Author Topic: Dynasty Bulls vs Warriors  (Read 4618 times)

Dynasty Bulls vs Warriors
« on: June 02, 2017, 10:16:30 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I am interested to hear thoughts on this hypothetical match up.  If possible I would like to turn this into a back and forth discussion instead of a thread full of declarations about which team would destroy the other. 

Let's assume we are playing with modern day rules, meaning no hand checking.  For match up reasons alone I would put the 2nd edition of the three peat Bulls up against this years Warriors team.  Feel free to use the first edition of the Bulls if you believe it provides a better series.  I believe that the 96-98 Bulls would have had the right combination of size, length, quickness, and grit to defend the Warriors better than any team currently in the NBA.  With that said, I think the real determining factor would be The Bulls ability to score consistently in the half court against the Warriors defense.  The Warriors would have multiple players to throw at Jordan and the pressure on his supporting cast would be immense.  Scottie would get his points within the flow of the game but ultimately Toni Kukoc would need to consistently score at high volume and efficiency.  I believe his game would benefit significantly with modern rules and that he would score more out of necessity.  Steve Kerr would also need to shoot 45+% on his threes.

Before I go further I would like to hear what everyone else thinks about the matchup. 

Re: Dynasty Bulls vs Warriors
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 10:19:06 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Bulls win

Cavs lack "edge"... They dont have a rodman to harass Durant

Who from GSW can guard Jordan?

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 10:22:11 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
What I would give to see Rodman v. Draymond.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 10:25:13 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Rodman would win that battle

7'7 wingspan. Able to slow Shaq

Dont think Draymond could do that

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 10:27:18 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
Bulls win

The answer is nobody can guard MJ!  The problem is that the Warriors would have enough size and length to double him with the ability to recover and rotate.  Klay, Durant, and Iggy would all be able to share the burden of guarding him.  Jordan would still score 30+ PPG but his reliance on the supporting cast be higher than ever before.  The Warriors would put up enough points from three that the Bulls would need more scoring from the "other guys".   Guys like Kerr, Kukoc, Pippen, and even Harper would need to hit open shots. 

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 10:28:14 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Today's rules = GSW wins. They are built to take advantage of today's rules. 90s Bulls are not.

90s rules = Chicago runs riot over GSW as would vast majority of other previous Champions.

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 10:28:30 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Bulls win

The answer is nobody can guard MJ!  The problem is that the Warriors would have enough size and length to double him with the ability to recover and rotate.  Klay, Durant, and Iggy would all be able to share the burden of guarding him.  Jordan would still score 30+ PPG but his reliance on the supporting cast be higher than ever before.  The Warriors would put up enough points from three that the Bulls would need more scoring from the "other guys".   Guys like Kerr, Kukoc, Pippen, and even Harper would need to hit open shots.

Do you think Coach Kerr advises Brown on how to contain Player Kerr?

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 10:29:05 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I'd root for the Bulls, but they never beat anybody challenging in the EC or the Finals.

I even think those cHeat teams could beat theBulls.

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 10:31:14 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton

Rodman would win that battle

7'7 wingspan. Able to slow Shaq

Dont think Draymond could do that

I agree 100%.  Rodman could get under anyone's skin.  Draymond is accustomed to bullying and trash talking any opponent.  I honestly don't believe Draymond could keep his composure for 7 games against Rodman. 

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 10:33:06 AM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
Today's rules = GSW wins. They are built to take advantage of today's rules. 90s Bulls are not.

90s rules = Chicago runs riot over GSW as would vast majority of other previous Champions.

This. With modern day rules guys like Longley and Wennington would be useless against GS. While I think Jordan would get 40 on any given night, the Bulls wouldn't have enough shooting to keep up with GS.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 10:33:31 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton

I would like to throw in another wrinkle to this argument.  What if Chicago is given a full off-season to review film and adapt to the changes in the modern game?  This means new offensive sets within the triangle and lots of guys working on their three ball.

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 10:36:13 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I would like to throw in another wrinkle to this argument.  What if Chicago is given a full off-season to review film and adapt to the changes in the modern game?  This means new offensive sets within the triangle and lots of guys working on their three ball.

Are you giving them 2017 strength & conditioning also?

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 10:44:03 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton

Great point with your question!  I guess that kind of changes the entire debate.  To make this more interesting let's go ahead and give the Bulls a solid 6 months with modern strength and conditioning.  If we use modern rules then it's more fun to project what the Bulls would be with time to prepare.  If we are throwing that into consideration I believe Ron Harper is able to maintain more of the quickness he had prior to the knee injury.  Kukoc also benefits significantly.  I think Kukoc would be able to score 20+ PPG in the modern NBA at a very efficient level. 

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 11:05:42 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

Do you really think there have been changes in the strength & conditioning fields over the last 20 years that give the Warriors an edge?

I would guess the strength & conditioning the Warriors players are doing is practically identical to what the Bulls players would have done save for personal preferences.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 11:08:17 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Do you really think there have been changes in the strength & conditioning fields over the last 20 years that give the Warriors an edge?

I would guess the strength & conditioning the Warriors players are doing is practically identical to what the Bulls players would have done save for personal preferences.

Sure.  Do you think the 80s Celtics under the strength & conditioning (I'm including nutrition in this) of that day could run with the players in today's NBA?

There's been so pretty big advances in sports science in the past 20-30 years.    You just have to look at these players versus the guys who played 20 years ago to see that.