Author Topic: Fultz is overrated  (Read 38533 times)

Fultz is overrated
« on: June 09, 2017, 11:13:13 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I realize this sentiment is straight blasphemy around here these days, but I just can't find myself jumping on the Fultz wagon.  There is something about his game that doesn't inspire me with great confidence that this guy is the next NBA superstar.  One thing is that he doesn't look super explosive to me.  He looks kinda slow and earth bound relative to top level NBA athletes.  I am also not a fan of his posture on the court.  He always seems to be somewhat awkwardly bent forward at the torso with his neck bending the opposite way.  From what I've seen, his greatest strength is his ability to make contested, off-the-dribble long jumpers.  I don't want a guy who makes his living off those kinds of shots.  They are much harder at the next level. 

He could certainly prove me wrong.  There are obviously some good reasons he is the consensus number 1 pick, but I have my reservations.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Re: Fultz is overrated
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 11:22:07 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
You've definitely not seen him play for a full game, he's at least as explosive as Harden (imo he's better) and he can make tough layups by driving to the rim (finishes through contact if needed as well)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 11:26:14 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
You've definitely not seen him play for a full game, he's at least as explosive as Harden (imo he's better) and he can make tough layups by driving to the rim (finishes through contact if needed as well)

You are right.  I haven't seen him play a full game.   I am basing my observations solely on highlight videos.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 11:26:14 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I realize this sentiment is straight blasphemy around here these days, but I just can't find myself jumping on the Fultz wagon.  There is something about his game that doesn't inspire me with great confidence that this guy is the next NBA superstar.  One thing is that he doesn't look super explosive to me.  He looks kinda slow and earth bound relative to top level NBA athletes.  I am also not a fan of his posture on the court.  He always seems to be somewhat awkwardly bent forward at the torso with his neck bending the opposite way.  From what I've seen, his greatest strength is his ability to make contested, off-the-dribble long jumpers.  I don't want a guy who makes his living off those kinds of shots.  They are much harder at the next level. 

He could certainly prove me wrong.  There are obviously some good reasons he is the consensus number 1 pick, but I have my reservations.
That's exactly what a lot of people were saying about Duncan and he was consensus 1st pick and a senior. This kid is not all that flashy but he just gets it done. You will like. I promise.

Edit: he's got the sickest spin move....unstoppable...think Kyrie.

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 11:27:14 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I've been a JAckson guy and I've Warmed to Tatum. I like their attitudes. They have that "IT" factor. Thats what I'm not sure of Fultz. He's so even keel on the court, it's hard to read if he really wants it. I'm hoping the C's can get that out of him, but who knows.

With the rumors of Fultz working out for the Kings, I could see DA going after Tatum, Jackson, Smith Jr if they fall in the right places. They all were winners with fire's in their bellies to win. I'm hoping JAckson drops in that case. And Brown said in a video he's trying to get quicker, which means more two guard, that makes room for Jackson or Tatum.

It's such a crap shoot, who knows who will be good, and who will be a bust. Fultz could be a Jeff Green, all the talent know heart.

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 11:29:11 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

You are right.  I haven't seen him play a full game.   I am basing my observations solely on highlight videos.
Then that highlight reel is Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline., he has quite some nice drives and finishes around the rim in some of those highlights (I did watch some games but mostly I watched highlights, think he's a Duncan type of PG prospect, I know it's insane but I really like the kid).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 11:29:23 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115

Some valid points, and I respect your opinion.  I'm also not sold on Fultz being a guaranteed star, but I do think there might be some things you're overlooking.

Contested or not, he shot over 40% from 3-pointer, including over 55% 3-pointers from the top of the key (which seem to be open all the time for our team due to our plays).  Opposing defenses knew he was their go to person and yet he still shot well.  That has to count for something, doesn't it? 

Offensively he can also shoot mid-rage, as well as have really good footwork to create for himself.  Scoring wise, he's about as complete offensively as you'll ever find in a draft.

One thing offensively that's been rather overlooked is his passing.  Consider how bad his teammates were (compared the D1 teams in the tournament).  Despite this, and despite Fultz' need to take on a large share of the scoring load, he actually had a higher per assist attempt than Lonzo Ball (the supposed best passer in the league).

From what I've seen in the NBA, diversity to score/shoot from all over with quality passing opens up a ton of options and usually translates to success.

My concerns are his defense, as well as leg strength. 

