Poll

For Our PF/C Addition And Extra Frontcourt Help, Would You Entertain Adding Either Henson Or Vucevic?

Yes. John Henson.
4 (14.8%)
Yes. Nikola Vucevic.
11 (40.7%)
I Like Both, So Either Would Be Fine (Depends On Who Is "Cheaper" Also In Trade)
4 (14.8%)
Nope. Don't Want Either. Want Someone Else (Comment Below!)
8 (29.6%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: For Our PF/C Addition, John Henson Or Nikola Vucevic Anybody?  (Read 5538 times)

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
These are two of the trade targets I see the C's going after as a "moderate upgrade" in the PF/C area, especially if they sign a max FA.

With Olynyk, Jerebko, Amir, Zeller, Green and Mickey all likely leaving (or most leaving, maybe 1-2 guys staying via exceptions/Bird Rights), the C's will need some help in the front court even with Zizic coming over, and even if Griffin/Millsap signs here, they still may need some help. I reckon they could use a room exception on a front court addition as well, but this makes sense too.

I have faith in Zizic, but lets tamper our expectations a bit for him in his first year at least.

Henson has three years left on his 4/48M contract (4M from signing bonus), BUT like Isaiah, Henson has the "decreasing salary cap hit every year", so in essence, we could have him with 3 years, 31M remaining.

Vucevic has about 2 years left on his deal at an average of 12.5M/Year.

Magic and Bucks could be looking to move either, mainly because Orlando right now is rebuilding (or so they should), and the Bucks don't really use Henson as often, and with the emergence of Thon Maker and the Greek Freak, they may be looking to upgrade elsewhere and/or add a good draft pick.

Vucevic is a "double-double machine" who has some concerns on the defensive end, but for the most part is a solid rebounder, and can score around 15 PPG. Henson is a bit more of a mystery, but he fills a need for us, and with some more minutes, can rebound and averages around 1 block and 1 steal/game. Also known for attacking the paint and finishing well around the rim (and "cleaning up messes").

What do you guys think? Would you consider either, or no? And what kind of trade would you do for either if interested?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 01:31:12 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: For Our PF/C Addition, John Henson Or Nikola Vucevic Anybody?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 01:43:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I wouldn't mind either, although would prefer Vucevic simply because his production is significantly higher than Henson's.

Despite his defensive woes, his ability to score and rebound, plus be a decent passer for a 7 footer would all help this team a lot. Considering some of the contracts floating around, that 12-13 mark is an absolute bargain for a guy who will comfortably give you 15 points and 10 boards nightly, with a few assists.

Henson is a bit more of a mystery. After an amazing sophomore year, he has almost regressed somewhat into simply a decent back up big man. Granted, he hasn't been able to get more than 20mpg since that year, nor has he been too healthy (less than 60 games in each of his last 2 seasons), yet many still expect more out of him. However his per36 numbers are pretty off the chart, so I'm not sure whether it's a case of not getting opportunities, or just performing well against back ups.

Ultimately, would prefer Vuc, but either would be an upgrade over the big guys we're losing (Olynyk vs Henson is debatable).
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 01:44:25 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I wouldn't mind either, although would prefer Vucevic simply because his production is significantly higher than Henson's.

Despite his defensive woes, his ability to score and rebound, plus be a decent passer for a 7 footer would all help this team a lot. Considering some of the contracts floating around, that 12-13 mark is an absolute bargain for a guy who will comfortably give you 15 points and 10 boards nightly, with a few assists.

Henson is a bit more of a mystery. After an amazing sophomore year, he has almost regressed somewhat into simply a decent back up big man. Granted, he hasn't been able to get more than 20mpg since that year, nor has he been too healthy (less than 60 games in each of his last 2 seasons), yet many still expect more out of him. However his per36 numbers are pretty off the chart, so I'm not sure whether it's a case of not getting opportunities, or just performing well against back ups.

Ultimately, would prefer Vuc, but either would be an upgrade over the big guys we're losing (Olynyk vs Henson is debatable).

TP, I agree with this entirely. I see Vucevic fitting in well with this system as well.

I just think the concerns with him have a lot more to do with the Magic. Name me more than 2 guys in that team who seemed to be trying in many games. That Magic team is just a mess.

We didn't have IT4 in one of the games and wiped the floor with them. They showed no effort on either end of the court. That was the only "good game" we played without IT4 on the floor in the regular season (lost the other 4 games, and won 1 game against the measly Nets which required career nights from Horford+Crowder just for like a 3 point victory lol).

Oh and the Cavaliers Game 3 win without Isaiah, but Game 4 and 5 were reminders of how much we missed IT's scoring.

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 01:52:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

TP, I agree with this entirely. I see Vucevic fitting in well with this system as well.

I just think the concerns with him have a lot more to do with the Magic. Name me more than 2 guys in that team who seemed to be trying in many games. That Magic team is just a mess.

