Author Topic: Who will Brooklyn pick up in free agency this summer?  (Read 11796 times)

Re: Who will Brooklyn pick up in free agency this summer?
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2017, 10:35:10 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think Brooklyn will hit the RFAs pretty hard hoping to land a good player that can still develop on their first post rookie contract. Other than that, it behooves them to suck until 2020 or so in order to fill their talent level up through the draft. For this reason I think they trade Lopez for more 1st rounders, if they can get them, and stay away from top tier UFAs.

That franchise is a hot mess.

While I agree that they will likely attempt to acquire more first round picks in this year's draft, as they should, I disagree with your last.  With cap space, Marks at the helm, and armed with two first rounders, already, with which I expect them to take, in some order, Jawun Evans and Dwayne Bacon, the Nets will be fine, and adding Evans and Bacon to Caris LeVert would be quite the core, moving forward, imo, while also being one that Ainge might very well have to answer for down the road.  And to think that they did it without lottery picks...;D
Couldn't disagree with you more regarding the quality of that core. That core is just awful. My guess is that none of those players will ever be more than an average role player at best and more likely end of rotation players...maybe.

That's what they refer to on Star Trek as a "core breach."

As in, the ship is about to explode.
TP

« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2017, 04:18:23 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Couldn't disagree with you more regarding the quality of that core. That core is just awful.

You don't play well with others, do you?

My guess is that none of those players will ever be more than an average role player at best and more likely end of rotation players...maybe.

I'm going to ask this as nicely as possible - have you ever seen Caris LeVert play?

TP for the laugh ;D, but I think I'd prefer an explosion of Ben and Jerry's Brownie Batter Core, myself ;).  You?

Because that roster sucks. It's awful. It's "quite the core" if you are looking to lose 60+ games a year.  :)

Good thing that it's not a roster, then ;).

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2017, 05:16:00 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I'm going to ask this as nicely as possible - have you ever seen Caris LeVert play?

Yes and he's way worse than Marcus Smart, who seems to have done something horrible to your family to garner that much pessimism from you.  😅
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2017, 05:26:44 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Couldn't disagree with you more regarding the quality of that core. That core is just awful.

My guess is that none of those players will ever be more than an average role player at best and more likely end of rotation players...maybe.

TP for the laugh ;D, but I think I'd prefer an explosion of Ben and Jerry's Brownie Batter Core, myself ;).  You?

Because that roster sucks. It's awful. It's "quite the core" if you are looking to lose 60+ games a year.  :)

Are you seriously trying to say that that's a formidable core? Surely not.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2017, 05:41:10 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

He's serious  ::).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2017, 07:27:21 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
No clue how to pitch the Brooklyn Nets to a free agent. None. They suck, and have no reason to expect that to change during a 4-year contract.

If I'm them, I'm renting cap space in salary dumps for picks. That's my plan. Free agency would not be plan A right now. I'm taking on Evan Turner's contract and stocking up on picks.

It's easy:

"Do you want tons if playing time to help you on your next contract? And to be heavily overpaid on a short term contract? Come sign with us! We'll give you all that and literally anything else you want!

Seriously, though, anything you want. Please sign"
I'm bitter.

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2017, 07:33:25 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Yes and he's way worse than Marcus Smart, who seems to have done something horrible to your family to garner that much pessimism from you.  😅

Said no one ever ;D. Seriously, are we watching the same player, here?  As for Smart, sorry, I just can't stand floppers, so sue me ;D.

« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2017, 07:41:54 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2017, 11:00:54 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
D'Angelo Russel already throwing a little shade at Caris LaVert for not attending an informal workout now...

That guy is PERFECT for this team. I just can't see anyone but RFAs going there
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2017, 11:21:48 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
It will depend on how fast the free agent money drys up. If Brooklyn is the last place left with max cash and they are willing to spend it- Rudy Gay, Gallo, Lowery, Hill, Jeff Teague, Patty Mills, Dion Waiters, Zach Randolph, Kelly Olynyk would all take an over pay Max from Brooklyn. Now is that a good idea for Brooklyn, probably not... They need to keep bottoming out and start getting there own picks in 2019 and go from there.

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2017, 12:24:56 AM »

Offline Miranda-Kerr

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
  • MEAN GREEN MONSTAR TEAM
It will depend on how fast the free agent money drys up. If Brooklyn is the last place left with max cash and they are willing to spend it- Rudy Gay, Gallo, Lowery, Hill, Jeff Teague, Patty Mills, Dion Waiters, Zach Randolph, Kelly Olynyk would all take an over pay Max from Brooklyn. Now is that a good idea for Brooklyn, probably not... They need to keep bottoming out and start getting there own picks in 2019 and go from there.

Either way they won't attract a max level guy,

If all they can do is overpay a bunch of mid tier/ B+ players then they won't improve much at all

Should be focusing on getting young players to  build around D' Russell

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2017, 12:26:17 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
When has that ever stopped them. I agree though and hope you are right. With Lin, Lavert, and now D. Russell they should be looking for 3-5 type of players.

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2017, 05:10:57 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
The Nets have no interest in being mediocre. They have one more year without a pick and then the rebuild proper starts.

They'll go for guys they think can improve more than the contracts. KO is a great example because he still has the ability to make another leap. They'll also target guys that the current team will find hard to hold onto, again like KO.

Russell is a good pickup. His value is low and he's still young. In 2 years his value could have tripled. Mozgov is a bloated contract but it's not affecting their cap space and has the potential in a few years to be good salary ballast in a trade.

I expect them to have more success in the market this year as teams will be more capped out and the luxury tax will begin to loom.

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2017, 05:49:37 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Said no one ever ;D. Seriously, are we watching the same player, here?  As for Smart, sorry, I just can't stand floppers, so sue me ;D.

Flopping should be irrelevant in assessing a player. Manu flops, Lebron flops, Pierce flops. The Smart Hatred stemming from flopping is just an excuse.

« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2017, 06:57:54 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
rondo