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 11:30:29 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I've been a JAckson guy and I've Warmed to Tatum. I like their attitudes. They have that "IT" factor. Thats what I'm not sure of Fultz. He's so even keel on the court, it's hard to read if he really wants it. I'm hoping the C's can get that out of him, but who knows.

With the rumors of Fultz working out for the Kings, I could see DA going after Tatum, Jackson, Smith Jr if they fall in the right places. They all were winners with fire's in their bellies to win. I'm hoping JAckson drops in that case. And Brown said in a video he's trying to get quicker, which means more two guard, that makes room for Jackson or Tatum.

It's such a crap shoot, who knows who will be good, and who will be a bust. Fultz could be a Jeff Green, all the talent know heart.
Last thing you should say about jackson...take a look at his off court stuff. Also Fultz is like Duncan in attitude, would you say Duncan doesn't have "it"?
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 12:03:04 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

Then that highlight reel is ****, he has quite some nice drives and finishes around the rim in some of those highlights (I did watch some games but mostly I watched highlights, think he's a Duncan type of PG prospect, I know it's insane but I really like the kid).
Fultz will be a great 2 way player and you should watch more videos if you can. Jackson is suppose to be this defensive stud but he will have a difficult time at the next level. People compare JJ to KL but Leonard has a 7'3'' wingspan and JJ has a 6'9'' wingspan. To put Fultz in perspective, Fultz has a longer wingspan and standing reach than Jackson. He will suffocate opposing PG's especially since he will now try defensively bc he won't have to carry the team offensively.

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 12:05:52 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen

Last thing you should say about jackson...take a look at his off court stuff. Also Fultz is like Duncan in attitude, would you say Duncan doesn't have "it"?

Attitudes on the court. Yes the off court things are worrying, but two issues in 20 years. The telling his friends exgirlfriend he would kick her butt could have just been talk after she dumped her drink on his friend. Kids say dumb things at dumb times, if he actually did beat her, then this is an other issue.

I new a kid in hichschool who fought with people all the time. Saw him slam a kid on the table by the neck and break his nose. 5 years later he started to come into the store I worked at and he was the nicest guy. Would go to Haiti two months out of the year to build houses for the needy, and would bring a couple back to work for him so they could make good money for their families. So his couple issues don't worry me until he's continuously doing them.

Duncan had a fire, it was quite, but he was a good leader, and you could see it in his eyes. One knock on Fultz is he isn't a good leader on and off the court. He's also hasn't been great against top talents last year.  I'm not saying he wont be, and he can't be, but right now he's been focused on him and not the team, and in the interviews, this could be a reason we are now hearing DA may trade and Fultz's Kings work outs. 

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 12:08:57 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I don't follow you.  Are you saying Danny will trade down because Fultz is working out for a team besides the Celtics?  It seems impossible now that Danny won't take him #1.  Everything else is either smokescreen or posturing (either by teams or Fultz himself).

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 12:09:37 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If we are looking for a "leader", seems we would all be taking Ball, who clearly has more of a leadership personality than Fultz.  Fultz leads by example, through his talent.  Personality similar to Klay Thompson, or Kyrie Irving. 

But there is no denying his high level of talent. 

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 12:14:46 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen

I don't follow you.  Are you saying Danny will trade down because Fultz is working out for a team besides the Celtics?  It seems impossible now that Danny won't take him #1.  Everything else is either smokescreen or posturing (either by teams or Fultz himself).

It very well could be. But DA has also been rumored to like Tatum and Smith Jr. And they seem to fall to were the Kings are picking. I'm just not going to be surprised if DA does something like this. Tatum is a Stevens type of guy, wing who can score from every wheres, and Smith is a  DA guy, small and Athletic with a winning attitude.

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2017, 12:19:43 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Try and think of an 18 year old with an offensive game like Fultz in the last 20 years in the ncaa.

Theres a strong argument that he's the best college scoring guard with that kind of size and 3 point stroke and pick and roll intuition in the last 20 years.

Some special players have 'it'. A natural scoring ability and something in their DNA that makes the toughest shots look easy.
He's one of those guys and he does it not just in the paint but from deep and mid range.
He's an offensive prodigy.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2017, 12:19:59 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
You keep thinking that, but I'll be giddy in 2 weeks when Fultz is a Celtic. These other guys aren't even close to him as a prospect.