Author Topic: Make your team of most underrated players per position in the NBA  (Read 3992 times)

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
All right, a nice exercise: pick your number one and number two most underrated player per position in the NBA and assemble your team. Of course you've got to make a good argument for your picks.

Ricky Rubio (Minnesota Timberwolves): Can't believe that there are rumours that the Wolves are willing to trade him for Courtney Lee. To me he's not the problem, an excellent defender, passer and ultimate teamplayer.
Rajon Rondo (Chicago Bulls): Maybe a bit of a strange name, but he showed last year with the Kings that he's still one of the best playmakers in the league. And in the playoffs he could've been the difference maker (not Butler) if he hadn't got injured.

Gary Harris (Denver Nuggets): Talk about underrated. Why do we seldom hear his name? He's very young (22), one of the best on-ball defenders (Bradley type) and a very smart off the ball player on offense. Also a capable shooter.
Mario Hezonja (Orlando Magic): Why doesn't he get a chance on that very weak Orlando team? Maybe some team has to take him from them. I know he's streaky, but he's got potential. Certainly worth more than a horse.

Taurean Prince (Atlanta Hawks): Someone has a signature 'Taurean Prince is already better than Jae Crowder' and he could be right. Great pick by the Hawks as he seemingly unnoticed made his transition into the team. Which is in this case a good thing.
Davis Bertans (San Antonio Spurs): As it is with most players of the Spurs, we'd like to see more of him. He can shoot, dribble and block shots. Did the Spurs again pick up a nice piece out of nowhere?

Juan Hernangomez (Denver Nuggets): It's a real shame that Denver took him as he would have been an answer to the Celtics problem at the power forward position. He's a deadly shooter from the arc and a versatile defender with very few holes in his game.
James Johnson (Miami Heat): Dangerous territory to pick him as he got a lot of attention the last months, but I still believe he's underrated. In comparison with Dragic, Waiters and Whiteside I think that Johnson was the most important player on their team during that surprising series of winning games that almost brought them into the playoffs.

Brook Lopez (Brooklyn Nets): It's sad to see someone's career being waisted by mismanagement of the team. He deserves better. To me he's still a top 10 center in the NBA and a borderline All-Star. There has to be team around that could use him.
Boban Marjanovic (Detroit Pistons): He's a freaking giant. No better said: he's yuuuuge! Detroit should play him a lot more. You probably can't start him, because he will wear out pretty quickly, but he's a terrible match up to defend in the paint for almost anyone.

Re: Make your team of most underrated players per position in the NBA
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 07:21:35 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
1/ Conley Jr
2/ Cj McCollum
3/ Hayward
4/ Towns
5/ Whiteside

Each player is 20ppg or close and arguably top 3-5 at position  and no one realizes it

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 07:43:25 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
Some controversial picks, but here goes:

George Hill
Jimmy Butler
Kris Middleton
Blake Griffin
Zaza Pachulia

#2:
Jrue Holiday
PTBNL
PTBNL
Carmelo Anthony
Kelly Olynyk

My overrated team:
Damian Lillard
Zach Lavine
Paul George
Kristapz Porzingis
Andre Drummond

I feel good about all these picks except for George. If I think of a more overrated SF, I will include him.

Also, Im about one KD > Lebron post away from tossing Lebron on the underrated team.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 07:48:44 PM by Dannys Chipotle Guy »

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 07:57:16 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

George Hill
Jimmy Butler
Kris Middleton
Blake Griffin
Zaza Pachulia

#2:
Jrue Holiday
PTBNL
PTBNL
Carmelo Anthony
Kelly Olynyk

My overrated team:
Damian Lillard
Zach Lavine
Paul George
Kristapz Porzingis
Andre Drummond

I feel good about all these picks except for George. If I think of a more overrated SF, I will include him.

Also, Im about one KD > Lebron post away from tossing Lebron on the underrated team.

I love the bolded picks. I'd probably substitute Kyrie for Lillard and Wade (current version) for Lavine.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 08:23:52 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
1/ Conley Jr
2/ Cj McCollum
3/ Hayward
4/ Towns
5/ Whiteside

Each player is 20ppg or close and arguably top 3-5 at position  and no one realizes it

Good list, though I'm not sure KAT's underrated. I feel that he is listed with AD and Demarcus as the next great big men.

Goran Dragic/George Hill
Gary Harris/Tyler Johnson/Will Barton
Otto Porter/Rondae HJ/Robert Covington
Clint Capela/Richaun Holmes
R. Gobert/N. Jokic

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 08:41:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
1: Schroeder / George Hill
2: AB (outside of Celtics fans) / Tyreke Evans
3: Hayward / Melo
4: O'Quinn / JaMychal Green
5: Jokic / Willy Hernangomez

Only realised after I finished that I have 3 Knicks.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 06:45:44 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
TP for the thread.  I love its premise :).

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 07:27:17 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
How anyone can put Melo on the underrated team instead of the overrated team is beyond me.  Did he ever make to a conference finals in Denver?  I remember the days when we debated whether Melo is as good as/better than LeBron, lol.

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 08:41:06 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
PG Conely, Dragič
SG N.Powell
SF Ingles
PF Larry Nance Jr.
C   C. Zeller
6M T.Johnson

Almost all have good athleticism (Ingles), solid to high BBIQ, perimeter guys that can shoot and big men that can switch.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 09:00:08 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 08:58:16 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
How anyone can put Melo on the underrated team instead of the overrated team is beyond me.  Did he ever make to a conference finals in Denver?  I remember the days when we debated whether Melo is as good as/better than LeBron, lol.

TP !   great comment , had me laughing early in the morning.

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 09:20:25 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

Melo is not perfect, but I do think this is one of those "spend so much time bashing him for not being Lebron that you forget he is really really good at basketball including often times being the alpha on team USA and winning an NCAA title as a freshman" kind of underrated. He's never been on that great of an NBA team. Now, some of that is because of his selfishness (pushing for a trade that cost a bunch of picks rather than just signing as a FA), but that is not related to his basketball talents.

In conclusion, I think everyone either over or underrates Carmelo; very few rate him properly.

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 06:57:14 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
McCollum is the perfect example.  The Blazers don't get a lot of coverage and when they do it is dominated by Lillard.  If you asked fans to name the top 20 scorers, McCollum would probably get the least mentioned. 

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 10:51:57 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Actually, he did...but only after Chauncey Billups got there, lol ;D.

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 10:55:05 PM »

• Derrick White

Melo is not perfect, but I do think this is one of those "spend so much time bashing him for not being Lebron that you forget he is really really good at basketball including often times being the alpha on team USA and winning an NCAA title as a freshman" kind of underrated. He's never been on that great of an NBA team. Now, some of that is because of his selfishness (pushing for a trade that cost a bunch of picks rather than just signing as a FA), but that is not related to his basketball talents.

In conclusion, I think everyone either over or underrates Carmelo; very few rate him properly.
thats my feeling on it.

Melo is not the superstar he was once made out to be, but I think people have over corrected and left Melo underrated.

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 10:56:02 PM »

• Derrick White

George Hill
Jimmy Butler
Kris Middleton
Blake Griffin
Zaza Pachulia

#2:
Jrue Holiday
PTBNL
PTBNL
Carmelo Anthony
Kelly Olynyk

My overrated team:
Damian Lillard
Zach Lavine
Paul George
Kristapz Porzingis
Andre Drummond

Im gonna force Devin Booker to play the 3 on my overrated squad.

Damian Lillard
Zach Lavine
Devin Booker
Kristapz Porzingis
Andre Drummond