Author Topic: It may be up to the Celtics to stop the Warriors  (Read 3266 times)

It may be up to the Celtics to stop the Warriors
« on: June 01, 2017, 11:35:39 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
It looks so far like Cleveland is going to get trounced, and this Warriors all-star team is here to stay. Cleveland has no roster flexibility to improve, and neither do any other contenders really outside of the Celtics and maybe the Spurs.

If the Celtics have that offseason we've all been waiting for, and land those two great players Ainge and Wyc say we need, we could be the team to do it. Wouldn't it be ironic if Durant's run ends against the Celtics? The only other possibility I can see is if CP3 goes to the Spurs.

Re: It may be up to the Celtics to stop the Warriors
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 11:37:20 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I would prefer to go the spurs route of having a deep rotation of young prospects and solid veterans with a few stars. Unless Anthony Davis is available. Butler/George/Griffin isn't going to get it done

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 11:44:27 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
It looks so far like Cleveland is going to get trounced, and this Warriors all-star team is here to stay. Cleveland has no roster flexibility to improve, and neither do any other contenders really outside of the Celtics and maybe the Spurs.

If the Celtics have that offseason we've all been waiting for, and land those two great players Ainge and Wyc say we need, we could be the team to do it. Wouldn't it be ironic if Durant's run ends against the Celtics? The only other possibility I can see is if CP3 goes to the Spurs.

It's one game.

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 11:48:02 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

I guess I don't understand the salary cap.  I mean I know I don't.  We on Celtics blog spend endless hours discussing the cap and how the Celtics can afford or can't afford this guy or those two guys...gotta get rid of Bradley and KO and a bunch of others in order to add Griffin, etc...yadda yards yadda.  Meanwhile the Warriors have 2 former MVP's and two all-stars all in their prime and there's no end in sight?  Are there any cap discussions on the Warriors fan board? 

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 11:51:11 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
with WHAT ?

our good looks ?

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 11:52:27 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
with WHAT ?

our good looks ?

Bingo. This is why Kelly will command the big bucks.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 11:58:12 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
with WHAT ?

our good looks ?

only thing he can command is an army of marshmellows

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 12:10:32 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
with WHAT ?

our good looks ?

Canadian or US ;)? ;D

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 12:10:35 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

I guess I don't understand the salary cap.  I mean I know I don't.  We on Celtics blog spend endless hours discussing the cap and how the Celtics can afford or can't afford this guy or those two guys...gotta get rid of Bradley and KO and a bunch of others in order to add Griffin, etc...yadda yards yadda.  Meanwhile the Warriors have 2 former MVP's and two all-stars all in their prime and there's no end in sight?  Are there any cap discussions on the Warriors fan board?

With Curry and KD expiring this offseason, I don't see how Dubs can keep this core without going deep into luxury tax. I mean, isn't Curry eligible for a 200+M/5yr contract? I assume the GS FO will give him the super max.
- LilRip

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 12:18:06 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I'm basically in the same boat.

My understanding is that the Warriors are able to have what they have because Curry and Klay are still on relatively inexpensive deals.

But I don't understand how GS, with basically 4 stars, is going to be able to keep it together for many years (allegedly) while Boston, which has only 1.5-ish stars (Horford is no longer at all-star level), is apparently gonna have to cut loose half the team if it wants to sign one max player in Hayward?

Is Curry expected to play for only $15-18M a season on his next deal? Is Durant gonna take far less than this year's salary of $26M on his next deal?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 12:20:47 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

With Curry and KD expiring this offseason, I don't see how Dubs can keep this core without going deep into luxury tax. I mean, isn't Curry eligible for a 200+M/5yr contract? I assume the GS FO will give him the super max.
KD is said to be open to a "modest" pay cut in order to help out a bit.

Ya even the Warriors will have these issue...this summer too.

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 12:21:46 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

I'm basically in the same boat.

My understanding is that the Warriors are able to have what they have because Curry and Klay are still on relatively inexpensive deals.

But I don't understand how GS, with basically 4 stars, is going to be able to keep it together for many years (allegedly) while Boston, which has only 1.5-ish stars (Horford is no longer at all-star level), is apparently gonna have to cut loose half the team if it wants to sign one max player in Hayward?

Is Curry expected to play for only $15-18M a season on his next deal? Is Durant gonna take far less than this year's salary of $26M on his next deal?

Durant and Curry will not need the money if they make tons in endorsements that will come if they continue to win. Corporations can frustrate the salary cap by paying stars huge amounts to stay with super teams so that their brand rises and they can transfer that goodwill to the products they endorse.

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 12:31:19 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Has that ever happened, though? And is it a legitimate possibility? I really can't see any NBA player—much less 3 or 4 of them on the same team—taking a significant pay cut for the sake of a particular brand. (Though that's probably a dream of every fan for their team—I mean, I'd love to be able to have IT, Hayward, a future-all-star Fultz and Brown, and a healthy Griffin playing for $15M apiece.)
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 01:45:27 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Will IT and Hayward agree for a discount like 15~M in order to bring another star? (like PG13 when he expire)
IT/Brown/Hayward/PG/AL
bench:Smart/Fulz/KO

will this team compete against GSW? (did they match up well?)

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 01:47:42 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
with WHAT ?

our good looks ?

Canadian or US ;)? ;D

I imagine a new form of currency to be eventually created in the name of Kelly. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC