Poll

What player do you feel is most overrated on this blog?

Marcus Smart
19 (20.7%)
Dario Saric
18 (19.6%)
Julius Randle
16 (17.4%)
Aaron Gordon
7 (7.6%)
Jahill Okafor
15 (16.3%)
Terry Rozier
5 (5.4%)
Nerlens Noel
5 (5.4%)
Andrew Wiggins
3 (3.3%)
Porzingas
4 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Author Topic: Most overrated young player on this blog  (Read 6762 times)

Re: Most overrated young player on this blog
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2017, 09:23:47 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Agree with Surferdad on Aaron Gordon.  He seems pretty below average to me and has no skills, yet people act like he's a major building block. 

My vote goes to Joel Embiid though.  I realize that he's awesome when healthy but I don't think he'll ever stay healthy for long.  People act like the Sixers are all set and pencil Embiid in as their great starting center and franchise player.  I think this is crazy because I don't think he'll stay on the court for long. 

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2017, 09:39:39 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Simmons. Hasn't played a minute in the NBA yet, but many people seem to assume he's already a star.
If you're going to go that route than it is clearly Fultz.  People on here are already acting like he's a guaranteed transcendent NBA player.  I'm surprised there aren't statues built of him already.   All for a player who led his college team to 9 wins with only 2 in conference wins.
Agreed. Both have to prove themselves as winners on the NBA court. For Simmons,  the big red flag for me is that he seems to consider himself entitled. Bad sign. Fultz' problem is his poor defense (lacks both effort and skill), but I'm still more optimistic about him. I'm pretty sure that Simmons will be a disappointment. Perhaps not a bust either, but definitely a disappointment.
Btw. Tassie by any chance? Sydney here. :)
Nope.  Good old U. S. of A. 

That's a good assessment.  Simmons attitude is more of a concern than his shooting to me.  That is somewhat at odds with him being a pass first player.  I have a difficult time disliking a player with such great passing and court vision.  At worst I see him being a very big Rondo which would be quite a good player to have on the right team (say with a dominant 2-way big man with some shooters).  I think the Sixers lucked out a bit with Simmons getting injured in that Embiid was able to establish himself as the leader and face of the team.  I think Coach Brown is a big plus for Simmons development.  If he was on a different team like the Kings or Magic, I'd be more concerned.   

Besides his poor defensive effort and fundamentals, Fultz's poor free throw shooting and good not great first step is a concern.  He does have a lot of pluses and I do like late developers.  I think his upside is Kyrie with better defense.   His downside is a poor man's Kyrie whoever that would be.  I don't see Fultz or Simmons busting outside of injuries. 

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2017, 10:16:07 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
If we're comparing Fultz to Michael Jordan (as another thread is), then it is without a doubt Fultz.

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2017, 10:53:54 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
it's hard to call a player overrated when they are 5 years away from their prime
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2017, 11:10:33 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
My most overrated young player is WCS.  I want to qualify that I am a fan, and I would be quite pleased if he were a Celtic.  But the trade proposals that pop up to acquire him are generally ridiculous.

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2017, 11:16:17 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
For me, it's Aaron Gordon and it's not really close.  When you discuss "overrated" it has to be relative to expectations which were sky-high at times for this kid.  It is a bit unfortunate that he won the dunk contest, that put him on the radar screen as some kind of amazing up-and-coming young player.  The reality is that he's just a great athlete but without the associated basketball skills you might expect.

WCS is a close 2nd.

Brandon Ingram anybody?  Again, think about expectations.

These statements don't mesh well.

As for Brandon Ingram, I think a lot of people had the expectation that it would take a couple of years for him to really show his true potential as his physical strength isn't at NBA-level.  Sure, there were a few absurd takes that got passed around (both outside this forum and repeated here) which said he was Durant-like, but I think those were a combination of click-bait and people who had zero memory of how good Durant was in college, and were nothing near the plurality view on him, much less the majority.

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2017, 11:20:36 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I think Devin Booker is pretty overrated.

Same with Porzingis, who has been listed along with KAT and AD a few times.

