Author Topic: Contract question  (Read 955 times)

Contract question
« on: June 03, 2017, 11:41:42 AM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
Hi all

I have question about salary.

If we can't sign a star in free agency, I think the plan is to resign Olynyk and free up enough cash to resign Thomas and/or Bradley next season, and try to rebuild through draft.

Therefore we will have a lot of cash available next season but heavily need them in the 18/19.

My question is therefore about how you can construct a salary in the best way for us. Is it possible to make a contract that are falling.

What if we can get a vet who would like to get 10 mio a year in 3 years, but in stead of paying him 10 mio a year, we pay him 20 mio the first year and 5 mio a year for the next to years. Is it legal?

Re: Contract question
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 11:56:52 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If we can't sign a star in free agency, I think the plan is to resign Olynyk and free up enough cash to resign Thomas and/or Bradley next season, and try to rebuild through draft.

This is most likely true, but I for one do not want a team that features the uneven performance of KO as a centerpiece.

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 01:27:10 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
You can't structure a contract like that unfortunately, you can do a declining contract but there are limits on it.

If we don't sign a max free agent I would have thought we would use the cap space to renegotiate Isaiah to the max. This has the advantage of lowering the amounts we will be paying him post 2018

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 01:49:51 PM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
Thank you for the answer!

Do you know how much the contract can be declining?

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 04:12:01 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Thank you for the answer!

Do you know how much the contract can be declining?

In general, the max decline each year  is 8% of the first year of the contract.

So, if we paid IT $30 million in Year One, the contract can decline $2.4 million each year.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes