Author Topic: What does the team that beats GSW look like?  (Read 10014 times)

Re: What does the team that beats GSW look like?
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2017, 12:29:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
A legit center with length. Someone who plays both ways but can score and force GSW to keep a big stiff on the floor. This is the first requirement and GSW/Cavs only weakness.

Golden State has a few weaknesses, imo, but you're absolutely right.

Utah with Gobert didn't put up much of a fight.

The next team to challenge GS will be something you don't see coming, just like no one saw them developing into the team they are now 3 years ago.  Develop talent with a view to the long run, and don't worry about trying to beat GS.
Gobert's offensive game is pretty much nothing. Not the kind of big guy being referred to I assume.

But I agree, let's just hope it's us  ;)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2017, 01:00:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I really think if the Cavs swapped Love for George the Cavs would be favored.  I mean if the Cavs hadn't choked away game 3, this is a 2-2 series headed back to Oakland with all of the pressure on the Warriors. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2017, 01:55:32 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
A bunch of all stars that can guard wings and shoot 3s

« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2017, 02:15:52 PM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I really think if the Cavs swapped Love for George the Cavs would be favored.  I mean if the Cavs hadn't choked away game 3, this is a 2-2 series headed back to Oakland with all of the pressure on the Warriors.

Poor Kevin Love.  I blame Deron Williams more than anyone.  2 for 14 in 49 minutes, with 4 assists, 3 turnovers and 7 fouls.  Yikes. 

« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2017, 02:33:48 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I'll build the team.

Sign Hayward.

Trade a combination of Bradley/Crowder/Nets '18/Celtics '18/fillers for Butler AND George.

Then make a trade for a quality backup PF using Rozier/Yabusele and LAC/MEM '19.

IT
Butler
Hayward
George
Horford

Then a bench that includes Smart/Fultz/Brown/traded PF/Zizic, maybe resign Green for vet min and another big at the minimum.

Of course, we'd mortgage our future and the salaries wouldn't be sustainable, but we can beat any team with that group.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2017, 02:38:25 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Poor Kevin Love.  I blame Deron Williams more than anyone.  2 for 14 in 49 minutes, with 4 assists, 3 turnovers and 7 fouls.  Yikes.
I don't think Love was the reason they choked (though no one stepped up), I just think George is a better player and a better fit.  The Cavs have 1 too many players they have to hide on defense,  you make that swap, that solves a lot of their issues and then they have George guarding Durant, and James can leave the game a bit more without the team falling apart, since George has a similar offensive game to James (not as good, but close enough).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2017, 03:07:32 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
The current Celtics team already showed that they can compete with GSW.  Tough, physical, and versatile perimeter defenders is step 1.  Then they added Durant.   ::)

When we did beat them it was because Steph and Klay were gassed from chasing IT on one end, and being hounded by AB and Smart on the other end.  Steph had a few uncharacteristic turnovers, even mishandled the ball.  GASSED.

« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2017, 03:12:55 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

But if the refs don't call 11 fouls on the warriors in the first quarter and Cavs don't have NBA record shooting night it is a sweep?

« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2017, 03:21:08 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The team that beats GSW has a lot of elite talent.

It is tempting to think of a counter-punching team, but that team won't even make it to the finals and likely will still lose. GS was the best team in the league before Durant and they didn't get their by reacting to other teams. They got their by being lucky with picks working out and ending up with a roster full of stars.

« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2017, 03:22:40 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Unlikely. GS was better than Clev already last season and they added Durant since then, who is way better than George (and they did it without losing an elite payer like Love).

« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2017, 04:11:08 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
A legit center with length. Someone who plays both ways but can score and force GSW to keep a big stiff on the floor. This is the first requirement and GSW/Cavs only weakness.

I think this is the key.  A team built similarly to the 2000 Lakers or the 1994/95 Houston Rockets with a big man that can score super efficiently and like FCO said, keep a big stiff on the floor.  Slow the game down to a half-court basketball game.

Not sure that player exists today, but...

PG:  George Hill/Beverly/Chris Paul
SG:  Avery Bradley/Marcus Smart
SF:  Kawhi Leonard
PF:  Milsap/Jabari/T. Harris/Carmelo
C:   Joel Embiid
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2017, 04:39:25 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It is an easy question which ever one the refs want to win.

« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2017, 05:10:49 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
"What does the team that beats GSW look like?"

Happy!  Duh.   :)