Author Topic: Rumor: Lakers aren't locked in on Lonzo Ball  (Read 13430 times)

Re: Rumor: Lakers aren't locked in on Lonzo Ball
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 11:31:36 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
That would be something, wouldn't it?  After all this hype & LaVar nonsense, that the Lakers pass on the kid?

The ensuing drama would be fun to watch.

I'm personally torn on what drama I want to see more.

Obviously there's the immediate satisfaction of watching Lonzo's dad have his heart ripped out and crushed while having all the cameras in his face on draft night, and he'll probably give some crazy interviews over the following couple of days too.

But then there's the potential drama if he gets drafted by LA that could provide months and even years worth of drama!  What if Walton tries to bring him off the bench or only plays him 15 minutes one night?  What if he doesn't get along with some of the players?  You just know his dad is going to say something when Ingram or Russell miss a potential game winning shot, something like Ingram/Russell need to defer to Lonzo in situations like that.  When you're a team that's likely to win <30 games, the other players are going to get pretty tired of hearing Lonzo's dad try to coach through the media.  What if the Lakers have to restrict access to Lonzo's dad because Walton/Magic/whoever is sick of Lonzo's dad telling them how to do their jobs.  This all could be fun too, especially if Lonzo doesn't produce!

I feel bad for Lonzo. Everything I've read and watched pegs him as a stand up kid that only cares about winning and succeeding. The only way to punish LaVarr is for Lonzo to fail, and I can't in good conscious root for an 18 year old kid to fail working on accomplishing a dream.

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 11:34:15 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2413
Even if the Lakers had the 1st pick, it seems that Ball is the perfect fit for them. He will change the style of play to ball movement, which Walton is a big advocate for (GS), and make his team mates so much better. He also has a sense of flair, that will get the fan base excited, I return to showtime.

I just can't imagine Magic Johnson not taking Ball.

Disagree.

D'Angelo Russell is already a superior version of what Ball will be in the NBA. Both are two guards with great vision and strong passing ability.

No need for Ball in LA.

See, I feel Russell is more like Fultz, not as good, mind you. He has done a poor job of running the team. They play very selfishly. Ball is very unselfish. I can see how he can transform their offensive.

We don't have that problem, which is why Fultz makes more sense for us.

I don't think either player (Russell, Ball) is able to run a team. I think they are both secondary playmakers that need to play off of another PG.

Ball doesn't have a good enough handle / dribble drive game. He won't be able to attack the defense, force help defenders and find shooters frequently enough to run a team. He needs someone else to do that. Then from that initial action, his shooting / handle / passing ability will shine as a secondary creator.

I think Russell has a similar skill-set. He has been miscast as a PG but will perform better once LAL finds a PG to put alongside him. Free Russell from those duties and allow him to move into more of a secondary role. He will provide more scoring than Ball but also well above average handles and passing for a two guard. 

I think they are similar in many respects. Both two guards who need to play off of a PG. Ball with more passing and Russell with more scoring.

I view LAL's passing game as having two main problems:

(1) Lack of a PG = Russell miscast. Clarkson too selfish to run a team.
(2) Lack of big man (center) passing = too reliant on point of attack from perimeter. Need a big man who can manipulate the play. Not just garbage men.

What I like about LAL's passing game:

(1) Russell at a secondary creator at SG
(2) Randle's ball-handling and passing at PF

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2017, 11:52:53 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2413
If LAL did draft Ball, I'd love to see them start Ball at SF

PG - (new guy) / Clarkson
SG - D.Russell
SF - Ball / Ingram
PF - Deng / Randle
 C - Mozgov

Heck, you could even start Randle at center. He isn't up to much there but then again neither is Mozgov. Go all in on speed and creating mismatches with their quickness.

I'd love to see Ball and Russell together alongside a PG. Overload teams with secondary creators on the wing. Really get that ball moving.

Lineup has flexibility to go bigger when needed. Slide Ingram in there at SF. Or move Deng back to SF and put Randle at PF. Good flexibility but start small and predominantly play with speed, shooting and passing.

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2017, 11:55:26 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Don't want to punish the kid because of his father, but it's be special to see LaVar's reaction if he was drafted by Sac.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2017, 12:02:37 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Don't want to punish the kid because of his father, but it's be special to see LaVar's reaction if he was drafted by Sac.

Wishing that the kid ends up in Sactown hurts the father far more than the kid.

If he is in that basketball Hades with Randive, he will still be getting paid millions of dollars to play something he loves....he'll deal but LaVar will be eating some humble pie.

I've been wanting Sac for awhile now.

I said this on 5/26:

My dream would be for us to take Fultz and for Ball to slip to 5 and rot in Sactown with Randive. It's a stretch, but I can see Fox/Jackson/Tatum taken before him.

That would be sweet!!!

California dreamin', LaVar! ;D
Reply Quote Notify

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2017, 12:04:57 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I agree csfan, dont wish bad upon the kid. Just sayin... dads reaction would be priceless
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2017, 01:01:01 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Those statements sound similar to what Danny was saying, in that their trying to get a bidding war for the #2 pick and determining value.

To me, Lonzo may be the only other lock in this draft. I can't see how Magic doesn't pick a guy, who so closely resembles him as a player. Both phenomenal passers with questionable shooting mechanics, and a sixth sense for making winning plays. I'm guessing Fultz will be like the typical scoring PG in the league today, but I feel like Ball is a once-in-a-generation type of passing PG, that makes the game easier for his teammates.

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2017, 01:22:35 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
Honestly IMO this is a ploy like it is that the Celtics may not be set on Fultz.  Ive felt for months that these two guys go 1-2 because they are the best prospects in the draft.  I feel there is a big margin between Fultz and Ball and another margin between Ball and the rest.  I think 3-8 you will get the same talent level.  A lot of good players in this draft but I think Fultz and Ball are franchise cornerstone players.  Fultz has top 10 NBA potential and Ball has top 20.  Both will be fun to watch and it would be awesome to have Fultz on the Celtics and Ball with the Lakers renewing the rivalry like Bird versus Magic and Paul versus Kobe in the past.  If I liked to Gamble I would bet money they will be 1-2.

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2017, 01:31:01 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 922
Honestly IMO this is a ploy like it is that the Celtics may not be set on Fultz.  Ive felt for months that these two guys go 1-2 because they are the best prospects in the draft.  I feel there is a big margin between Fultz and Ball and another margin between Ball and the rest.  I think 3-8 you will get the same talent level.  A lot of good players in this draft but I think Fultz and Ball are franchise cornerstone players.  Fultz has top 10 NBA potential and Ball has top 20.  Both will be fun to watch and it would be awesome to have Fultz on the Celtics and Ball with the Lakers renewing the rivalry like Bird versus Magic and Paul versus Kobe in the past.  If I liked to Gamble I would bet money they will be 1-2.

Agreed. If the Lakers don't take Ball, it'll be the biggest draft surprise since Kevin Costner took Vontae Mack over Bo Callahan.

Mike

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2017, 01:35:54 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2670
  • bammokja
since there is debate here involving ball, below are some very good analyses that bring up serious questions on his ability to lead the offense for an nba team.

with respect to ball's handle and his ability to finish at the rim, there is a good breakdown in this video: https://fansided.com/2017/05/26/lonzo-ball-scouting-report-finishing/

next up, an analysis on ball's ball handling and ability to beat defenders in a half court setting:
http://fansided.com/2017/05/12/lonzo-ball-handle-shake-nba-draft-scouting-report/

i have seen quite a bit of analysis that questions whether ball can be a strong lead guard in the nba. add to that, his problems on defense and being able to move to the right when shooting, and i am not convinced he is a perennial all star.

i think he might well drop to sacramento in the draft, with LA choosing either jackson or fox.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2017, 01:52:14 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Traditional analytics sell Ball short. LA will design their offense around him.

Very confident LA will draft him.

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2017, 01:56:44 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Agreed. If the Lakers don't take Ball, it'll be the biggest draft surprise since Kevin Costner took Vontae Mack over Bo Callahan.

Mike

Cavs taking Bennet that year was a surprise too wasn't it?

anways, I agree with the posters here, Fultz and Ball are the top two picks this year, but it will be funny to see Lavar's reaction if the Lakers don't draft his son, or better, they draft him and send him somewhere else

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2017, 03:38:08 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Yeah, I actually feel kinda sorry for the lakers here.  I personally would not pick Ball second but they seem to be under some pressure to do just that. 

And the lakers should not be "locked" in on anyone at this point anyway.

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2017, 03:43:39 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
i wanna see the lakers pass on ball just so see lavar's reaction

oh god please let that happen

I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2017, 03:46:18 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
also i just want to say that the espn peeps are cracking me up

when the pro lavar guys are talking about how great he is for his son...

he ALREADY cost lonzo MILLIONS by not letting him sign a shoe deal

and what if he slips in the draft because he didn't work out for other teams? more millions right there

i mean, why not sign the shoe deal (probs 3 years) and THEN it move over to the big ballers brand thing?

I trust Danny Ainge