Author Topic: Fultz is overrated  (Read 38701 times)

Re: Fultz is overrated
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2017, 04:26:25 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
#34 wasn't very athletic either

Guys Fultz is very athletic. He can dunk from the free throw line at 6'4". He's way more athletic than Harden.

Wow!!!  That would make him the first ever to dunk from the free throw line!!

Impressive.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2017, 04:29:38 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Danny should take the best player available, regardless of need, and from all accounts that is Fultz. Having said that, I have had my doubts since I have seen him play. He seems slow for a PG, doesn't create enough separation for uncontested shots, seemed uninterested in defending, and didn't seem to create easier shots for his teammates. It is one thing to pass to an open man, but another thing altogether to create open looks for your team.

I hate to bring this up again, but that 9-16 record with him as a starter just jumps out to me. It seems virtually impossible for the consensus number 1 pick to be on a team that can't win 10 games. Don't tell me his teammates were not good, or that Washington couldn't recruit. Going back to last year draft, Washington had Marquesse Chriss drafted #8 and Dejounte Murray #29. They have the consensus #1 pick this coming draft. Before opting out of his previous commitment, Washington had signed the consensus #1 in next year's draft class. Not many teams in the country can come close to that 3 year run of recruiting.

Doesnt create enough separation on his shots? Really? How much is enough because I see many advanced dribble separation moves.

You mention Chriss, Murray, and Porter Jr but none of those guys were on that team.

« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2017, 04:36:25 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
His team...sucked
His coach.....basketball tragedy
the players...could not shoot or help stretch the floor

EVERYTHING was against him. He likes a spread offense and PnR but that is not what the players or coach gave him and he still crushed it.

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2017, 04:39:11 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

4. Didn't do real well head to head vs quality opponents. (Empty stats?)

Fultz had 7 games against 'premium' competition -- teams that all won at least one tournament game (including Gonzaga, UCLA and Arizona).   

In those 7 games, his points, assists & rebounds in those games stayed nearly constant relative to his averages.   If I recall he still averaged about 23 / 5 / 6, just under his overall 24 / 6 / 6.

In other words, he was a very consistent performer regardless of the level of competition.   The rest of his team?  Not so much.

But we wouldn't be drafting his teammates.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2017, 05:11:13 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Just went back and watched the end of that Washington St game. Fultz did not choke. He had 1 turnover and did miss like 2 or 3 shots at the rim but that happens. Nothing to really worry about. They lost the game on the other end of the floor where Dickerson could not stop the PnR. I think all 8 pts were scored on plays where Dickerson was involved in the PnR and could or didnt stop the ball. On one of the plays he got blown by and there was a weakside cutter wide open as his defender was staring in space.

Its clear that Fultz isnt lock down at this point but his teams D is not very good.

« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2017, 05:25:15 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I realize this sentiment is straight blasphemy around here these days, but I just can't find myself jumping on the Fultz wagon.  There is something about his game that doesn't inspire me with great confidence that this guy is the next NBA superstar.  One thing is that he doesn't look super explosive to me.  He looks kinda slow and earth bound relative to top level NBA athletes.  I am also not a fan of his posture on the court.  He always seems to be somewhat awkwardly bent forward at the torso with his neck bending the opposite way.  From what I've seen, his greatest strength is his ability to make contested, off-the-dribble long jumpers.  I don't want a guy who makes his living off those kinds of shots.  They are much harder at the next level. 

He could certainly prove me wrong.  There are obviously some good reasons he is the consensus number 1 pick, but I have my reservations.

I don't agree with your overall assessment, but I know what you mean about the posture. I'm not too worried about it though because of his age (he just turned 19, I believe) --his body has some filling out to do, and he'll probably grow a little bit more.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2017, 05:38:43 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Guys Fultz is very athletic. He can dunk from the free throw line at 6'4". He's way more athletic than Harden.

Impressive.
he cant dunk from the free throw line.

He dunks from a step or two inside it.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2017, 05:40:42 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I realize this sentiment is straight blasphemy around here these days, but I just can't find myself jumping on the Fultz wagon.  There is something about his game that doesn't inspire me with great confidence that this guy is the next NBA superstar.  One thing is that he doesn't look super explosive to me.  He looks kinda slow and earth bound relative to top level NBA athletes.  I am also not a fan of his posture on the court.  He always seems to be somewhat awkwardly bent forward at the torso with his neck bending the opposite way.  From what I've seen, his greatest strength is his ability to make contested, off-the-dribble long jumpers.  I don't want a guy who makes his living off those kinds of shots.  They are much harder at the next level. 

He could certainly prove me wrong.  There are obviously some good reasons he is the consensus number 1 pick, but I have my reservations.

I don't think you are wrong, but because he is not these things now at 19 does not mean he can't be these things later at 23.  You go from boy to man in those years.

It's all about projection.  Ultimately it is up to Fultz to fill those shoes.

« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2017, 06:12:10 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Impressive.
he cant dunk from the free throw line.

He dunks from a step or two inside it.

Wrong. Video proof here. Heal is on the line. You don't see many people do it any deeper.

https://youtu.be/RCWN7XE3g2g

« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2017, 06:14:26 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Impressive.

Not really necessary Celtics. Just proving he is indeed Athletic. How different is it from Jordan's dunk.

https://youtu.be/sUz3ZYfoNxo

« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2017, 06:19:44 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
 Oh that's right. Same guy that said you've never seen him Play a full game. Pretty weak.

He's the second best guard prospect in 7 years.

« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2017, 06:25:56 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Just teasing, but seriously, he's an literally unbelievable mix of Handles, herky jerky hesitation moves, speed, quickness, shooting ability from every level, passing ability.

Super crafty at 19. It's an impressive package.

« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2017, 06:26:02 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Oh that's right. Same guy that said you've never seen him Play a full game. Pretty weak.

He's the second best guard prospect in 7 years.

Who's the first? Kyrie?

« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2017, 06:27:20 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I would say Markelle Fultz is at least as athletic as James Harden.  Who I consider a pretty darn good athlete.

« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2017, 06:54:26 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Another thing to note about the full game video is that Fultz is CLEARLY a PG, which some were actually questioning.