Author Topic: How excited are you about our young guys?  (Read 5026 times)

How excited are you about our young guys?
« on: June 07, 2017, 05:54:46 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
This year it was a pleasure to watch Jaylen Brown play.  His glimpses and flashes of potential got me really excited about the future.

This current Celtics team is fun to watch, but without any major moves, we probably aren't going to contend any time soon. But that's okay, I love watching our young guys play.  Even watching Terry Rozier play a huge part in our playoff run was very exciting.

I took a quick look at our list of young players and realized how much fun I will have watching our young guys develop.  All while we probably get close to 55-60 wins!  Definitely not a bad place to be.

So how would you rank our young guys as far as their potential? 

Here is my list:

1. Markelle Fultz- obviously he is not on our team yet but it's pretty much a sure thing that he ends up on the Celtics.  Can't wait to watch him next year! He is a perfect guard prospect without any red flags or noticeable flaws.  He can handle, shoot from anywhere especially off the dribble, and is also a great passer. His level of creativity offensively is off the charts and I think it is what makes him a top 3 guard prospect of the decade so far ! He is also a good athlete and seems like someone who is easy to root for given his story and character. I think he has superstar potential and as Adam Vecine said on a recent podcast: his worst case scenario is that he is only a top 20 offensive player in the world!

2. Jaylen Brown- I wasn't on this board at the time but he was the guy I wanted to take in the draft last year.  Every once in a while he makes a play that makes you go "wow." I knew he was good but he blew me away this past season. Obviously his numbers weren't great and his performances were inconsistent but he showed glimpses of the TOTAL package! You name it: three point shooting is good (not great), man defense looked solid, he even showed glimpses of go-to scoring potential which really surprised the heck out of me. I love his athleticism and footwork and size/body.  His handle is a bit loose so he is not always able to display his creativity and passing (which he was praised for in HS) but he can be a 20 ppg guy one day. He has to improve his team defense but he got better as the year went on. Overall he was a pleasant surprise especially his shooting and ability to be on the floor in the playoffs as a rookie. We even ran plays for a 20 year old in the post ! And he did well in those situations.  I think he can start as soon as next year. He is already in the gym working on his game this summer. All this and I haven't even touched on his character and commitment to excellence!

3. Guerchon Yabusele- I assume that Ante Zizic will be here for most people at number 3 but there is something so unique and interesting about his game. I think he is going to be a very good offensive player. I am a bit concerned with his defense (mostly because I don't know how good it is) and also him staying in shape. He is ripped but has the type of body that can get out of shape quickly hopefully he does what he is supposed to unlike our pal Sully. Anyways I am not sure if he makes the team or not, let alone carve out a role but I am very excited to see what he can do in the NBA.  He has really good handles, footwork, and body control for such a large human being. He overall has great offensive instincts along with the ability to legitimately  space the floor. I think he can become our future stretch four and provide a whole lot more than that eventually. I'm excited to see the Dancing Bear play!

4. Terry Rozier- Terry Rozier can be a great sixth man type volume scorer.  He has a couple of flaws that get on my nerves- lack of aggressiveness offensively, and his tendency to finger roll easy layups and blow them.  He is a good three point shooter as well which I think is underrated.  Whenever he shoots I believe that the shot will go in.  The eye test also showed me that he was good defensively as well.  He needs to improve his point guard skills and stop over dribbling but I think he has a shot to be a legit player in this league. I'm excited to see how much he can improve next year. He was CLUTCH in the playoffs too! I love the toughness and offensive talent. Needs to put it all together, watch some film, and start making simple layups .

5. Ante Zizic- I think he is going to be very solid player and potential starter in the NBA. He is a fantastic screen setter and has a certain toughness to his game.  Very fluid and coordinated athlete as well.  Hopefully he can become a Marcin  Gortat type which I think his ceiling is. His defense is good according to scouting reports and to his coach David Blatt.  Offensively he has good hands and has exceptional timing on his rolls.  Doesn't strike me as much of a rim protector and has only a small sample size of mid range jumpers but his free throw shooting is superb for a young big.  If he becomes a good mid range shooter... woah! Move him up to number 2. Lol. Overall very solid prospect and I think he has a high floor and has potential to be a high end starter if he can shoot.

