Author Topic: Fultz is overrated  (Read 38451 times)

Re: Fultz is overrated
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2017, 06:57:19 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Oh that's right. Same guy that said you've never seen him Play a full game. Pretty weak.

He's the second best guard prospect in 7 years.

Who's the first? Kyrie?
Wall right?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2017, 07:01:53 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
The last 5 PGs who went #1 overall were Irving, Wall, Rose, Iverson and Magic Johnson. Not bad company. Doesn't mean he'll be at that level, but it takes a lot to be a consensus #1 point guard.

« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2017, 07:07:18 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Oh that's right. Same guy that said you've never seen him Play a full game. Pretty weak.

Who's the first? Kyrie?
Wall right?
Yeah, he's widely regarded as the best guard prospect since Wall - more highly rated than Kyrie was at his age.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2017, 07:17:29 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Yeah, he's widely regarded as the best guard prospect since Wall - more highly rated than Kyrie was at his age.

The win loss thing in college is scary

« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2017, 07:25:25 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

The win loss thing in college is scary
For me there are 2 concerns:
1. Wins in college
2. Jumper

Im honestly not worried about his defense. He has the tools and supposedly a good work ethic. Also, he wont get on the court unless he defends, like at all. he will be forced to prioritize it. Id be much more concerned if he were going somewhere like Phoenix where theyd just send him out there and say, go **** around and have some fun.

I am worried about shooting. He did hit 42% of 3s which is good, but he wasnt good pre-college shooting the basketball and he only shot 65% from the line. 1 shortened college season isnt a big enough sample size to be immune to a little hot or cold streak.

Ive mentioned it before but Justice Winslow and Stanley Johnson shot 40 and 37% from deep respectively. IN the NBA: 26% and 30%

On his w/l record. 9-22 is really bad, but he sat out 6 games, of which they lost all 6 by 15,24, 8, 32, 16, and 5.

So with him on the floor, they were a bad, but less bad, 9-16. Also, he received rave reviews for his performance on youth national teams.
There's a couple guys I've seen over the years who get better when there's more pressure and more at stake, and he's one of them," BJ Johnson, assistant director of USA Basketball, told SB Nation. "I heard a comment on the bench from one of the players to just put the ball in his hands. When you have that level of respect from a group of kids that can really play, he's in a great situation to be a natural leader."
that assuages the concern a bit, but 9-16 is still bad.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 07:33:10 PM by Ilikesports17 »
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2017, 07:51:06 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Who's the first? Kyrie?

No. John Wall.

« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2017, 07:58:26 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I realize this sentiment is straight blasphemy around here these days, but I just can't find myself jumping on the Fultz wagon.  There is something about his game that doesn't inspire me with great confidence that this guy is the next NBA superstar.  One thing is that he doesn't look super explosive to me.  He looks kinda slow and earth bound relative to top level NBA athletes.  I am also not a fan of his posture on the court.  He always seems to be somewhat awkwardly bent forward at the torso with his neck bending the opposite way.  From what I've seen, his greatest strength is his ability to make contested, off-the-dribble long jumpers.  I don't want a guy who makes his living off those kinds of shots.  They are much harder at the next level. 

He could certainly prove me wrong.  There are obviously some good reasons he is the consensus number 1 pick, but I have my reservations.

I don't agree with your overall assessment, but I know what you mean about the posture. I'm not too worried about it though because of his age (he just turned 19, I believe) --his body has some filling out to do, and he'll probably grow a little bit more.

Actually, now that I think of it, I take back what I said on posture. Kevin Durant has a weird looking posture, IMHO, and he's doing pretty well...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2017, 08:30:05 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I've been a JAckson guy and I've Warmed to Tatum. I like their attitudes. They have that "IT" factor. Thats what I'm not sure of Fultz. He's so even keel on the court, it's hard to read if he really wants it. I'm hoping the C's can get that out of him, but who knows.

With the rumors of Fultz working out for the Kings, I could see DA going after Tatum, Jackson, Smith Jr if they fall in the right places. They all were winners with fire's in their bellies to win. I'm hoping JAckson drops in that case. And Brown said in a video he's trying to get quicker, which means more two guard, that makes room for Jackson or Tatum.

It's such a crap shoot, who knows who will be good, and who will be a bust. Fultz could be a Jeff Green, all the talent know heart.
I don't follow you.  Are you saying Danny will trade down because Fultz is working out for a team besides the Celtics?  It seems impossible now that Danny won't take him #1.  Everything else is either smokescreen or posturing (either by teams or Fultz himself).

It very well could be. But DA has also been rumored to like Tatum and Smith Jr. And they seem to fall to were the Kings are picking. I'm just not going to be surprised if DA does something like this. Tatum is a Stevens type of guy, wing who can score from every wheres, and Smith is a  DA guy, small and Athletic with a winning attitude.
I don't get why do you keep on saying Fultz doesn't have a winning attitude...his team was trash but without him they wouldn't have even won a game. What do you dislike about him? His fire is quite like Duncan's, maybe I get leadership but he's getting IT to mentor him.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2017, 08:34:28 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Obviously whether he is overrated depends on what the expectations are in the first place.  Fultz is not a generational prospect like Lebron (duh) or Duncan.  He may not even be a prospect on the level of Anthony Davis.  But these guys (minus Lebron) are at least within reach. 

He could be as good as Wall, Rose, Kyrie, and other guards at number #1.  Fultz is different that each of these stars; does some things worse, some things better.  For instance, Fultz is not as explosive as any of those three.  But he makes up for it in others ways; being shifty, change of pace, etc.  Fultz is also considerably bigger than Kyrie and longer than Rose and Wall.  He can also shoot better than Wall and Rose at the same stage. 

Is Fultz a guaranteed super duper star?  Not sure I would go that far.  But he might be.  And at worse, we're probably talking Damian Lillard.  Highest floor and highest ceiling.  What else can we ask for.
I think he has a chance to be a LeBron or Duncan type of guy...let's wait and see
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2017, 08:50:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I realize this sentiment is straight blasphemy around here these days, but I just can't find myself jumping on the Fultz wagon.  There is something about his game that doesn't inspire me with great confidence that this guy is the next NBA superstar.  One thing is that he doesn't look super explosive to me.  He looks kinda slow and earth bound relative to top level NBA athletes.  I am also not a fan of his posture on the court.  He always seems to be somewhat awkwardly bent forward at the torso with his neck bending the opposite way.  From what I've seen, his greatest strength is his ability to make contested, off-the-dribble long jumpers.  I don't want a guy who makes his living off those kinds of shots.  They are much harder at the next level. 

He could certainly prove me wrong.  There are obviously some good reasons he is the consensus number 1 pick, but I have my reservations.

If you wanted to design an elite guard prospect for today's game in a laboratory, you'd come up with a guy who is maybe a bit bouncier and with a better defensive resume.

But Fultz looks a lot like that player.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2017, 08:51:00 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Danny should take the best player available, regardless of need, and from all accounts that is Fultz. Having said that, I have had my doubts since I have seen him play. He seems slow for a PG, doesn't create enough separation for uncontested shots, seemed uninterested in defending, and didn't seem to create easier shots for his teammates. It is one thing to pass to an open man, but another thing altogether to create open looks for your team.

I hate to bring this up again, but that 9-16 record with him as a starter just jumps out to me. It seems virtually impossible for the consensus number 1 pick to be on a team that can't win 10 games. Don't tell me his teammates were not good, or that Washington couldn't recruit. Going back to last year draft, Washington had Marquesse Chriss drafted #8 and Dejounte Murray #29. They have the consensus #1 pick this coming draft. Before opting out of his previous commitment, Washington had signed the consensus #1 in next year's draft class. Not many teams in the country can come close to that 3 year run of recruiting.

Doesnt create enough separation on his shots? Really? How much is enough because I see many advanced dribble separation moves.

You mention Chriss, Murray, and Porter Jr but none of those guys were on that team.

Yeah, I don't know how you can use a past team as evidence that his team this year was good.  There's a reason that there is not a single other Washington player in any of DraftExpress or nbadraft.net's 2017 or 2018 mock drafts, and that the team went 0-6 without Fultz
I'm bitter.

« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2017, 08:59:43 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Obviously whether he is overrated depends on what the expectations are in the first place.  Fultz is not a generational prospect like Lebron (duh) or Duncan.  He may not even be a prospect on the level of Anthony Davis.  But these guys (minus Lebron) are at least within reach. 

He could be as good as Wall, Rose, Kyrie, and other guards at number #1.  Fultz is different that each of these stars; does some things worse, some things better.  For instance, Fultz is not as explosive as any of those three.  But he makes up for it in others ways; being shifty, change of pace, etc.  Fultz is also considerably bigger than Kyrie and longer than Rose and Wall.  He can also shoot better than Wall and Rose at the same stage. 

Is Fultz a guaranteed super duper star?  Not sure I would go that far.  But he might be.  And at worse, we're probably talking Damian Lillard.  Highest floor and highest ceiling.  What else can we ask for.
I think he has a chance to be a LeBron or Duncan type of guy...let's wait and see
I don't.  Lebron is arguably the greatest talent of all time.  Fultz is not that kind of prospect but no one has ever been.  Duncan is a big so hard to compare.  But he was a hall of fame prospect that delivered and then some.

« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2017, 10:16:26 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I'm really worried about Lebron. His team is down 3-0. That must mean he's garbage.

« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2017, 10:17:51 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
What Kyrie is doing in these playoffs, carrying the Cavs, that's why we absolutely take Fultz.

« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2017, 10:30:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Who's the first? Kyrie?

No. John Wall.

So Wall, Fultz, Kyrie?

are you watching the game tonight?  ;D