We didn't have IT4 in one of the games and wiped the floor with them. They showed no effort on either end of the court. That was the only "good game" we played without IT4 on the floor in the regular season (lost the other 4 games, and won 1 game against the measly Nets which required career nights from Horford+Crowder just for like a 3 point victory lol).

Oh and the Cavaliers Game 3 win without Isaiah, but Game 4 and 5 were reminders of how much we missed IT's scoring.
TP right back at you.

Completely agree about the questions regarding Vuc being, in large part, due to his location. Not a good situation to be in whatsoever. I feel like playing on a legitimately good team would revitalise him a little bit, as well as the way he'd fit in with Coach Stevens.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 02:48:42 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

TP right back at you.

Completely agree about the questions regarding Vuc being, in large part, due to his location. Not a good situation to be in whatsoever. I feel like playing on a legitimately good team would revitalise him a little bit, as well as the way he'd fit in with Coach Stevens.

Yeah, definitely an upgrade over the likes of Amir, Zeller. Maybe even KO as Vucevic is a lot more consistent.

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 08:13:19 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Bumping this.

Anyone else have any thoughts about this?

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 08:31:54 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Henson or vucevic aren't bringing us a championship

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 08:49:09 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Henson or vucevic aren't bringing us a championship

Never said they were.

But this front court will be a lot worse with all the depth leaving.

Reckon if Fultz is drafted, some guard is dealt in a package for a young, cheap big man/PF.

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 08:51:07 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
How about Thon Maker and pick 17 for IT? If team is moving on from IT and building for the future I'd consider it. Maybe then even resign KO.

Fultz, AB, Crowder, Horford, Maker
Rozier, Smart, Browm, KO, Zizic.

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 09:39:14 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I say it all the time...Jahlil Okafor. IMO he is not a finished product at all, far from it. He would be cheap to get and is the type of player that we could be low on. His value around the league is bad and he has not played the way people thought he would when he was drafted.

He has the skills. He has the physique: 7'6'' wingspan and 9'3'' standing reach. He has shown that he can score against the best BIGS in the league. He has the potential to be a great big (no matter how he played he has that potential)

We have too many guards so why not take a flier on a guy that is being misused and is in the wrong system/organization....

Core:
Fultz
Jaylen
2018 BKN pick
Jahlil Okafor(flier)

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 09:42:20 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I say it all the time...Jahlil Okafor. IMO he is not a finished product at all, far from it. He would be cheap to get and is the type of player that we could be low on. His value around the league is bad and he has not played the way people thought he would when he was drafted.

He has the skills. He has the physique: 7'6'' wingspan and 9'3'' standing reach. He has shown that he can score against the best BIGS in the league. He has the potential to be a great big (no matter how he played he has that potential)

We have too many guards so why not take a flier on a guy that is being misused and is in the wrong system/organization....

Core:
Fultz
Jaylen
2018 BKN pick
Jahlil Okafor(flier)

I wouldn't mind taking a flier on him if his price really is dirt cheap.

But I'd only consider the likes of Rozier in the deal. NOT Smart, Bradley or IT.

He's so not worth any of those 3.

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 09:42:48 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
How about Thon Maker and pick 17 for IT? If team is moving on from IT and building for the future I'd consider it. Maybe then even resign KO.

Fultz, AB, Crowder, Horford, Maker
Rozier, Smart, Browm, KO, Zizic.

Milwaukee doesn't do it. IT is an expiring to them as well.

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 09:53:32 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So, we renounce KO, and trade AB / Crowder. We sign Hayward.

Vucevic / Zizic
Horford
Hayward / Brown
Smart / Fultz
IT / Rozier

The defense would be rough, but that's a fun team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 10:03:09 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
The problem with speculation about bigs is they have to pass the Stevens test. Whatever that is. He seems to be very picky about bigs. Likes guys like Horford who can play on the perimeter and shoot the 3. But those guys are never great rebounders. He doesn't seem to like guys who dominate inside. I don't know if the Celtics have ever won anything without one of those types, starting with Russell. You have to have a guy who can get the ball and defend the paint.

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2017, 10:20:29 PM »

Offline notthebowler

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 27
So, we renounce KO, and trade AB / Crowder. We sign Hayward.

Vucevic / Zizic
Horford
Hayward / Brown
Smart / Fultz
IT / Rozier

The defense would be rough, but that's a fun team.

I think Vucevic would fit really well with this team, so I've tried on roster-builder.com to add him as well as Hayward. It is doable, but if I recall correctly you have to trade Rozier as well.  I've also had them drafting Swanigan at 37 to provide more rebounding help. For me, this is the best case scenario for this offseason I think Vuc is such a huge rebounding upgrade that he gives us a net positive on the defensive end. Not as good defensively as Amir, but he's so much better rebounding I believe it would net out to a positive on that end if the court.