Author Topic: What does the team that beats GSW look like?  (Read 10011 times)

Re: What does the team that beats GSW look like?
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2017, 01:45:20 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
plays defense... it's about matchups, GS have so much weapons that seems like they are unstopable but there are not good enough defensive teams in todays nba. Nba finals today are like an all star game... every gave 130,140 points. Celtics 08, Pistons 06.... those are teams that would go in 7 games against GS and maybe beat them

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2017, 01:59:46 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
A legit center with length. Someone who plays both ways but can score and force GSW to keep a big stiff on the floor. This is the first requirement and GSW/Cavs only weakness.

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2017, 02:03:04 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If I could have a team of anyone:
CP3
Jimmy Butler
Kawhi
LeBron
Anthony Davis

If it had to be a team that could realistically (using this term liberally) occur:
Harden
AB
Harrison Barnes
Marvin Williams
Marc Gasol

And that second group would ideally have a strong bench.

'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2017, 02:08:33 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
If I could have a team of anyone:
CP3
Jimmy Butler
Kawhi
LeBron
Anthony Davis

If it had to be a team that could realistically (using this term liberally) occur:
Harden
AB
Harrison Barnes
Marvin Williams
Marc Gasol

And that second group would ideally have a strong bench.

Really? I don't think that second team is better than Cleveland. I would trade Harden+AB+Gasol for Lebron. Then I would take Kyrie and Tristan Thompson over Barnes and Williams. 

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2017, 02:19:43 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
C- Incredible Hulk
PF - He-man
SF - Batman
SG - Captain America
PG - Spiderman

that should do it...

I'm not sure there's enough basketballs to go around on that team.

« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2017, 03:47:06 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
C- Incredible Hulk
PF - He-man
SF - Batman
SG - Captain America
PG - Spiderman

that should do it...

I like Superman as a small ball PF
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2017, 05:12:15 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
If the 92 Bulls or 86 Celtics had to play with today’s rules and today’s refs, Golden State would beat them

This is precisely why I think a lot of the numbers today are artificial and inflated.   But I concur with your premise.

That 86 C's team were Passing masters---and Larry Bird would love to shoot 3-pointers all game long...
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2017, 12:42:15 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
No team in NBA history could beat Golden State in a 7 game series. 

Even this year's 1st Team All-NBA team of Kawhi, LeBron, Anthony Davis, Harden and Westbrook would struggle to co-exist as well as the shooters on the Warriors.  Too many ball-hogs and not enough efficient shooting.  Harden and Westbrook are both 34% three point shooters.  They would each fight over the ball jacking up shots.  Even if they allowed LeBron to run the offense, they aren't good enough shooters off the ball to win a shootout against a team of superstar 42% three point shooters. 

The team is the culmination of decades of athletic evolution and perfection of the sport.  Their four superstars are scientifically engineered for the modern style of NBA basketball.  Steph Curry is the best shooter to ever live.  Kevin Durant is the greatest pure offensive player to ever play the game.  Klay Thompson is of the 5 best shooters of all time.  Draymond Green is an ideal glue-guy Superstar. 

Do you know how many players in NBA history have averaged at least 19 points, at least 1 three pointer per game, while shooting at least 37% from three? Six.  They have half of them.   The six players:  Durant, Curry, Klay, Dirk, Mitch Richmond and Michael Redd.

You wouldn't beat them with Richmond, Redd and Dirk.

Golden State is unbeatable.

Kyrie Irving meets your criteria , so you are wrong about it being only six .

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2017, 01:04:42 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
No team in NBA history could beat Golden State in a 7 game series. 

Even this year's 1st Team All-NBA team of Kawhi, LeBron, Anthony Davis, Harden and Westbrook would struggle to co-exist as well as the shooters on the Warriors.  Too many ball-hogs and not enough efficient shooting.  Harden and Westbrook are both 34% three point shooters.  They would each fight over the ball jacking up shots.  Even if they allowed LeBron to run the offense, they aren't good enough shooters off the ball to win a shootout against a team of superstar 42% three point shooters. 

The team is the culmination of decades of athletic evolution and perfection of the sport.  Their four superstars are scientifically engineered for the modern style of NBA basketball.  Steph Curry is the best shooter to ever live.  Kevin Durant is the greatest pure offensive player to ever play the game.  Klay Thompson is of the 5 best shooters of all time.  Draymond Green is an ideal glue-guy Superstar. 

Do you know how many players in NBA history have averaged at least 19 points, at least 1 three pointer per game, while shooting at least 37% from three? Six.  They have half of them.   The six players:  Durant, Curry, Klay, Dirk, Mitch Richmond and Michael Redd.

You wouldn't beat them with Richmond, Redd and Dirk.

Golden State is unbeatable.
Seriously? Maybe if this team had actually won more than one (assuming they win this one) championship, you could say that. Let alone them getting past the Spurs only after Kawhi went down thanks to that ***hole Zaza - Spurs were playing them very well at that stage.

Give me a break from this insane hyperbole.

Yeah, I agree with that - TP.  Leonard was the best player on a court with Curry, Thompson, Durant, and Green, which is just remarkable.  I'm not sure that the Spurs are really that far away from being able to beat the Warriors, quite honestly. 

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2017, 01:06:28 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
A legit center with length. Someone who plays both ways but can score and force GSW to keep a big stiff on the floor. This is the first requirement and GSW/Cavs only weakness.

Golden State has a few weaknesses, imo, but you're absolutely right.

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2017, 02:05:01 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I'm three years this team could beat them.

Deandre Ayton
 Horford
 Gordon Hayward
 Jaylen Brown
 Markelle Fultz

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2017, 10:51:17 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I'm three years this team could beat them.

Deandre Ayton
 Horford
 Gordon Hayward
 Jaylen Brown
 Markelle Fultz
I don't see a team who has 3 starters on their rookie contracts beating a playoff hardened, multi-championship, veteran squad for a title. The Celtics championship window with the youth is probably 6 years down the lineCeAnd thats if the youth develop in superstars, not just stars.

« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2017, 11:55:59 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

Golden State has a few weaknesses, imo, but you're absolutely right.

Utah with Gobert didn't put up much of a fight.

The next team to challenge GS will be something you don't see coming, just like no one saw them developing into the team they are now 3 years ago.  Develop talent with a view to the long run, and don't worry about trying to beat GS.

« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2017, 12:04:24 PM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
The Monstars.   

Maybe the Spurs if CP3 was cool with a 1 year league minimum (so they could keep everyone else).

« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2017, 12:19:01 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I think the C's have to get a big who the Warriors can't match up against.

If we could sign Griffin, that might work, but Griffin would have to play big in the playoffs. Its a risk.

The dream option is if we sign Hayward, and we are able to trade for Porzingas. This is a long shot, but we do have the assets to make a compelling offer.

Getting Porzingas would probably require the #1 and maybe Crowder. If we could get him for Crowder, Smart and the #18 Brooklyn pick, Ainge should be named executive of the year, but I don't think that will do it.

In a vacuum, that seems like an overpay, but Porzingas would solve a lot of issues. He would give us a player that would work in our current window and in the future, and would be cheap enough for us to keep IT and Bradley.

If we could pull off Hayward and Porzingas, and Jaylen Brown made the leap, we could compete against GS and Cleveland. Quicker guards combined with overwhelming size up front is the only matchup option available until James and Durant get older.