Author Topic: What would it take to get Favors? (Plan B)  (Read 2238 times)

What would it take to get Favors? (Plan B)
« on: June 03, 2017, 08:39:29 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Derrick Favors contract runs for two more years.

He had a myriad of injuries last year and has been injury prone in his career. Utah wasn't too happy with him last year and his play dropped off. But he solves a couple of needs - interior defense and rebounding - when healthy. He's about to turn 26. And while he's not an outside shooting 5, that's fine - he can still hit the shot from 12-15 feet which is enough to create spacing with Al on the floor.

A deal involving Bradley, Favors and a 3rd team is fairly doable from both talent and cap space (with throw ins and picks not including any lottery picks). It's a high risk, high reward type of deal. While Hayward, Griffin and a myriad of trades may be preferable, how does Favors stack up as a backup plan?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 08:54:55 PM by Granath »
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Re: What would it take to get Favors? (Plan B)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 10:13:16 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

He had a myriad of injuries last year and has been injury prone in his career. Utah wasn't too happy with him last year and his play dropped off. But he solves a couple of needs - interior defense and rebounding - when healthy. He's about to turn 26. And while he's not an outside shooting 5, that's fine - he can still hit the shot from 12-15 feet which is enough to create spacing with Al on the floor.

A deal involving Bradley, Favors and a 3rd team is fairly doable from both talent and cap space (with throw ins and picks not including any lottery picks). It's a high risk, high reward type of deal. While Hayward, Griffin and a myriad of trades may be preferable, how does Favors stack up as a backup plan?

I like Favors. What is his contract? I don't think it moves the needle a lot but it certainly an improvement on Amir with huge upside.

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 10:30:51 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

I like Favors. What is his contract? I don't think it moves the needle a lot but it certainly an improvement on Amir with huge upside.

$11-$12m for the next couple of years.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 10:34:20 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Pretty sure his deal expires after next season.  Unless Hoopshype is wrong.

He would fit our team very well when healthy though.

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 10:40:41 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
That guy is terrible

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 10:44:36 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
That guy is terrible

He played hurt all year.

He was previously a very good player who possesses the skillset we need at PF.

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 11:58:30 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
When healthy, he's an absolute bargain on his current deal. 16/8 with plus defense.

I'm not familiar enough with his health problems, but he's only 25 years old. I'd love to see the Celts buy low, if they can get a strong medical recommendation. He's better at center and clearly behind Gobert, so Utah could be inclined to move him as part of a rebuild if Hayward leaves.

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 12:02:20 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
It's an intriguing option but I don't see why we'd trade Bradley for him, you're just swapping one expiring contract for another and you'd face the same issue in summer 2018, which is paying him or letting him walk. And if he does end up healthy for this year, he'd probably be a max player or close to it.

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 12:10:01 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Pretty sure his deal expires after next season.  Unless Hoopshype is wrong.

He would fit our team very well when healthy though.

Yeah, he's a free agent after next season.  Only two years if you're still counting this one.

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 02:20:37 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
An incompetent GM

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 03:49:53 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
It's an intriguing option but I don't see why we'd trade Bradley for him, you're just swapping one expiring contract for another and you'd face the same issue in summer 2018, which is paying him or letting him walk. And if he does end up healthy for this year, he'd probably be a max player or close to it.
I kind of like it. Trade an expiring at a position that we have some depth for an expiring at a position that we are incredibly weak. We might later decide that he might be someone that we'd like to keep. Have to evaluate health issues.

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 06:36:32 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If both teams knew 100% Hayward was signing with C's I'd think

Favors, picks 24 and 30
for
Crowder, Rozier, Mickey, DJ, Nader, picks 37, 53 and 57.

Jazz get replacements for Hayward and Hill in one shot. And once they renounce their FAs + cut out fodder can probably get KO who would be a better fit next to Gobert than Favors was.
Jazz
Starters=Rozier, Hood, Crowder, KO, Gobert.
Main bench=Exum, Burks, Nader, Lyles

C's
Starters=IT, AB, Hayward, Horford, Favors
Bench=Smart, Fultz, Brown, 24, 30, Zizic

Vs Cavs it would be a much better match up but hard to say if C's take it to 7.
IT <Irving
AB>Smith
Hayward <LeBron
Horford <Love
Favors>Thompson
C's bench>Cav's bench

Biggest problem is Favors probably walks which is whole reason I have Jazz throwing in two low first rounders in the deal. Jazz after all would be getting starters locked in for two or more years. I think for C's it still works with the plan of upgrading starters but keeping the development going.

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 10:05:45 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Favors' problem is he's always hurt. He can play when he's healthy.