Poll

Which is the greatest team in NBA history?

1964-65 Boston Celtics (Russell, Havlicek, Sam Jones, Tommy)
7 (10.4%)
1971-72 L.A. Lakers (Wilt Chamberlain, Jerry West, Gail Goodrich)
1 (1.5%)
1985-86 Boston Celtics (Bird, McHale, Parish, Bill Walton, Dennis Johnson)
38 (56.7%)
1986-87 L.A. Lakers (Magic, Kareem, James Worthy)
1 (1.5%)
1995-96 Chicago Bulls (Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, Kukoc)
8 (11.9%)
2001-02 L.A. Lakers (Shaq, Kobe)
0 (0%)
2016-17 Golden State Warriors (Durant, Curry, Green, Klay Thompson)
12 (17.9%)
other (please specify below)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: Are the 2016-17 Warriors the greatest team in NBA history?  (Read 15281 times)

Are the 2016-17 Warriors the greatest team in NBA history?
« on: June 05, 2017, 11:15:02 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
More importantly, given the fact that the Warriors seem to be unbeatable, should we consider taking a step back?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 12:44:39 PM by Jvalin »

Re: Which is the greatest team in NBA history?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 11:30:36 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
86 Celtics.  5 of their top 6 are in the HOF, and Ainge was a heck of a player.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 11:48:06 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
well, based on the list provided, the 86 celtics. 

I'd take any of the Celtic or Laker teams from 80-87 against anyone who came after them and any Philly team from 80-85 as well. 

GSW may have a lot of shooters but C's have a frontline none of the other teams could deal with when healthy

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 11:55:49 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
86 Celtics.  5 of their top 6 are in the HOF, and Ainge was a heck of a player.

It's been hard enough having to see Larry "surpassed" by Lebron on the greatest SF lists these days.  I will never submit to any arguments against the `86 Celtics though.  In my green tinted eyes there will never be a better team.
Yup

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 11:56:21 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
It's so tough to rank teams especially in different eras. Golden State plays a brand of basketball no one has seen before. I try to think of matchups. 2000 Shaq wouldn't be able to play in a series against GS. Who would he gaurd? Larry bird would guard Klay right, but who would guard KD on that 85 Celtics team.

I am not sure there's another team in NBA History that has presented this type of matchup challenge with the lineups Golden State can put out there.

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 11:56:44 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

I'd take any of the Celtic or Laker teams from 80-87 against anyone who came after them and any Philly team from 80-85 as well. 

GSW may have a lot of shooters but C's have a frontline none of the other teams could deal with when healthy

I said in a thread prior that it all depends on the rules of the era.

If we played by 1986 rules, Boston would likely sweep GS. They simply couldn't handle the physical differences of hand checking, pushing, shoving, elbows and so forth that came about when only two refs were on the court. They'd be manhandled right off the court with no free looks at the 22 foot 3 point line.

Played by today's rules, the 86 Celtics would be lucky to extend the series to 6. GS would get a lot of clean looks and while Boston would still clean up on the boards, they'd be shooting 2 pointers at a 55% clip while GS would be hitting 3s at a 40% clip. Parrish would have to get out of the lane or 3 seconds would be called every time. GS would slowly pull away and as the Celtics got into foul trouble they'd sprint away.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 11:56:52 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Interesting list. Has the talent level in the big man pool dried up or why does it seem like big men are all but irrelevant in today's game (compared to guards and swings)?
- LilRip

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 11:57:56 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
It's so tough to rank teams especially in different eras. Golden State plays a brand of basketball no one has seen before. I try to think of matchups. 2000 Shaq wouldn't be able to play in a series against GS. Who would he gaurd? Larry bird would guard Klay right, but who would guard KD on that 85 Celtics team.

I am not sure there's another team in NBA History that has presented this type of matchup challenge with the lineups Golden State can put out there.

Actually, the 6'5" Ainge would get Klay and Bird would get KD.

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 12:14:03 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Why wouldn't Shaq be able to play against GS?  He'd guard Zaza and Javale during their combined 30 minutes before they both foul out.  Then what, GS tries to put David West or Draymond on him?

