Author Topic: Who will Brooklyn pick up in free agency this summer?  (Read 11806 times)

Who will Brooklyn pick up in free agency this summer?
« on: June 05, 2017, 02:39:59 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
It's time to start worrying! With the free agent season upon us, we can now begin fretting about who BKN will sign, thereby ruining our draft next year. Given that they have plenty of cap space and even more needs to fill, what free agent will they get to sign by giving $20m to somebody who deserves 12?

Points will be awarded for style, originality and creativity, with a few extras thrown in for accuracy. And if you need the list of FAs, they are here:

http://www.nba.com/freeagents/2017

You may also include any contracts that are not in FA but are targets for the Nets to trade for to pick up an extra draft pick or two.

Mike

Re: Who will Brooklyn pick up in free agency this summer?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 02:52:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think Brooklyn will do what they did last summer and offer some restricted free agents big contracts and force their teams to match or lose a player for nothing.  Brooklyn struck out last summer, but I wouldn't be surprised if they land someone this summer.  I also wouldn't be surprised if they moved Brook this summer for some high end draft picks.  I think in another thread I proposed something like Brook and 27 for Noah, O'Quiin, and 8.  I think that type trade would be reasonable for both teams (NY gets out from Noah and gets a nice fit next to Porzingis, while BKN gets a much needed high draft pick and a quality young center).   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 02:53:55 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
It's time to start worrying! With the free agent season upon us, we can now begin fretting about who BKN will sign, thereby ruining our draft next year. Given that they have plenty of cap space and even more needs to fill, what free agent will they get to sign by giving $20m to somebody who deserves 12?

Points will be awarded for style, originality and creativity, with a few extras thrown in for accuracy. And if you need the list of FAs, they are here:

http://www.nba.com/freeagents/2017

You may also include any contracts that are not in FA but are targets for the Nets to trade for to pick up an extra draft pick or two.

Mike

I think it's best to swing for the fences on young Restricted free agents. Give them maxes early. Noel, Johnathon Simmons, Shabazz Mohammed, Otto Porter, along those lines. That gives them a young piece to try and build around. This also puts the pressure on those teams that have the rights to those players.

IF they don't land one of those players then I think they should over pay on Amir like 1+1 deals to some middle aged veterans. Jeff Teague, PJ Tucker, Aaron Brooks, Darren Collison come to mind. Overpay them, but don't eat your cap for years to come. Then hope with your rookies and these players you get to 40 wins and maybe the 8 seed, but realistically ending in the 28-36 range.

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 02:56:55 PM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
Can see them going after Olynk, Snell and Porter

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 03:03:34 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Nobody particularly good.

Anyone who signs with Brooklyn will be a 2nd or 3rd tier FA.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 03:07:19 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I think Brooklyn will do what they did last summer and offer some restricted free agents big contracts and force their teams to match or lose a player for nothing.  Brooklyn struck out last summer, but I wouldn't be surprised if they land someone this summer.  I also wouldn't be surprised if they moved Brook this summer for some high end draft picks.  I think in another thread I proposed something like Brook and 27 for Noah, O'Quiin, and 8.  I think that type trade would be reasonable for both teams (NY gets out from Noah and gets a nice fit next to Porzingis, while BKN gets a much needed high draft pick and a quality young center).   

I agree they will once again blow up RFA with big deals and force teams to match. I also agree that moving lopez for an over payed player and a pick makes sense.

No matter what they do I cant see them being any better then the 5th worst next season. The only team I see with a tank edge would be the Kings.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 03:09:29 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
I think they have a better chance of bringing in a decent player or two than they did last year, but they may also be looking at 2019 as a year where they want to still suck.

Its tough for them because that team is so devoid of talent that really cant afford to sign a midlevel FA and find themselves outside the top 5 or 6 in 2019.

Any FA they sign either has to be really young or on a short enough deal that they can such again in '19.

At the same time, if they tank in '19 that could be 4 consecutive years in the bottom 3. That ineptitude is almost unprecedented.

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 03:29:09 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911

I think Washington has already said they will match on Porter. The other two could be in play. I'm hoping that there's enough demand for either of them that they have a better choice than Brooklyn.

Mike

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 03:40:11 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

Why are people so worried about role players suddenly making the Nets a juggernaut? Both guys have skills but neither appears to move the dial much. KO is really a bench player and KCP at this stage isn't much more than a good defensive player with a mediocre offensive game. Neither move the dial all that much.

Furthermore, if the Nets are going to clutter up their roster with guys making $25m a year who would be bench players for the Celtics, all they're doing is cutting their own throats long term. You can't pay role players that kind of money and field a good team. The Nets know this. Maybe they try to make a run at both because Lopez, KO and KCP would make a team at least somewhat competitive (if still a loser). But then they lose Lopez to FA next year which is one of their few remaining assets. Long term it's counterproductive and the short term gain isn't worth it.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 03:44:45 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I don't think the Nets will be overly aggressive in FA unless they can get a younger player. It still behooves them to stink in 2019 if they want a shot at Zion Williamson or Marvin Bagley.

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 03:46:35 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I'm kind of worried about them signing KCP. The Pistons might not be willing to match a max offer for him.

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 03:58:44 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
I'm kind of worried about them signing KCP. The Pistons might not be willing to match a max offer for him.

He's not a kind of Kevin Durant FA. He's not even a kind of Otto Porter FA. And even in that case he may be matched.

I'd be worried if they landed Hayward, Millsap, Griffin, Curry, etc. But that's not happening. No good player will go to that situation, the worst team in the league without own 1st rounds in 2017 or 2018.

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 04:06:31 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Can't see any acquisition that will appreciably increase the win total.

FWIW - these were their final season rankings:

OFFRTG - #28 at 101.9
DEFRTG - #23 at 108.0

They were bad at both.

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 04:15:04 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I think Washington has already said they will match on Porter. The other two could be in play. I'm hoping that there's enough demand for either of them that they have a better choice than Brooklyn.

Mike

No one has said this, because doing so would be a potential CBA violation. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/3919/nba-cracking-down-on-teams-big-talk-about-restricted-free-agents

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 04:24:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think Brooklyn will hit the RFAs pretty hard hoping to land a good player that can still develop on their first post rookie contract. Other than that, it behooves them to suck until 2020 or so in order to fill their talent level up through the draft. For this reason I think they trade Lopez for more 1st rounders, if they can get them, and stay away from top tier UFAs.

The other thing that has to be considered is that any free agent has to think long and hard about joining a franchise that is probably going to be among the 3 worst teams in the league for the next 3-4 years. I can't see Brooklyn adding any difference makung talent or winning anymore games than they did this year.

That franchise is a hot mess.