6. Marcus Smart- I love Marcus Smart! The things he can do on the basketball court are amazing and the way he impacts the game with pure hustle is so impressive. He's just not that exciting. Nothing pretty or fancy about Marcus' game but I think he is an extremely valuable player. Hope we keep him around.

7. Abdel Nader- to me he looks like a sure fire NBA player. He has good handle (played some point forward in Maine) and solid size 6'6" with super long arms. He also is a good athlete with good instincts on the offensive end . Has a pretty jump shot which he shoots at a decent clip. I am 100% confident that Nader will be an NBA player. Defense doesn't look great but I am confident that he is smart enough to figure it out.

James Young, Jordan Mickey, Demetrius Jackson are bleh

Bonus Round:

Here are some youngs I would like in the future:
1. Deandre Ayton- size off the charts, coordination off the charts.. monster potential
2. Mo Bamba- size even more off the charts and seems like a high IQ high character kid
3. Michael Porter Jr.- a lot like Ben Simmons but probably not as good a passer and definitely a better shooter.. modern NBA forward

Here are some second round prospects I like for the 2017 NBA draft:
1. Semi Ojele- Jae Crowder type but more athletic, can really shoot it
2. OG Annoby- monster defensive potential, good athlete
3. Jonathan Jeanne- Rudy Gilbert type plus I hear he can really shoot..not a bad draft and stash option
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 06:11:28 PM by CELTICSofBOSTON »

Re: How excited are you about our young guys?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 05:57:56 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Stars
1. Fultz, Im drinking all that koolaid
2. Brown, think he can be a Jimmy Butler level player

Starters/high level bench guys
3. zizic
4. Smart
5. Rozier

0 expectations of even impacting the Celtics in a meaningful way
6. Everyone else including Yabu

For the bonus round. The whole top 4 from next year sounds really good and I like OG Anunoby a lot as well.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 06:04:26 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I am excited about most of the players mentioned except Yabusele. I think that was a wasted pick. I don't see him developing into an NBA player.

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 06:08:37 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Rozier shot 31.8 3P% during the regular season.  Hardly a good 3PT shooter. 

I am excited about Fultz but I doubt he'll be a franchise player.  Somewhat excited about Brown and Zizic.  As for the rest, I'm not excited at all.   

As for next year besides the top 4, I really like Robert Williams and to a lesser extent Miles Bridges.  Surprised both of them decide to return for their sophomore season. 

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 06:10:32 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
I am excited about most of the players mentioned except Yabusele. I think that was a wasted pick. I don't see him developing into an NBA player.

I definitely think he has relatively high bust potential but I'm excited to see if his game will translate in the NBA. Scouting report from Fran Frashilla say he is a good three point shooter.  If that's true I think he could be a good player.

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 06:13:45 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
Rozier shot 31.8 3P% during the regular season.  Hardly a good 3PT shooter. 

I am excited about Fultz but I doubt he'll be a franchise player.  Somewhat excited about Brown and Zizic.  As for the rest, I'm not excited at all.   

As for next year besides the top 4, I really like Robert Williams and to a lesser extent Miles Bridges.  Surprised both of them decide to return for their sophomore season.

Wow that three point percentage is lower than I thought.  Not sure if anyone can relate but certain players, when they shoot, give you a sense of confidence that the shot will go in regardless of how good of a shooter they are. For example I always think Kelly Olynyk is going to miss when he shoots. It's weird and  It's kind of hard to explain.  Let me just say I was wrong and Terry sucks at shooting lol.

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 06:19:42 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I think the FIRST meaningful minutes Rozier got this season was in the playoffs where I think he shot the 3 pretty good. During the season I think he played a lot of garbage time which is difficult to measure in effectiveness IMO.

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 06:24:00 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
I'm very excited.  The short term NBA is all Golden State from the looks of it.  Obviously anything can happen, but we look to have a great start to a young core. 

Brown, Fultz(?), and a potential high Nets pick in 2018 could be a real sweet trio over the next decade.  Exciting to think about.

