Author Topic: Are we missing something with Hayward's free agency?  (Read 2041 times)

Are we missing something with Hayward's free agency?
« on: June 07, 2017, 02:24:40 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
A lot of people would be excited were we to sign Hayward, and we are considered the front runners it he chooses to leave Utah. But is Indiana not an obvious choice we are missing?

To have the necessary cap space they can trade Ellis and the 18 pick to a team which is certainly doable, Brooklyn may even consider it. Then they can say they have Paul George and Jeff Teague on their team along with an up and coming Myles Turner.

Of course Gordon is also from Indiana originally so there is the home effect as well.

Has this been considered before and I've just missed it?

Edit: They would also have to move Jefferson with little to no salary in return, so it is a little harder than I originally stated
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 05:47:28 AM by TheSundanceKid »

Re: Are we missing something with Hayward's free agency?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 02:31:13 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Bird resigned from Indiana. They're a mess and everyone knows it. No one is going there to win

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 02:33:36 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
We are a much better team, and Id argue Brad Stevens is a bigger draw than Indiana.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 02:47:53 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
We are a much better team, and Id argue Brad Stevens is a bigger draw than Indiana.

Boston is obviously a better team than Indiana, but George is a better individual player than anyone on the Celtics.

I seriously doubt Hayward would consider Indiana because of the seemingly current instability there, but a Hayward/George duo with an up and coming Myles Turner and solid PG in Jeff Teague would stand to be a very good team.

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 03:07:53 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Ownership situation unsettled, Paul George likely to leave. He's not going there.

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 03:40:24 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
Not even close. George's possibility of leaving is much too great to take that chance, let alone that we're in a pretty much better position in every other facet than Indy.

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 04:47:32 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
Bird resigned from Indiana. They're a mess and everyone knows it. No one is going there to win
Yet they were arguably more competitive in a series against the Cavs than we were.
Not even close. George's possibility of leaving is much too great to take that chance, let alone that we're in a pretty much better position in every other facet than Indy.
Adding Hayward would surely reduce the chances of George leaving. This has got way out of hand. There was one report saying if Indiana didn't improve he might leave for LA, that's it. People are jumping to conclusions already.

If Hayward joins the Pacers would they not be considered a top 4 team? With some decent bench additions they could very well be better than us

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 05:20:54 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
I also miscalculated because of getting Teague's cap hold. They would need to move Jefferson as well which is a tougher task but certainly still doable

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 05:46:03 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Indiana needs to let Teague go, imo.  If they can get a first rounder or something for him in a sign-and-trade, all the better.  The guy has just never been a playoff player.  I really think that the Pacers should just go after Arron Afflalo and Dwight Howard, and we might be able to get in on a trade for the latter, as well, depending on how the Hawks value Zizic, if they even do at all. 

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 06:26:34 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Along with the other reasons stated above, there's a decent chance George leaves in free agency. Hayward probably doesn't take that chance.

Also, don't all Indiana boys grow up fans of the Celtics? I thought that that was their birthright.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 07:49:36 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Why would Hayward go to a much worse team than his own?

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 07:50:06 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

Boston is obviously a better team than Indiana, but George is a better individual player than anyone on the Celtics.

I seriously doubt Hayward would consider Indiana because of the seemingly current instability there, but a Hayward/George duo with an up and coming Myles Turner and solid PG in Jeff Teague would stand to be a very good team.

I don't know about that. Isaiah is so much better than him offensively. So much better. George is obviously a great deal better on defense, but I don't think he's nearly as elite as some believe, and offense is more important than defense.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers