Author Topic: Overreaction Theater: What happens to Cavs if Warriors sweep?  (Read 14151 times)

Re: Overreaction Theater: What happens to Cavs if Warriors sweep?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 03:45:17 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
They could try a 3 way trade to get Carmelo....send Love here, we send players/picks to NY

won't happen, but LeBron could throw a temper tantrum and threaten to leave again.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yarpdmjb
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 04:06:27 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
I imagine two ways the Cavs can improve significantly

1) trade Kevin Love for another star who is a better fit against the Warriors. For example, you could flip Love to Indiana for Paul George.  Replace a liability on defense with an elite defender, free Lebron from having to guard KD and allow him to focus on offense. I'd be decently confident rolling out something like Irving-Smith-George-James-Thompson against the Warriors.  Indiana does it because they take a star who is 99% going to leave in a year and replace him with one who still has 3 years left on contract.

2) sign one of Lebron's buddies off the buyout pile on a minimum contract. This would most likely be Carmelo Anthony, or (much less likely) Dwayne Wade.  Melo would take the deal because the Knicks are still paying him anyway.  That said, I'm not sure how this actually makes Cleveland any better given that Melo would just have to take Love's minutes. Maybe they could couple with option 1 and run out a death lineup of Irving-Smith-George-Melo-James and just watch the world burn.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 05:09:53 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
I do fear something like Wade and Melo going to Cleveland on near minimum deals and the league barreling towards a 4th straight finals matchup. I would be done with the NBA for a while if that happened. I would also not entertain any legacy discussions for the players involved (in a positive light) cause that is just a mockery of the league (more than it already is)

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2017, 05:23:27 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2931
I do fear something like Wade and Melo going to Cleveland on near minimum deals and the league barreling towards a 4th straight finals matchup. I would be done with the NBA for a while if that happened. I would also not entertain any legacy discussions for the players involved (in a positive light) cause that is just a mockery of the league (more than it already is)

That'd suck, but I really don't see Carmelo accepting a buyout. I think he'll play out next year, exercise his ETO, then ring chase from there.

I also think it's unlikely that Wade opts out. IIRC, his recent divorce really drained him of money, which is one of the reasons why he was so set to make as much as possible this year. He also already has his three rings, so he's not nearly as desperate as someone like Carmelo.

I could see them revisiting the Love for Carmelo deal this summer, though, even though it doesn't really make sense at this point. Lebron will get what he wants if this series goes badly. I could see them doing something like a Carmelo and Lee for Love and Smith deal.

I'm actually a big Lee fan, and I think he's a much better fit at the 2 there than Smith, all while being a bit cheaper, too. I think Love to Melo is overall a downgrade, but Love has always been the scapegoat of the group.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 05:29:33 PM by jpotter33 »

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 05:58:15 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

That'd suck, but I really don't see Carmelo accepting a buyout. I think he'll play out next year, exercise his ETO, then ring chase from there.

I also think it's unlikely that Wade opts out. IIRC, his recent divorce really drained him of money, which is one of the reasons why he was so set to make as much as possible this year. He also already has his three rings, so he's not nearly as desperate as someone like Carmelo.

I could see them revisiting the Love for Carmelo deal this summer, though, even though it doesn't really make sense at this point. Lebron will get what he wants if this series goes badly. I could see them doing something like a Carmelo and Lee for Love and Smith deal.

I'm actually a big Lee fan, and I think he's a much better fit at the 2 there than Smith, all while being a bit cheaper, too. I think Love to Melo is overall a downgrade, but Love has always been the scapegoat of the group.

wade and gaby divorced? he divorced his first wife about 8yrs ago. she didn't get much money either, it was a messy situation, sadly entertaining though.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2017, 11:41:39 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
So to be clear, I don't really think this will happen, but it is an interesting discussion point (especially averaging one game a week right now). If the Warriors do stay this dominate and do a 4 game sweep what happens to the Cavs? They are already clearly in win now mode as one of the oldest teams in the league. What could they do to get closer to Warriors?

Trade Love?
Let all their old vets go (jefferson, smith, korver, williams, frye)?
Try to get rid of Irving for Paul and Carmelo?

If they do get embarrassed with a sweep would be tough to imagine a summer without major changes.

blow it up! lolololololol
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2017, 11:48:15 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
They'll probably add Melo, Wade, and/or Blake Griffin lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2017, 11:53:28 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Lebron is shown the be correct ....it .is good to be th KIng and be right all the time... :D

;D ;D ;D........HELP. ....I needs sumbody .....helpppppppppppppppp...pleeeeeeeeease.

Shoot ....Lebron is only TWO more stars away from contending!  Imagine that !   Soooo close.

Get dat  man sum HELP already !   ;D

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2017, 11:55:21 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

Paul, Wade and Melo

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2017, 12:11:43 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!

How the hell can they add Melo AND Griffin? They barely have cap space.

Now yeah, maybe Melo, Wade, and another guy on an exception (Gibson?)

I honestly think Love is the odd man out if they get swept. He probably was last season before they came back from 3-1 down.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2017, 12:18:29 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
They should trade Lebron to the Celtics for Brown, Fultz and Brooklyn 2018.

Celtics say no

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2017, 12:41:06 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The NBA won't let a sweep happen, they will give a huge amount of foulshots to the Cavs and get GSW in foul trouble to lengthen the series.   It may be 1 or two games but they are trying to pretend these are two dynasties clashing and marketing that.

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2017, 01:31:32 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
The NBA won't let a sweep happen, they will give a huge amount of foulshots to the Cavs and get GSW in foul trouble to lengthen the series.   It may be 1 or two games but they are trying to pretend these are two dynasties clashing and marketing that.

I agree with this. It's possible that the Warriors play so well in the games that the NBA wants to hand to the Cavs to sweep Cleveland anyway, but I'd be very surprised to see a sweep, and mildly surprised if it doesn't go 6 games.

But if the Cavs get swept, you can bet the narrative will be a ton of finger pointing at LeBron's teammates. He's a phenomenal player, but whenever he doesn't win the title, he's the complete opposite of what a leader is supposed to do - look in the mirror when things go wrong and look out the window (to praise others) when things go well. He'll avoid any blame whatsoever, and publicly and privately blame it on anyone else he can - Lue, the refs, his teammates, etc.

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2017, 01:36:52 PM »

Offline Kaz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 73
I could see Lowry joining the Cavs, sliding Kyrie to SG (or visa versa).

I don't think Melo would be a good fit because he wants the ball in his hands just as much as Kyrie and LeBron.  Wade is plausible, but I don't know how he really feels about the way LeBron left Miami to make a strong case there.

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2017, 01:42:41 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I could see Lowry joining the Cavs, sliding Kyrie to SG (or visa versa).

I don't think Melo would be a good fit because he wants the ball in his hands just as much as Kyrie and LeBron.  Wade is plausible, but I don't know how he really feels about the way LeBron left Miami to make a strong case there.

I don't think Wade is plausible because he can opt-in to a huge contract that he could never get elsewhere, certainly not in Cleveland where they are already into luxury tax.

Melo is another one with a huge contract that financially doesn't fit with Cleveland. As a teammate I am sure LBJ would love it and Melo would conform.