Author Topic: Ultimate effort to build a contender right now  (Read 1252 times)

Ultimate effort to build a contender right now
« on: June 02, 2017, 09:14:07 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Like most people I'm already comfortable with taking the long road and wait for our younger prospects to blossom. Still if we want to compete within the next 5 years, we need to make our moves this summer, last chance. There are lots of threads and rumours about a signing of Gordon Hayward, but to me Blake Griffin is a far more logical candidate to go after.

But creating the cap space to be able to sign him is difficult and adding Griffin alone isn't enough as the Celtic's organisation has already told that it's two players away from contending. And we don't want to throw our promising future in the ditch, while getting that second stud and it has to be sustainable to be worth it. I think there's a way if all things work out, so let's look at my proposal. Also I tried to be as accurate as possible with salaries and CBA rules, but it's very hard.

Released/trades/picks/cap space/signings:

Released: James Young, Gerald Green, Jonas Jerebko, Jordan Mickey, Amir Johnson and Kelly Olynyk

3-way trade with Brooklyn and Portland: Brook Lopez to Boston, Al Horford to Portland, Evan Turner + Meyers Leonard + Portland draft picks to Nets

Trade with Indiana: Paul George to Boston, Avery Bradley + Jae Crowder + Tyler Zeller + Brooklyn '18 1st+ LA Clippers '19 1st to Indiana

Picks: 1st: Markelle Fultz, 37th: Thomas Bryant

Cap holds and cap space (thanks to Jvalin and others):

Cap holds (12 players): Lopez (22,6), George (19,3), Fultz (7,0), Thomas (6,3), Brown (5,0), Smart (4,5), Rozier (2,0), Zizic (1,6), Jackson (1,4) + 3 spots (0,8) = 71,3 million

Cap space: 102 - 71,3 = 30,7 million (necessary for max contract 7-9 years: 30,6)

Sign: Blake Griffin (132/4), Free agent (PF) (for MLE), Gerald Green (vet min), Jonas Jerebko (vet min), Abdel Nader (1,3) and Ante Zizic (1,3)

Stash: Guerschon Yabusele and possibly late 2nd rounders

Season 2017/2018

Isaiah Thomas   PG   6,3
Demetrius Jackson   PG   1,4
Terry Rozier   PG   2,0
Markelle Fultz   PG   5,9
Marcus Smart   PG   4,5
Gerald Green   SG   2,3
Jaylen Brown   SF   5,0
Paul George   SF   19,3
Abdel Nader   SF   1,3
Blake Griffin   PF   30,6
Jonas Jerebko   PF   2,1
Free agent   PF   4,3
Brook Lopez   C   22,6
Ante Zizic   C   1,3
Thomas Bryant   C   1,0

Total salary:   109,9
Salary cap:   102
Luxury tax:   122

Main rotation:

Thomas   Smart   George   Griffin   Lopez
Fultz   Rozier   Brown   Free agent   Zizic

Then let go of Brook Lopez, sign Paul George to the max (140/4), resign Isaiah Thomas (96/4) and Marcus Smart (40/4), bring Yabusele over and sign a free agent (a center) for the MLE.

Season 2018/2019 (and beyond)   

Isaiah Thomas   PG   24,0
Demetrius Jackson   PG   1,4
Terry Rozier   PG   3,2
Markelle Fultz   PG   6,9
Marcus Smart   PG   10,0
Gerald Green   SG   2,4
Jaylen Brown   SF   5,1
Paul George   SF   32,4
Abdel Nader   SF   1,3
Blake Griffin   PF   32,1
Guerschon Yabusele   PF   1,6
Jonas Jerebko   PF   2,2
Free agent   C   4,6
Ante Zizic   C   1,3
Thomas Bryant   C   1,0

Total salary:   129.5
Salary cap:   108
Luxury tax:   130

Main rotation:

Thomas   Fultz   George   Griffin   Zizic
Rozier   Smart   Brown   Jerebko   Free agent

Remarks:

- I don't like letting Olynyk go for nothing, but this is the only way.
- trading Horford is necessary to create that extra cap space for a max free agent and the ability to keep 2 new stars + Thomas after next season.
- Crowder gets superfluous when we trade for George, but has good value, so logical to trade him, Bradley instead of Smart is necessary for cap space. And we need to add the '18 Nets pick to make the trade interesting for the Pacers.
- I hope my calculations for the cap space are complete and accurate.
- In 2018 there won't be a lot of teams with max cap space and probably reluctant to pay Thomas a max contract, so to me that salary is already on the high end.
- A player like George that plays for a contender will not leave that situation for a childhood crush on the Lakers. The Lakers don't have anything appealing that makes George believe that he can win a championship there.
- I would say that the 2017/18 team is absolutely stacked, but in 2018/19 it get's thinner. Though on the other hand Rozier, Fultz, Brown and Zizic may have made big leaps forward. 
- We are able to stay under the luxury tax. Get our stars and also maintain a young core for the future.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 09:28:23 PM by RodyTur10 »

Re: Ultimate effort to build a contender right now
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 09:38:50 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
You lost me at getting rid of Horford in favor of Brook Lopez.  A for effort though.

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 09:46:10 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Griffin is made out of glass. Also he can't shoot 3s

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 10:10:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Griffin is made out of glass. Also he can't shoot 3s
He shot 34% on 2 attempts a game - it's not the worst. And Lopez is a big time 3 point shooter. Both of them together would be a very good shooting big man duo. However the injury concerns for both are a tad scary.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)