Author Topic: Who's the Better Prospect: Markelle Fultz or Ben Simmons?  (Read 5844 times)

Re: Who's the Better Prospect: Markelle Fultz or Ben Simmons?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2017, 11:27:05 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
I've been wondering the same question it's nice to see Fultz getting higher marks.

Would you trade the #1 + AB for #3 and Simmons?
why trade away the best player? the goal for the celtics now is not to acquire nice players or good players in abundance. they have those.

the celtics should aim for top notch, world class, the best talent they can get. that means fultz in this context.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2017, 12:12:18 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Not that this is the most important consideration, but I know there are a lot of people who factor in age when evaluating prospect potential:

Simmons will be 21 years old for his entire rookie season.
Fultz will be 19 years old for his entire rookie season (barring a good run in the conference finals which may take place during his birthday).

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 12:23:56 PM »

Offline ashanm10

• NGT
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 11
  • Ahsan from Greece :D Panathinaikos and Celtics Fan
I've been wondering the same question it's nice to see Fultz getting higher marks.

why trade away the best player? the goal for the celtics now is not to acquire nice players or good players in abundance. they have those.

the celtics should aim for top notch, world class, the best talent they can get. that means fultz in this context.

Don't understand these people Hwang xD We can draft at number 1 and pick the top prospect of this year's draft and with all the new salaries and bla bla we can essentially keep him forever, grooming him to our likes and hopefully he developed his own brand of game and yet people still want to fantasize situations which I'm sure they wouldn't be happy about xD

Fultz is a dream come true! ^^ grasp it lads!
🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

Banner 18...and BEYOND!!!

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2017, 12:27:31 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
Fultz by a fairly slim margin for me. I feel certain that Fultz will be no worse than a very good all-around offensive player. With Simmons, the only certainty is that he'll be an outstanding passer. Both are excellent prospects, but Markelle has the edge due to his higher floor and equivalent ceiling.

I agree. I think they're very close in terms of ceiling. But Simmons' foot injury and current lack of a shot in today's NBA puts Markelle ahead of him a bit.

I'd still probably trade Fultz for Simmons and some other assets, though, just because of our lack of competent bigs. Simmons would fit nicely in with this current bunch, and can you imagine next year having a young core frontcourt of Bamba/Ayton, Simmons, and Brown?!

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 12:31:21 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933

I think the difference between their ceiling and overall talent is negligible, though, so you're pretty much improving the team in more needed positions while not losing overall talent and picking up more assets.

I'd definitely make that trade, and I think it's actually one of the rare trades in the NBA where both teams end up winning.

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2017, 12:51:05 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I think it comes down to how you think each will improve going forward.

Simmons' ability to improve his jump shot is a shaky proposition to me. His shot was so broken in the draft process last year, that by the time summer league rolled around he basically wouldn't take jumpers. So until he confidently TAKES jumpers in real games, I'm not sold.

Fultz has basicxally every skill you want in a modern lead guard (in his insane frame). His only real question is his defense, which he has the tools to improve at. On top of that Washington implemented a zone alot last year, so while Fultz made alot of mental lapses, he wasn't put in any kind of defensive situation to succeed.

Basically I think Fultz is more likely to be passable on defense, than Simmons is to become a passable shooter. So while Simmons has a higher upside, I think Fultz is more likely to hit his ceiling, aka he has my vote. And the modern NBA requires good shooting.  10-15 years ago, I take Simmons 10/10 times.

Edit: didn't read the immediate above before posting. Basically I agree with Jpotters assessment of Simmons weaknesses, except I would rather roll with Fultz
#JKJB

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2017, 01:28:30 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
My only question is why Fultz's leg bends the wrong way at the knee!

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2017, 02:48:05 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Fultz. It's not really close since Simmons hasn't proved he can shoot and Fultz has.

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2017, 02:49:57 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

I think the difference between their ceiling and overall talent is negligible, though, so you're pretty much improving the team in more needed positions while not losing overall talent and picking up more assets.

I'd definitely make that trade, and I think it's actually one of the rare trades in the NBA where both teams end up winning.

I've been on the "draft Fultz" bandwagon for a while now, think he's a better prospect than Simmons and even I'd have to consider that one. Trade for Simmons and drafting Tatum and you still have two blue chip prospects whose games should compliment each other in positions that are of greater need.

That is unless Danny's totally sold on Fultz being a MVP-type talent. Then that deal doesn't get made.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2017, 03:37:52 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
I agree with any article that tells me what I want to hear.

Mike

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2017, 12:05:55 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Simmons is overrated

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2017, 12:07:52 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
I agree with any article that tells me what I want to hear.

Mike

Good point!