Porzingis was a very close second to the Homie for me. Booker's a good pick as well. He's certainly an interesting player, but both a different prospect than most think he is and likely not as good as many believe.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2017, 11:30:28 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
For me, it's Aaron Gordon and it's not really close.  When you discuss "overrated" it has to be relative to expectations which were sky-high at times for this kid.  It is a bit unfortunate that he won the dunk contest, that put him on the radar screen as some kind of amazing up-and-coming young player.  The reality is that he's just a great athlete but without the associated basketball skills you might expect.

WCS is a close 2nd.

Brandon Ingram anybody?  Again, think about expectations.

These statements don't mesh well.

As for Brandon Ingram, I think a lot of people had the expectation that it would take a couple of years for him to really show his true potential as his physical strength isn't at NBA-level.  Sure, there were a few absurd takes that got passed around (both outside this forum and repeated here) which said he was Durant-like, but I think those were a combination of click-bait and people who had zero memory of how good Durant was in college, and were nothing near the plurality view on him, much less the majority.
They don't have to mesh.  It's not really close with the choices offered.  WCS wasn't a choice in the OP's poll.

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2017, 11:39:51 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Thanks to a select few members, pretty much every Sixers 1st rd draft pick since Noel. Even Embiid when you factor in health to the overall package.

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2017, 11:41:58 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Thanks to a select few members, pretty much every Sixers 1st rd draft pick since Noel. Even Embiid when you factor in health to the overall package.

Thanks to some of those members, you don't even have to draw the line at 1st rounders.  Even their UFDAs are coveted.

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2017, 11:42:36 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
Omg MARCUS SMART , MARCUS SMART, MARCUS SMART , MARCUS SMART. I swear this blog finds this man as a goat. He I've heard he was such an "amazing playmaker" and all sorts of crap I've seen on this forums about him lol. Look sir flop a lot may not be in this league much longer if he don't find a way to score. He don't need a 3, he don't even need a jumper, just cut to the basket son!!

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2017, 11:53:51 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
I will add others that are mentioned by users. To me we consistently see some young players overrated on this blog whether it be our own (Smart, Rozier) or Young guys on other teams that haven't put it all together (Gordon, Okafor, Randle. I didn't want this to get bogged into trying to figure out how to properly rate a vet like Carmelo so tried to keep it in guys in their first 2-5 years (no rookies obviously either). My vote is probably for Saric (though could be compelled to switch). He projects, even among 76er fans but have seen numerous proposals treating him as a super star. Let people vote twice since there a lot of options here.
Saric is a rookie yet you include him after you said no rookies
Good catch.  Didn't just include him but voted for him too.  Expect to hear the "He's not really a rookie because he played in Euro for a few years" excuse.

No I meant no people that are rookies this season. I thought it would be stupid to include fultz and fox and everyone because then it becomes a different kind of poll. There just weren't other second year players yet I thought were talked about that highly and constantly proposed to be traded for.

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2017, 12:28:39 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
I will add others that are mentioned by users. To me we consistently see some young players overrated on this blog whether it be our own (Smart, Rozier) or Young guys on other teams that haven't put it all together (Gordon, Okafor, Randle. I didn't want this to get bogged into trying to figure out how to properly rate a vet like Carmelo so tried to keep it in guys in their first 2-5 years (no rookies obviously either). My vote is probably for Saric (though could be compelled to switch). He projects, even among 76er fans but have seen numerous proposals treating him as a super star. Let people vote twice since there a lot of options here.
Saric is a rookie yet you include him after you said no rookies
Good catch.  Didn't just include him but voted for him too.  Expect to hear the "He's not really a rookie because he played in Euro for a few years" excuse.

No I meant no people that are rookies this season. I thought it would be stupid to include fultz and fox and everyone because then it becomes a different kind of poll. There just weren't other second year players yet I thought were talked about that highly and constantly proposed to be traded for.
They're still prospects to me until they hit preseason.  Definitely no clamoring to trade for 2016 draftees on here.  Hopefully it will improve with time like the 2013 draft did.   

I'd like to get Saric (goodbye KO) in a reasonable trade.  He's a hard working, tough minded blue collar player but he's not particularly athletic, not a good defender and not a good 3pt shooter.   All things considered he was quite productive as a rookie with those limitations.  I like Holmes as well (wanted him instead of Mickey) but he gets overrated on here too.