Author Topic: Rumor: Lakers aren't locked in on Lonzo Ball  (Read 13416 times)

Rumor: Lakers aren't locked in on Lonzo Ball
« on: June 01, 2017, 09:35:00 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Steve Kyler:

With reports surfacing that the LA Lakers and former UCLA guard Lonzo Ball have finalized the details of a workout and face to face meeting in LA next week, there is a growing sense that unless Lonzo absolutely blows the doors off, he may not be the Lakers’ guy. The Lakers are weeks away from needing to make their final decision, but there are many that believe the Lakers could go after both Kansas forward Josh Jackson and Kentucky guard De’Aaron Fox (who made my Mock at 2 this week) with the second overall pick.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/2017-nba-consensus-mock-draft-ver-5-0/

I don't put any stock in this rumor, any more than I trust that the Lakers are infatuated with Ball. The majority of this stuff is somebody with an agenda spreading false information.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Rumor: Lakers aren't locked in on Lonzo Ball
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 09:40:56 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Even if the Lakers had the 1st pick, it seems that Ball is the perfect fit for them. He will change the style of play to ball movement, which Walton is a big advocate for (GS), and make his team mates so much better. He also has a sense of flair, that will get the fan base excited, I return to showtime.

I just can't imagine Magic Johnson not taking Ball.

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 09:42:01 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Magic doesn't strike me as the type of guy to draft a player based on superficial things like being from the hometown and hype. I'm sure he will do his due diligence and go from there.

Given the media swirl around Ball, he's the kind of pick that can give you a very short career as a GM if it doesn't work out.

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 09:59:45 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Even if the Lakers had the 1st pick, it seems that Ball is the perfect fit for them. He will change the style of play to ball movement, which Walton is a big advocate for (GS), and make his team mates so much better. He also has a sense of flair, that will get the fan base excited, I return to showtime.

Why do so many basketball fans equate "PG who gets a lot of assists" with ball movement? Oftentimes, having a ball-dominant pass first PG stifles an offense.

Nobody on the Warriors compares to Ball. In fact, none of the top four teams in assist rate had a pass-first PG (Warriors, Celtics, Nuggets, Bucks). The Rockets are the only team in the top six with a ball dominant PG who gets a lot of assists, and Harden is hardly pass first.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 10:10:41 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
That would be something, wouldn't it?  After all this hype & LaVar nonsense, that the Lakers pass on the kid?

The ensuing drama would be fun to watch. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 10:15:04 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I guess it lines up with the reports that Lonzo was considering a workout with the 76ers at #3.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 10:17:08 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Poor Lavar.... Ball will still remain in the westcoast... Sacramento

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 10:21:12 AM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133
Oh man would I love to see this  ;D

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 10:29:35 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Oh man would I love to see this  ;D

Then Lavar will truly understand the phrase

"Life is like a box of chocolates.."  ;D

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 10:30:54 AM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
I have been saying this from the get go.  The only who has said the Lakers want Ball has been Lavar.  Magic was at the game where Fox out played Ball and word was they wanted a head to head workout, which Lavar will never go for.   Philly shouldn't take hom either as Simmons needs the ball in his hands.  The Lakers could still take him but if not Lavar is going to look like an even bigger fool.   

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 10:45:04 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Why do so many basketball fans equate "PG who gets a lot of assists" with ball movement? Oftentimes, having a ball-dominant pass first PG stifles an offense.

Nobody on the Warriors compares to Ball. In fact, none of the top four teams in assist rate had a pass-first PG (Warriors, Celtics, Nuggets, Bucks). The Rockets are the only team in the top six with a ball dominant PG who gets a lot of assists, and Harden is hardly pass first.

Because I watched him play about 10 games last year. Your criticism sounds like you did not. Ball was anything but ball dominant. In fact one of his trade marks was how quickly he would find the open player as he received a pass.

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 10:51:29 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
That would be something, wouldn't it?  After all this hype & LaVar nonsense, that the Lakers pass on the kid?

The ensuing drama would be fun to watch.

I'm personally torn on what drama I want to see more.

Obviously there's the immediate satisfaction of watching Lonzo's dad have his heart ripped out and crushed while having all the cameras in his face on draft night, and he'll probably give some crazy interviews over the following couple of days too.

But then there's the potential drama if he gets drafted by LA that could provide months and even years worth of drama!  What if Walton tries to bring him off the bench or only plays him 15 minutes one night?  What if he doesn't get along with some of the players?  You just know his dad is going to say something when Ingram or Russell miss a potential game winning shot, something like Ingram/Russell need to defer to Lonzo in situations like that.  When you're a team that's likely to win <30 games, the other players are going to get pretty tired of hearing Lonzo's dad try to coach through the media.  What if the Lakers have to restrict access to Lonzo's dad because Walton/Magic/whoever is sick of Lonzo's dad telling them how to do their jobs.  This all could be fun too, especially if Lonzo doesn't produce!

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 10:55:58 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Disagree.

D'Angelo Russell is already a superior version of what Ball will be in the NBA. Both are two guards with great vision and strong passing ability.

No need for Ball in LA.

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 11:10:19 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
I have no idea why Lonzo wouldn't meet with the Celtics. I prefer Fultz but I get the appeal of Ball.  It just makes no sense to not meet with the team picking first.

I hope the Lakers take Jackson and the Sixers take Fox and Ball falls to at least 4 to Phoenix or Sacto at 5.  That would just be funny.  Even funnier would be the East Coast Mecca that is Orlando.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 11:25:54 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Disagree.

D'Angelo Russell is already a superior version of what Ball will be in the NBA. Both are two guards with great vision and strong passing ability.

No need for Ball in LA.

See, I feel Russell is more like Fultz, not as good, mind you. He has done a poor job of running the team. They play very selfishly. Ball is very unselfish. I can see how he can transform their offensive.

We don't have that problem, which is why Fultz makes more sense for us.