Author Topic: How will Warriors and Cavs affect free agency going forward?  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
This is a rant on my part but I would recommend that every star free agent prioritizes money and a comfortable situation over winning.  Winning can certainly be a tiebreaker but it wouldn't be my first choice in the modern NBA until Cleveland and/or Golden State shows major cracks in its armor. 

I always hated LeBron's decision to go to Miami and I don't have the same level of respect for him going back to Cleveland as many others.  He ultimately cherry picked the right opportunity to go home and was able to orchestrate the perfect situation with the Cavs by aligning himself with two younger stars in their prime.  If anything he gave up on Miami after realizing that their best years were behind them.  As much as I hate those moves you will not hear me bash LeBron in any context as player with exception of the Jordan comparison.  I guess I can live with one clear cut favorite in a Conference because that has always been a part of the NBA. 

Fast forward to today and somehow Durant managed to make a move that is more sickening than LeBron's from a competitive standpoint.  It absolutely sucks that a potential Spurs squad with CP3 still has not shot against the Warriors.  Parity has always been a problem in the NBA but nothing compares to this in modern times.  The issue isn't just that Cleveland and Golden State will continue to meet in the Finals.  My problem is that nobody can even put up a fight.

If I am Hayward, Paul George, Wesbtrook, Griffin, CP3, Cousins, etc, why would I value anything other than the situation that is most comfortable?  I can't imagine that these players will feel any pressure to win either.  It sucks that we can't even properly scrutinize other superstars because of this competitive imbalance.  Going 6 games against the Warriors will become equivalent to making the Finals. 

Re: How will Warriors and Cavs affect free agency going forward?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 02:56:27 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Point well taken.  But, quickly hide this before Gordy Hayward sees it.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Re: How will Warriors and Cavs affect free agency going forward?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 03:08:37 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Point well taken.  But, quickly hide this before Gordy Hayward sees it.

I feel very fortunate to be a Celtics fan right now.  Hopefully the Brad Stevens factor puts us on the same level with Utah.  Maybe Hayward will value a better chance to make the Finals with all other things being equal.  I also believe that our best sales pitch to free agents is the fact that our window to become a contender is much larger than any other team that isn't there yet.  If Hayward can establish something in Boston then maybe the ultimate payoff will come once he is in his 30's.