You might be forgetting how dominant Shaq was in 2000.  Looking back in the box scores:
Game 1 -- 43 points (21/31 shooting), 19 reb, 4 ast, 3 blk, 2 to.  Smits fouled out in only 20 minutes.
Game 2 -- 40 points (11/18 shooting), 24 reb, 4 ast, 3 blk, 2 to.  Smits committed 5 fouls in 18 minutes.
I'm not going to post all of them (those were 2 of his best 3 games), but he averaged 38.7ppg and 16.7rpg that series while playing 45.5 min per game (he wasn't the slow tired Shaq we saw in Boston).  Rik Smits could only stay on the floor 19.3 min per game.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 12:36:43 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

Why wouldn't Shaq be able to play against GS?  He'd guard Zaza and Javale during their combined 30 minutes before they both foul out.  Then what, GS tries to put David West or Draymond on him?

You might be forgetting how dominant Shaq was in 2000.  Looking back in the box scores:
Game 1 -- 43 points (21/31 shooting), 19 reb, 4 ast, 3 blk, 2 to.  Smits fouled out in only 20 minutes.
Game 2 -- 40 points (11/18 shooting), 24 reb, 4 ast, 3 blk, 2 to.  Smits committed 5 fouls in 18 minutes.
I'm not going to post all of them (those were 2 of his best 3 games), but he averaged 38.7ppg and 16.7rpg that series while playing 45.5 min per game (he wasn't the slow tired Shaq we saw in Boston).  Rik Smits could only stay on the floor 19.3 min per game.

TP. People strangely associate Shaq with being some lumbering dinosaur. Maybe when he was in his late 30's but in his prime Shaq was a beast. And he wasn't all dunks too.
- LilRip

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 12:37:24 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
There were a couple of great 76ers teams too that are often mentioned in the same breath. One is the 1967 team with Dr. J, Mo Cheeks, Charles Barkley, Moses Malone and Bobby Jones (?) I think.

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 12:43:54 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
There were a couple of great 76ers teams too that are often mentioned in the same breath. One is the 1967 team with Dr. J, Mo Cheeks, Charles Barkley, Moses Malone and Bobby Jones (?) I think.

I'm assuming you're thinking of the 1982 76ers with Dr. J, Moses, Cheeks and Andrew Toney that went 65-17 and 12-1 in the playoffs.

Barkley didn't join the league until 1984-5.

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 12:59:32 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

I said in a thread prior that it all depends on the rules of the era.

If we played by 1986 rules, Boston would likely sweep GS. They simply couldn't handle the physical differences of hand checking, pushing, shoving, elbows and so forth that came about when only two refs were on the court. They'd be manhandled right off the court with no free looks at the 22 foot 3 point line.

Played by today's rules, the 86 Celtics would be lucky to extend the series to 6. GS would get a lot of clean looks and while Boston would still clean up on the boards, they'd be shooting 2 pointers at a 55% clip while GS would be hitting 3s at a 40% clip. Parrish would have to get out of the lane or 3 seconds would be called every time. GS would slowly pull away and as the Celtics got into foul trouble they'd sprint away.

I'd pay good money to see a good McHale clothesline on Draymond or DJ ripping Curry's foolish mouthpiece out of his mouth (seriously, what is the guy a 2-year old?  No one wants to see that!)
Yup

Re: Are the 2016-17 Warriors the greatest team in NBA history?
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 01:05:06 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Tough to comp teams across eras

in the 80s the Cs and Lakers teams would destroy golden state inside

in the modern NBA the Warriors run them off the court

All comes down to how the games are called and what rules are allowed. Hand checking and greater physicality would take a lot away from Curry and Durant.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Are the 2016-17 Warriors the greatest team in NBA history?
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 01:07:03 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Warriors play in the gimmicky era of NBA basketball. They are the masters of this era but cannot compete with the Champions of past eras under proper rules.

I cannot consider such a team the greatest of all time.

They are, however, the greatest team of this new era for NBA basketball.