Author Topic: Lebron - Title hunt III  (Read 7699 times)

Lebron - Title hunt III
« on: June 07, 2017, 06:41:27 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
How does Lebron win his 4th ring?
Simple, perhaps the singular goal for him at this point of his career. Golden State looks like it is here to stay for the next 3/4 years and Cleveland will only become less powerful as will Lebron due to the innevetable aging. Can they pull out a rabbit out of a hat this offseason? Who knows, maybe they can work out a good deal for Love, but still...
If Lebron should operate under the same principles as he did in his 2 free agent departures (Miami, Cleveland), he will look for a team that has the highest upside to match this historic Warriors team. Under that assumption, he should sign with us. We could always carve up some space for him, so that is not the issue. Imagine that. He could play the next 5 finals with us in the earthbound east. Not bad for his legacy, 12 finals in a row. And he could come close to GSW, maybe even next season. Hey, if we sign him in the free agency we could still get Jimmy/George after it is all said and done.
Lebron, 4th ring is yours to take. We are here if you want it.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Re: Lebron - Title hunt III
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 06:48:34 PM »

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 7
OR CLE dumps some combo of Tristan Thompson, Shumpert, JR Smith w/ all 3 salaries totaling around 40 million.
LeBron is going absolutely nowhere.  Your better than this.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 06:56:09 PM by bmac934 »

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 06:58:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
What if him, Carmelo, Paul and Wade all join up on a team with oodles and oodles of cap space. That would be crazy. (Hopefully not Brooklyn, probably one of more likely spots given big city that has no big contracts.

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 07:06:44 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
The Cavs need to figure out some way to acquire Cousins.  You've got to hurt GSW inside and keep them from going small ball.  For the conspiracy theorists, Thompson for Cousins and NOP miraculously gets the #1 pick in next year's draft from the 10th worst record. 

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 07:14:22 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I know this is all unrealistic hypothetical but Lebron cant be a free agent until next offseason.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 07:19:33 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Maybe the NBA will suspend a GSW player, oh wait, that is how he won his last one.

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 07:23:23 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
The Cavs need to figure out some way to acquire Cousins.  You've got to hurt GSW inside and keep them from going small ball.  For the conspiracy theorists, Thompson for Cousins and NOP miraculously gets the #1 pick in next year's draft from the 10th worst record.

It would definitely be awesome for their chances if they did, but does any team in the league have less trade able assets than them? They have 1 player under 25 on their roster. That is hard to do in the NBA. By comparison, the Warriors have 4 including guys like Mccaw or Looney that you could at least envision having a future in the league.

So they have to trade one of their big 3 basically... Does that happen?

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 08:18:28 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

It would definitely be awesome for their chances if they did, but does any team in the league have less trade able assets than them? They have 1 player under 25 on their roster. That is hard to do in the NBA. By comparison, the Warriors have 4 including guys like Mccaw or Looney that you could at least envision having a future in the league.

The Cavs also can't trade a 1st until 2022 and they're over the luxury tax line.  Definitely not easy to do but how about something like this: 

Cavs get:  Cousins, Carmelo
Cavs lose:  Love, Thompson
Knicks get:  Love
Knicks lose:  Carmelo and #8
NOP gets:  Thompson and #8
NOP loses:  Cousins

Why Cavs do it:  GSW is giving them a public whipping.  They're old with no young assets or picks to get better.  They've got to stir things up to have a chance against GSW. 

Why Knicks do it:  Love is a star with 2 years and a player option on a pretty good contract.  Porzingis should be playing at the 5 anyway.  Carmelo would probably accept a trade to the Cavs.  WooHoo!!!

Why NOP does it:  Cousins could walk after next season.  Thompson is on a good 3 year contract.  At least one of Monk, Isaac and Smith should be available with the #8 pick.   

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 08:42:47 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

The Cavs also can't trade a 1st until 2022 and they're over the luxury tax line.  Definitely not easy to do but how about something like this: 

Why Cavs do it:  GSW is giving them a public whipping.  They're old with no young assets or picks to get better.  They've got to stir things up to have a chance against GSW. 