I also think those young guys can contribute off the bench in spot minutes and learn that way, so that is exciting too!

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 06:24:31 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm very excited by Fultz, and I love Brown's potential. Jaylen is by no means a sure thing, though.

Zizic is probably third on my list. I see a lot of Pekovic in him, hopefully minus the injuries.

My guess is that Marcus is who he is at this point: great defender, good teammate, lousy shooter and finisher.

My guess is that Rozier, Yabu and Nader will be fringe rotation players.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 06:35:01 PM »

Offline bmac934

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 7
Putting Marcus at 6th is flat out disrespectful. 
1. Fultz
2. Brown
3. Smart
And then a very large gap based on personal preference.
Personally: 4. Yabusele
5/6. Zizic Rozier
& then Nader isnt on the list.

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 06:37:24 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
Additionally, how would our group of young guys (plus Fultz) stack up against other teams as far as all players under the age of 24? Would we be top 5 in an under 24 league ?

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 06:38:29 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Superstar:
1. Markelle Fultz

Star:
2. Jaylen Brown

Starter:
3. Terry Rozier
4. Ante Zizic

Role player:
5. Demetrius Jackson
6. Marcus Smart
7. Abdel Nader

Bench or worse:
8. Jordan Mickey
9. Guerschon Yabusele

Side note: if we could pick up Anunoby as a 2nd round pick that would be amazing (not happening)

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 06:39:58 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
1. Fultz. He has a special combination of body control/shiftiness and natural basketball instincts to go along with great size for a PG. I'm concerned that he will take time to develop NBA 3pt range, but it's easy to see him as an MVP candidate one day.
2. Smart. His defensive goodness more than offsets his offensive badness. Given his progress in every area except shooting, and given his improved FT% over a large sample, it still seems likely that he will develop into a competent offensive player. If that happens, he'll be a star.
3. Zizic. It's hard to see Zizic ever being a star, as he's a non-rim-protecting center who doesn't shoot 3's. But I'm excited for him to come in and contribute 4 years of solid production on a rookie scale deal.
4. Brown. Jaylen has a lot of fans on this forum, but I remain concerned about his development. He wasn't good this year, even for a rookie, and he wasn't good in college, either. I'm rooting for him and he still has upside, but Jaylen seems more likely to become Jeff Green than to become Jimmy Butler.
5. Yabusele. Guershon hasn't been lighting China on fire, and there's a reason he was projected as a mid-second rounder before Ainge took him at 16. But he has a pretty unique physical profile, so maybe he has unexpected upside.
6. Nader. This is where the dregs begin. Nader will have an illustrious career for the Red Claws.
7. Rozier. He just seems bad on both ends. His TS% is worse than Smart's (44% vs 48%), and on defense he makes mistakes all the time.

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 06:44:13 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I think Fultz has superstar potential.

Jaylen has all-star potential.

Zizic starter potential.

Rozier I really like and can see him as a sixth-man potential.

I really wish Smart would be just half as good on offense as he is at defense. He's an all-world defender. If he can improve his jumper to just be mediocre and finish a little better, he'd be a quality starter.

Yabu I don't know much about but he's got a big body on him and looks like he has a unique skill set. I don't expect much from him but sometimes those stashes pay dividends down the road.

Young (the only dud of the Nets trade), Nader, Mickey, Johnson I don't really expect to see play meaningful games for us, if even on roster in a few weeks.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 06:44:28 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Superstar:
1. Markelle Fultz

Star:
2. Jaylen Brown

Starter:
3. Terry Rozier
4. Ante Zizic

Role player:
5. Demetrius Jackson
6. Marcus Smart
7. Abdel Nader

Bench or worse:
8. Jordan Mickey
9. Guerschon Yabusele

Side note: if we could pick up Anunoby as a 2nd round pick that would be amazing (not happening)

Now that is disrespectful. You sandwiched Marcus Smart in between Jackson and nader? Seriously dude. Smart is a GREAT defender and he is a player with it on the line. He is tough, hard nosed and humble. You put him below Jackson?? C'mon man.