Author Topic: Dynasty Bulls vs Warriors  (Read 4567 times)

Re: Dynasty Bulls vs Warriors
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2017, 09:37:08 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Bulls in 6.  No one can defend Jordan, especially if you can't hand check him.  Jordan would have the Warriors peeing in their pants as he averages 40 ppg.
how do the Bulls get to 120 points per game because that is what it would take to win

Nah, you're selling the defensive acumen of Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, and Harper way short, the true calling card of those Bulls teams.  Those four were all world class defenders who could easily play team defense under today's rules.  They would be a better version of GSW's 'switch everything' defense.
there is no way 34 year old Harper could guard either Curry or Thompson, none at all.  I don't think Pippen could stay with Durant either.  Jordan would do fine on Thompson, but I'm not sure he had the speed to stay with Curry.  Rodman would do fine on Green, but I don't think he could guard Durant and I don't think Jordan had the length to either.  I just don't see the Bulls shutting down Durant or Curry, and given just how good of shooters they are, I see the Warriors easily scoring 110+ every single game under modern rules.  Now with hand checking, muscling up, etc. of the 90's, it would be a much more interesting series, but at the end of the day, I'd take the Warriors shooters every time. 

I don't agree with this assessment at all.

Harper was still a meaningful contributor with the Lakers a couple years later, at the time he was with the Bulls he was still capable of guarding anyone in the league 1-3. Jordan could defend anyone 1-3 as well. Pippen absolutely had the length, athleticism, and agility to guard Durant. Rodman could guard all five positions. Kukoc was the only one who would have problems defensively (Longley would obviously be useless against anyone but Zaza).

Modern rules would make it more difficult, because the Bulls obviously played at a time when three point shooting wasn't en vogue. Bit I have to suspect Jordan, Pippen, Kukoc, Harper, and Kerr would all be capable of shooting the three at a high rate if encouraged to do so.

At the end of the day, I truly believe Jordan would be even scarier in today's NBA. I would never bet against him, under any circumstance.
I didn't say Harper wasn't a good defender I said there was no way he could guard Curry or Thompson.  Those type of players didn't really exist back then.  They aren't your standard guards today let alone 20 years ago.  The Warriors aren't standard players.  Durant especially would pose them problems.  7 footers that move like him didn't exist back then.  The players today are just so much stronger, faster, and well rounded.  There are no equal counterparts from the 90's.  I mean Payton and Stockton were the two best PG's of the decade and they are nothing like Curry. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Dynasty Bulls vs Warriors
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2017, 09:44:07 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Coach Kerr vs Sharp shooter Kerr might cause the space time continuum to crash.
Yup