Why Knicks do it:  Love is a star with 2 years and a player option on a pretty good contract.  Porzingis should be playing at the 5 anyway.  Carmelo would probably accept a trade to the Cavs.  WooHoo!!!

Why NOP does it:  Cousins could walk after next season.  Thompson is on a good 3 year contract.  At least one of Monk, Isaac and Smith should be available with the #8 pick.

Cousins becomes a FA, so Cavs will have to pay him A TON to keep him after next season, and adding Carmelo as well seems like overkill to that cap space.

What is that.. a 200M Payroll?  :o

Thompson and Love together combined make like 38M/Year. Melo alone is going to be 30M/Year with the trade kicker lol.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 09:01:18 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Cousins becomes a FA, so Cavs will have to pay him A TON to keep him after next season, and adding Carmelo as well seems like overkill to that cap space.

Thompson and Love together combined make like 38M/Year. Melo alone is going to be 30M/Year with the trade kicker lol.
Didn't realize Carmelo has a trade kicker but he has the option to waive it.  They've already shown they'll pay luxury tax.  Standing pat is just going to mean more beat downs in the finals until Lebron gets too old.  I could have just suggested Love for Cousins but I don't think that is good enough to make them competitive with GSW.  I'll think some more on it but why don't you take up the challenge to make the Cavs competitive with GSW. 

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 09:04:04 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

Didn't realize Carmelo has a trade kicker but he has the option to waive it.  They've already shown they'll pay luxury tax.  Standing pat is just going to mean more beat downs in the finals until Lebron gets too old.  I could have just suggested Love for Cousins but I don't think that is good enough to make them competitive with GSW.  I'll think some more on it but why don't you take up the challenge to make the Cavs competitive with GSW.

Would Kyrie for Jrue Holiday and Cousins work? Who says no?

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 09:25:41 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Would Kyrie for Jrue Holiday and Cousins work? Who says no?
I thought about that but Jrue Holiday is free agent so he's most likely to be making 20M+.  It would have to be done as a sign and trade with Jrue.  Not sure if that puts any limits on the trade.  The team salary would be similar to my Cousins and Carmelo proposal. 

I simulated Jrue getting 22M.  At that amount, Jrue and Cousins for Irving and Thompson would work.  I just don't think Love is that useful against GSW especially if they have Cousins.   What they really need is Cousins and someone relatively cheap to help guard Durant.   

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 09:35:58 PM by tazzmaniac »

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 11:12:16 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I think Kevin Love for Paul George makes a lot of sense for both teams.  Indiana gets a "star" locked up for longer term to try and build around, and Cleveland gets a much better defender for the inevitable Golden State matchup.  How much different does this series look if George or James is always guarding Durant and Cleveland has to hide one less player on defense?  I would think George would re-sign in Cleveland in that scenario, but if not, I think I still might do that trade if I'm Cleveland because it greatly increases their chances of winning next year and maximizing James' window (since he is already starting to slow, there just aren't that many years left). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 11:19:28 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think Kevin Love for Paul George makes a lot of sense for both teams.  Indiana gets a "star" locked up for longer term to try and build around, and Cleveland gets a much better defender for the inevitable Golden State matchup.  How much different does this series look if George or James is always guarding Durant and Cleveland has to hide one less player on defense?  I would think George would re-sign in Cleveland in that scenario, but if not, I think I still might do that trade if I'm Cleveland because it greatly increases their chances of winning next year and maximizing James' window (since he is already starting to slow, there just aren't that many years left).

I think its a lateral move at best for CLE & not sure it makes them that much better to beat GSW in the Finals.   You lose a good amount from Love that I'm not sure you can recoup from George.  Especially on the offensive play making end/rebounding wise.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 11:33:59 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER

Kevin Love has been money this year.
If Cleveland didn't squander last nights game, this series is 2-1,
with the Cavs ready to even it up.  They controlled most of the tempo in last nights game.

Why not pick up a defender to play against Durant?  Or a shot blocking big man?
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-