Author Topic: Who will Brooklyn pick up in free agency this summer?  (Read 11830 times)

Re: Who will Brooklyn pick up in free agency this summer?
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2017, 10:48:41 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Why does Brooklyn want to get better? They finally start getting their draft picks the year after next.  They don't want to get stuck in NBA purgatory, so I can't see them making moves that would make them the 8th-12th worst team in the league ... which is really their cap for the next few years.  The ONLY thing that makes sense is for them to overpay on 1 year deals ... but who will take that?  And, how does that help their long term rebuilding?  I think we are pretty safe.

Well if they sign good players this offseason they could always flip them and trade them next year for more picks.  Especially when teams won't have much cap space next year they could probably get good value back in trades.

*sigh*

No, they couldn't. I really wish people here would stop thinking the real world is like NBA2K17.

#1 - Most good players won't sign on a team just to get flipped the following year. It does happen but it's not common. Agents are paid to not let this happen. It's the same reason that Horford is untouchable - if the Cs moved him (without his blessing) then no FA would touch the Celtics for years. The Nets can't pull the same stunt either.

#2 - Good FAs won't sign with Brooklyn unless grossly overpaid. The Nets will have to be the highest bidder and therefore by definition they'll be overpaying. Overpaid players are not assets.  They're liabilities. Crowder is an asset at $7m a year. He's a liability at $22m a year. So unless they sign someone AND that player has a breakout year, the Nets are actually in a deeper hole with even less cap space. If that doesn't happen (and that's the far more likely scenario) then the Nets would actually have to pay someone to take those guys off their hands.

Well it's a good thing I don't play video games as I wasn't thinking that way at all. Lol

There are enough players out like the Jeremy Lin's or Trevor Booker's of the world looking for playing time and a decent pay day, or players that may be undervalued that you can get on the cheap.  They could probably trade those players to much better teams, and at least get a second round pick out of it.

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2017, 11:06:52 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Why does Brooklyn want to get better? They finally start getting their draft picks the year after next.  They don't want to get stuck in NBA purgatory, so I can't see them making moves that would make them the 8th-12th worst team in the league ... which is really their cap for the next few years.  The ONLY thing that makes sense is for them to overpay on 1 year deals ... but who will take that?  And, how does that help their long term rebuilding?  I think we are pretty safe.

Well if they sign good players this offseason they could always flip them and trade them next year for more picks.  Especially when teams won't have much cap space next year they could probably get good value back in trades.

*sigh*

No, they couldn't. I really wish people here would stop thinking the real world is like NBA2K17.

#1 - Most good players won't sign on a team just to get flipped the following year. It does happen but it's not common. Agents are paid to not let this happen. It's the same reason that Horford is untouchable - if the Cs moved him (without his blessing) then no FA would touch the Celtics for years. The Nets can't pull the same stunt either.

#2 - Good FAs won't sign with Brooklyn unless grossly overpaid. The Nets will have to be the highest bidder and therefore by definition they'll be overpaying. Overpaid players are not assets.  They're liabilities. Crowder is an asset at $7m a year. He's a liability at $22m a year. So unless they sign someone AND that player has a breakout year, the Nets are actually in a deeper hole with even less cap space. If that doesn't happen (and that's the far more likely scenario) then the Nets would actually have to pay someone to take those guys off their hands.

Well it's a good thing I don't play video games as I wasn't thinking that way at all. Lol

There are enough players out like the Jeremy Lin's or Trevor Booker's of the world looking for playing time and a decent pay day, or players that may be undervalued that you can get on the cheap.  They could probably trade those players to much better teams, and at least get a second round pick out of it.

Those players have little to no value to a "much better team". Who wants Booker sitting on their bench for $10m a year? Or Lin for $12m? Much better teams don't have the cap space for a backup to cost that kind of money and neither is good enough to start for a decent team. Those players have almost no value except in extremely limited circumstances (like a contending team lost their PF and needed one for 30 games). Otherwise I don't see either of those guys having much value - in fact, you might have to pay a team to take them off your hands.

They'll find someone to take their money. Of course they will. But the points that I made remain. No good FA will sign with them and the guys they do get they'll overpay for (Lin and Booker are two examples of that) which means those players have almost no value. And a 2nd round pick is of little to no value given the long odds of a player selected at that point ever being a constant contributor.   
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2017, 11:47:16 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

*sigh*

Those players have little to no value to a "much better team". Who wants Booker sitting on their bench for $10m a year? Or Lin for $12m? Much better teams don't have the cap space for a backup to cost that kind of money and neither is good enough to start for a decent team. Those players have almost no value except in extremely limited circumstances (like a contending team lost their PF and needed one for 30 games). Otherwise I don't see either of those guys having much value - in fact, you might have to pay a team to take them off your hands.

