Author Topic: Who will Brooklyn pick up in free agency this summer?  (Read 11737 times)

Re: Who will Brooklyn pick up in free agency this summer?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 04:44:49 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Why does Brooklyn want to get better? They finally start getting their draft picks the year after next.  They don't want to get stuck in NBA purgatory, so I can't see them making moves that would make them the 8th-12th worst team in the league ... which is really their cap for the next few years.  The ONLY thing that makes sense is for them to overpay on 1 year deals ... but who will take that?  And, how does that help their long term rebuilding?  I think we are pretty safe.

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 04:46:48 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Looking at their cap situation what's keeping them from holding off until 2018 and going after the big fish free agents? They should have the most available cap space to do so if FA want to form up like they did in Miami. If LeBron can't get any better in Cleveland why not Brooklyn? Just throwing it out there.

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2017, 05:33:34 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
Why does Brooklyn want to get better? They finally start getting their draft picks the year after next.  They don't want to get stuck in NBA purgatory, so I can't see them making moves that would make them the 8th-12th worst team in the league ... which is really their cap for the next few years.  The ONLY thing that makes sense is for them to overpay on 1 year deals ... but who will take that?  And, how does that help their long term rebuilding?  I think we are pretty safe.

Good point. As currently constructed, they have zero chance of assembling a team that has a chance of making it to the playoffs in 2018, and if they somehow manage to do so, they'll likely have overpaid so much on free agents that they'll have zero upside from there. The best way to rebuild is through the draft, so I would trade away any current players they have that can net a first round pick and essentially tank through the 2019 season, hopefully hitting a home run with 2-3 first round picks (Boston's 2017 pick, possibly another 2017 or 2018 first round pick that they acquire and potentially the top overall pick in the 2019 draft) in the meantime. At that point, in the summer of 2019 they'll be seen as a young, up-and-coming team and have a ton of cap space, so some legit free agents may consider signing there then.

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2017, 06:09:27 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I wouldn't be surprised if the Nets get Crabbe in a salary dump trade with the Blazers.  They made an offer last offseason but the Blazers matched. 

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 06:31:49 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I wouldn't be surprised if the Nets get Crabbe in a salary dump trade with the Blazers.  They made an offer last offseason but the Blazers matched.

Yeah, there were a number of bad contracts given out last season. They could likely get a player like Crabbe (that they actually offered on) as well as a first round pick. They could get 3-4 of Deng/Mozgov/Turner/Crabbe Noah and get lots of picks, while also selling off Lopez for another first.

I agree with others that it doesn't make much sense for them to really get any better unless it is only for next year. Once they have their own picks, they won't want to be drafting at the end of the lottery.

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2017, 06:32:21 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Well if they sign good players this offseason they could always flip them and trade them next year for more picks.  Especially when teams won't have much cap space next year they could probably get good value back in trades.

Re: Who will Brooklyn pick up in free agency this summer?ts C
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2017, 06:39:55 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Maybe james young. Young is one of the only players signed to Roc nation Sports, which is JayZ sports agency. jayZ is from Brooklyn and had an ownership stake in both Barclays and the nets. nets can clearly afford to spend time developing him and see what he's worth

If anything it helps them tank

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2017, 06:44:43 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Yeah, there were a number of bad contracts given out last season. They could likely get a player like Crabbe (that they actually offered on) as well as a first round pick. They could get 3-4 of Deng/Mozgov/Turner/Crabbe Noah and get lots of picks, while also selling off Lopez for another first.

I agree with others that it doesn't make much sense for them to really get any better unless it is only for next year. Once they have their own picks, they won't want to be drafting at the end of the lottery.
Lakers only have the 28th pick to deal so I doubt that they'll be able to move Deng or Mozgov this offseason. 

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2017, 06:45:43 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375

Well if they sign good players this offseason they could always flip them and trade them next year for more picks.  Especially when teams won't have much cap space next year they could probably get good value back in trades.
But, if they overpay for those players this offseason - which they will need to to get them, those contracts won't be of ANY trade value unless those players significantly outplay their contract values.  Not a smart bet for them to take.

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2017, 06:53:34 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
The Nets signing significant players this year and trading them next year like this is NBA Live is doubtful. They'd be fools to spend a bunch of $$ and mess up future tanking. They have no feasible way to rebuild otherwise after that disastrous trade. 

You never know what a franchise will do, but adding a bunch of mid-level players could severely hamper their draft status, and an all-star caliber player isn't going there. Their best course of action is to do everything they can to find draft picks now and future,  and clear their garbage roster as much as possible.

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2017, 07:02:48 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
The Nets signing significant players this year and trading them next year like this is NBA Live is doubtful. They'd be fools to spend a bunch of $$ and mess up future tanking. They have no feasible way to rebuild otherwise after that disastrous trade. 

You never know what a franchise will do, but adding a bunch of mid-level players could severely hamper their draft status, and an all-star caliber player isn't going there. Their best course of action is to do everything they can to find draft picks now and future,  and clear their garbage roster as much as possible.
you just dated yourself

hehe ;D
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2017, 07:09:47 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

This makes sense. They are in "acquire any asset" mode.

The thing is, if I'm a decent FA, I'm looking at the same logic and thinking if I sign there I'm either stuck on a perennial tanker for the next 4 years, or will get traded after one year. It's unappealing.

Which I think means Brooklyn is going to have to REALLY overpay to get anyone decent.

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2017, 07:18:22 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
trade Bradley for a future 1 st rounder

would not surprize me at anybody they get ...totally unpredictable.  for me to fathom

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2017, 08:04:49 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

*sigh*

No, they couldn't. I really wish people here would stop thinking the real world is like NBA2K17.

#1 - Most good players won't sign on a team just to get flipped the following year. It does happen but it's not common. Agents are paid to not let this happen. It's the same reason that Horford is untouchable - if the Cs moved him (without his blessing) then no FA would touch the Celtics for years. The Nets can't pull the same stunt either.

#2 - Good FAs won't sign with Brooklyn unless grossly overpaid. The Nets will have to be the highest bidder and therefore by definition they'll be overpaying. Overpaid players are not assets.  They're liabilities. Crowder is an asset at $7m a year. He's a liability at $22m a year. So unless they sign someone AND that player has a breakout year, the Nets are actually in a deeper hole with even less cap space. If that doesn't happen (and that's the far more likely scenario) then the Nets would actually have to pay someone to take those guys off their hands.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 08:11:25 PM by Granath »
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2017, 09:42:38 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

you just dated yourself

hehe ;D

This game was ahead of its time. They just don't make 'em like they used to.