Author Topic: Cleveland's Adjustments for Game 2  (Read 2154 times)

Cleveland's Adjustments for Game 2
« on: June 02, 2017, 02:06:36 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
While I'm not a fan of either team, it's always nice to have a competitive series, despite the beat down delivered by Golden State last night, so go ahead, fellow armchair coaches and GM's ;D, let's hear your thoughts on the subject. 

I'll begin by saying that, imo, every offensive possession for the Cavs should begin with Kyrie will the ball at the top, who feeds Lebron coming off of a pin down set by Kevin Love.  Given Golden State's affinity for "switching everything," having Durant on Love and Draymond on Lebron takes away from their preferred style of having Green grab the rebound and start the break immediately, while also giving Love a noticeable advantage in terms of weight on KD, thus yielding good post up opportunities and maybe even giving the Cavs the ability to get Durant in foul trouble, but I doubt it.

Also, when Iguodala subs in for Lady Zaza, don't go small - get Love or Thompson the ball against him in the post and let them go to work.

Obviously, Lebron is going to need to drastically cut down on his turnovers and they've got to get something from their bench.  What really hurts them, offensively, imo, is JR Smith's inability to post up.  If he had that skill they could make Curry work inside and/or maybe even get a foul on him (haha yeah right), but as it happens he doesn't possess any such ability, so the only way that he can exploit that matchup is on the boards, given that Thompson is guarding Kyrie.

Other than that, unless the break is just there, don't get into a track meet with the Warriors, as that's what they want, and don't take nearly as many jump shots, as that plays into their hands, as well.  Slow it down, find the matchup you like and/or create one, exploit it as much as possible, and only go to the offensive glass if you have a size advantage against your man, e.g. Smith against Curry and Love/Thompson against Green and Iguodala.   

That's all for now, haha ;D.

Re: Cleveland's Adjustments for Game 2
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 02:26:38 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Dellavedova was really a big loss for the Cavs. LeBron can't guard everyone, and he's lost a step defensively. I don't know who Tristian Thompson can guard on GSW, I guess ZaZa, who isn't an offensive threat. Maybe they can add Shump to the starting line up, but unless the Cavs get some defenders from somewhere they are toast. The Warriors didn't even have a great offensive game for them, they missed a ton of bunnies. Unless Draymond gets himself suspended again I don't think The Cavs have a chance. If healthy, I think The Celtics would've been the better match up for The GSW!

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 08:39:39 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
The Cavs had 20 turnovers. The Warriors had 4.  The Cavs shot 34.9%.  The Warriors shot 42.5%.

Easy to see who won and why.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 09:26:18 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I was really surprised to see the tough D by the Warriors.  They really feed off of Green's aggressiveness.  We need a player like Green.....and KD.

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 09:32:35 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
The Cavs had 20 turnovers. The Warriors had 4.  The Cavs shot 34.9%.  The Warriors shot 42.5%.

A lot of those turnovers were unforced too. As many easy layups as the Warriors missed, they had double digit points scored on plays where the Cleveland defense was so bad that I don't expect those plays to happen again in the series. I think Golden State will probably win another couple games by 20 points, but there will be a couple more games that are much closer/possible Cleveland victories just by fixing those issues.

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 09:41:00 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Cleveland needs Kwai Leonard. Thank god Ainge didn't get emotional and make a trade.

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 09:48:20 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Cavs adjustments?

A labotomy​ and some tights.

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 09:53:08 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Just wait UNTIL Klay shoots BETTER than 3-16 overall and 0-5 from three and has higher than a 1.00 PER for a game!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 09:55:37 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Cavs r doomed

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 10:24:19 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I was really surprised to see the tough D by the Warriors.  They really feed off of Green's aggressiveness.  We need a player like Green.....and KD.

They are pretty dialed in.

A lot like the Spurs were vs the CHeat the year after Pop let it slip away by letting Judas tie them on that buzzer 3.

Warriors remember last year like it was yesterday, and Durant remembers the cHeat beat down he got in the Finals.

Payback is that female dog.

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 10:26:02 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Besides figuring out their turnover problem, they need to slow it down.  Pace killed them last night. I don't care if you have the best player in the world, you can't run with GSW.   

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 10:27:05 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Lebron

Totally folds if they loose this game , he might say different , but his body language is close down the store till next year

He has no energy or desire to give up his body , wear and tear in a losing cause.

He will fold up , soon as he thinks the series is over....... save his body for next year , try and inprove his cas of role players.

Cavs loose ......Lebron goes,on vacstion with Wade and CP3 .....tlaks them into taking smaller. contracts to,come help him

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 10:47:06 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
The first adjustment they need to make (hey JR Smith) is when KD is driving down the middle to the hoop - don't run to cover the 3 pt line and maybe you should try to stop the ball?  :police:

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 10:58:19 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
The first adjustment they need to make (hey JR Smith) is when KD is driving down the middle to the hoop - don't run to cover the 3 pt line and maybe you should try to stop the ball?  :police:

That was hilarious. I guess he thought someone was behind him, but boy was he wrong.

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 11:57:39 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Adjustment #1: stop pooping your pants about GSW's outside shooters. If you get torched by the 3 so be it but don't give up double digits dunks. A 40% chance of a 3 is a lot better than a 100% 2.

Side note: I haven't watched much Durant this year so I completely forgot how tormenting he is on offense... and with all that space it like he's being guarded by a chair.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 12:02:55 PM by GreenCoffeeBean »