They'll find someone to take their money. Of course they will. But the points that I made remain. No good FA will sign with them and the guys they do get they'll overpay for (Lin and Booker are two examples of that) which means those players have almost no value. And a 2nd round pick is of little to no value given the long odds of a player selected at that point ever being a constant contributor.

Well maybe you're right due to the amounts they are making, but there always seems to be dead weight on rosters (ex: Gerald Wallace), that teams will exchange for a useful role player throwing in a second.  Maybe I'm just so used to Ainge squeezing out assets with all the second round picks we've had lately. 

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2017, 11:57:32 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
No clue how to pitch the Brooklyn Nets to a free agent. None. They suck, and have no reason to expect that to change during a 4-year contract.

If I'm them, I'm renting cap space in salary dumps for picks. That's my plan. Free agency would not be plan A right now. I'm taking on Evan Turner's contract and stocking up on picks.

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2017, 12:21:01 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
I think we will sign Paul Pierce to a 1 day contract and flip him to the Nets for a couple more of their first rounders.

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2017, 12:37:49 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Brook Lopez
 Kelly Olynyk

Will be terrorizing tv screens with there looks

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2017, 12:41:44 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Good luck with Olynyk Brooklyn.

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2017, 12:42:19 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Kelly Olynyk put on one Clinic.

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2017, 12:42:41 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Adios Amigo!

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2017, 12:50:53 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
I don't think it really matters because you'd assume Brooklyn are at least a bottom 5 team, thus giving us a 3 in 5 shot of landing a quality big man in; Robert Williams, DeAndre Ayton or Mohamed Bamba. Unless Ainge trades the pick for a superstar that could be the final building piece to a long term contender (Big Man, Jaylen Brown, Fultz).

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2017, 05:56:44 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I think Brooklyn will hit the RFAs pretty hard hoping to land a good player that can still develop on their first post rookie contract. Other than that, it behooves them to suck until 2020 or so in order to fill their talent level up through the draft. For this reason I think they trade Lopez for more 1st rounders, if they can get them, and stay away from top tier UFAs.

That franchise is a hot mess.

While I agree that they will likely attempt to acquire more first round picks in this year's draft, as they should, I disagree with your last.  With cap space, Marks at the helm, and armed with two first rounders, already, with which I expect them to take, in some order, Jawun Evans and Dwayne Bacon, the Nets will be fine, and adding Evans and Bacon to Caris LeVert would be quite the core, moving forward, imo, while also being one that Ainge might very well have to answer for down the road.  And to think that they did it without lottery picks...;D

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2017, 06:23:36 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think Brooklyn will hit the RFAs pretty hard hoping to land a good player that can still develop on their first post rookie contract. Other than that, it behooves them to suck until 2020 or so in order to fill their talent level up through the draft. For this reason I think they trade Lopez for more 1st rounders, if they can get them, and stay away from top tier UFAs.

While I agree that they will likely attempt to acquire more first round picks in this year's draft, as they should, I disagree with your last.  With cap space, Marks at the helm, and armed with two first rounders, already, with which I expect them to take, in some order, Jawun Evans and Dwayne Bacon, the Nets will be fine, and adding Evans and Bacon to Caris LeVert would be quite the core, moving forward, imo, while also being one that Ainge might very well have to answer for down the road.  And to think that they did it without lottery picks...;D
Couldn't disagree with you more regarding the quality of that core. That core is just awful. My guess is that none of those players will ever be more than an average role player at best and more likely end of rotation players...maybe.

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2017, 06:52:16 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

I hope they do that. Then maybe we can make another trade with them for 2021 and 2023 and get more top 5 picks.

Because that roster sucks. It's awful. It's "quite the core" if you are looking to lose 60+ games a year.  :)
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2017, 06:59:47 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
They'll absorb crappy contracts for picks I would imagine.

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2017, 08:09:58 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

Couldn't disagree with you more regarding the quality of that core. That core is just awful. My guess is that none of those players will ever be more than an average role player at best and more likely end of rotation players...maybe.

That's what they refer to on Star Trek as a "core breach."

As in, the ship is about to explode.