing about the CBA and the associated negotiations.

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 11:05:38 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Kevin Durant signing with Golden State was one of the biggest punk moves that I have ever seen. There is only one person to blame for this, and that is Kelly Olynyk. If Olynyk doesn't dislocate Kevin Love's shoulder, then Cleveland may have won back-to-back titles. Maybe Golden State then doesn't have that champion mindset last year, when they came back from a 3-1 deficit against Oklahoma City. To top it off, maybe Danny's sale pitch to Durant would have had a different result. [dang] you Olynyk with how you changed the basketball landscape for years to come  ;).

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2017, 11:14:31 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
It's so funny all the people that bash on Durant. If he stays in OKC people talk about him as someone who 'doesn't care about winning' or 'he'll never win with Westbrook!'. In an era that we rate players based on the number of championships they have KD went to a place where he can win the most championships, but that somehow was the wrong move. I don't get it.

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2017, 11:38:38 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
It's so funny all the people that bash on Durant. If he stays in OKC people talk about him as someone who 'doesn't care about winning' or 'he'll never win with Westbrook!'. In an era that we rate players based on the number of championships they have KD went to a place where he can win the most championships, but that somehow was the wrong move. I don't get it.

Durant winning the championship this year, is equivalent to kids getting trophies for participating in a sports league. Neither one feels earned. Don't fool yourself into thinking Durant's championship is on par with a title that Jordan, Bird, or Magic won. Durant's championship feels like a Robert Horry title, where they were both there for the ride.

I don't understand this mindset that a player can't be considered great if he doesn't win a championship. Charles Barkley never won a title, and I still consider him to be one of the greatest players that I have ever seen. Of the players on Golden State and Cleveland, I would take Barkley over everybody except LeBron.

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2017, 12:05:21 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132

Durant winning the championship this year, is equivalent to kids getting trophies for participating in a sports league. Neither one feels earned. Don't fool yourself into thinking Durant's championship is on par with a title that Jordan, Bird, or Magic won. Durant's championship feels like a Robert Horry title, where they were both there for the ride.

I don't understand this mindset that a player can't be considered great if he doesn't win a championship. Charles Barkley never won a title, and I still consider him to be one of the greatest players that I have ever seen. Of the players on Golden State and Cleveland, I would take Barkley over everybody except LeBron.

Since when do we decide which championship was harder to win? Durant seems to have one goal in the NBA and that's to win championships. Hate to break it to you, but Durant's championship is just like anyone else's.

After the game last night one of the first things I saw on twitter was comparing Jordan's final record to LeBron's. I agree with you it's not the only way to evaluate legacy, but for the average fan that's what they base it off. KD got a max contract from the best team in the league, why the hell wouldn't he take that?

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2017, 12:40:36 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136

Since when do we decide which championship was harder to win? Durant seems to have one goal in the NBA and that's to win championships. Hate to break it to you, but Durant's championship is just like anyone else's.

After the game last night one of the first things I saw on twitter was comparing Jordan's final record to LeBron's. I agree with you it's not the only way to evaluate legacy, but for the average fan that's what they base it off. KD got a max contract from the best team in the league, why the hell wouldn't he take that?

Well lets see if KD will be true to his word..he said he will take less than the max in order for the Warriors to keep the band together. Personally I dont think the league should allow it.

The imposition of the supermax will be for naught if the league would allow Curry and KD to coexists on less than their value despite both being eligible for it.

This league is a joke right now and frankly it should just be trimmed to 25 teams so everyone can form the best team possible with talent not being watered down.

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2017, 12:57:17 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell

Well lets see if KD will be true to his word..he said he will take less than the max in order for the Warriors to keep the band together. Personally I dont think the league should allow it.

The imposition of the supermax will be for naught if the league would allow Curry and KD to coexists on less than their value despite both being eligible for it.

This league is a joke right now and frankly it should just be trimmed to 25 teams so everyone can form the best team possible with talent not being watered down.

I'm sure the Player's Association will have a lot to say before Durant signs with the Warriors for less than the max.