Author Topic: Possibly huge, understated opportunity cost for pursuing Hayward this summer?  (Read 10250 times)

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Who is #5 on your list?
Lol

Kelly Olynyk

Hahaha I'm crying.. tp

I feel like not enough time is being devoted to Olynyk in this thread. I was on the fence about signing KO this off-season, but this changes everything!

TP, because that was exactly what I was coming here to write. Forget the FAs.  Autocorrect has given us a gift: a creative nickname for a player who really needs one. Klynick? Puh-lees. Portmanteaus are so yesterday. We really need to push our new friend, Olynyk.

Mike

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Who is #5 on your list?
Lol

Kelly Olynyk

Hahaha I'm crying.. tp

I feel like not enough time is being devoted to Olynyk in this thread. I was on the fence about signing KO this off-season, but this changes everything!

TP, because that was exactly what I was coming here to write. Forget the FAs.  Autocorrect has given us a gift: a creative nickname for a player who really needs one. Klynick? Puh-lees. Portmanteaus are so yesterday. We really need to push our new friend, Olynyk.

Mike

Back at you - we really need to make the effort to get his new name out there. Seems like the mods are willing to let this one slide, too.

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
The cost of Hayward is 3 of Bradley, Smart, KO and IT. Crowder is too cheap to be a factor here. Those 4 will command contracts that take us into the luxury tax, to sign Hayward we will need to lose 3 of them. To me that's definitely not a price worth paying and hamstrings us in future years.

I'd rather re-sign those 4 and move them when the young guy at their position is deemed good enough to take over

That's not really a fair way of putting it. Why, for instance, would signing Hayward cost IT, Smart and KO? You're arguing that Hayward's $30 million costs $60 million in other players.

Even without Hayward, it's unlikely that we commit $60 million per year to AB, Smart and KO. Why would we?
I wouldn't say it's unlikely at all. We would still be at the low end of the luxury tax but with 3 very tradeable contracts on 3 players who seemingly haven't yet reached their peak.

The reason it can cost more salary than just Hayward's is because of what you would otherwise do with the cap space. Renegotiating Isaiah takes him up to $25.25m which saves about $6m in 18-19 and $7m in 19-20. Hayward in 19-20 is at $33m not $30m which totals $40m. That's not at all far off the total of Smart (12), Bradley (20) and KO (13).

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I doubt the Hayward situation would be drawn out enough to handcuff us for too long.

Hayward knows the coach and he knows the system, so there's no need for a big "get to know you" visit. And I think if he's not seriously interested, he will let the Cs know immediately as a courtesy to Brad Stevens.

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Who is #5 on your list?
Lol

Kelly Olynyk

Hahaha I'm crying.. tp

Mike

Back at you - we really need to make the effort to get his new name out there. Seems like the mods are willing to let this one slide, too.

I don't if you guys are active on Celtics Reddit at all, but that's where the nickname comes from, and presumably the OP got it from there as well.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Even more hilarious is the idea that someone will pay Mirotic, JaMychal Green, or Olynyk $20 million a season.

This is a lock to happen.  According to this site ( http://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/245546/The-Maximum-Available-2017-Cap-Space-For-All-30-NBA-Teams-Version-50) like a million teams can have tons of cap room if they choose to.
Looking at the "Maximum Cap Space" number implies that you expect teams to renounce a bunch of their options so that they can throw $20 million at guys like Mirotic and Green. This is indeed hilarious - no one will go the extra mile to throw unreasonably large amount of money at mediocre players.

Eyeballing the more realistic "projected cap space" column, I'm seeing perhaps three teams that will have $20 million in cap space.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I would love to see Mirotic on this team. I think he would do really well under CBS.
Why? He's pretty much a shorter, inferior version of Kelly Olynyk that can't stay healthy.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Who is #5 on your list?
Lol

Kelly Olynyk

Hahaha I'm crying.. tp

Mike

you're probably good on that topic until you bring up Maple Syrup   :o

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Who is #5 on your list?
Lol

Kelly Olynyk

Hahaha I'm crying.. tp

Mike

I don't if you guys are active on Celtics Reddit at all, but that's where the nickname comes from, and presumably the OP got it from there as well.

I'm not, and that makes it kind of sad. I was really hoping that it was autocorrect.

Maybe I'll just invent a new word for his nickname. Something difficult to spell and pronounce correctly, kind of like his last name. Something catchy. Hmm, how about something like "Covfefe."

Mike

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I doubt the Hayward situation would be drawn out enough to handcuff us for too long.

Hayward knows the coach and he knows the system, so there's no need for a big "get to know you" visit. And I think if he's not seriously interested, he will let the Cs know immediately as a courtesy to Brad Stevens.

Clearly you were wrong on this one.  Some reports are saying that he's not even visiting Boston until Tuesday.  You're killing me, Smalls!

I started this thread a few weeks ago because I was afraid Hayward was going to do a free agent "tour" over the course of several days, drawing out his decision process.

Doesn't this severely impact us?  Other players we could potentially sign will have already committed to another team by the time Gordon decides.  And then if he ultimately chooses another team, we are totally pooched.

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Clearly you were wrong on this one.  Some reports are saying that he's not even visiting Boston until Tuesday.  You're killing me, Smalls!

I started this thread a few weeks ago because I was afraid Hayward was going to do a free agent "tour" over the course of several days, drawing out his decision process.

Doesn't this severely impact us?  Other players we could potentially sign will have already committed to another team by the time Gordon decides.  And then if he ultimately chooses another team, we are totally pooched.
Hayward said he would make a decision quickly after the meetings.  I don't expect a long drawn-out process.

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I don't believe that Griffin will sign for $25 million but for the full $29.7 million. Salaries always seem to be higher than we think or they deserve.

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
Who is #5 on your list?
Lol

Kelly Olynyk

Hahaha I'm crying.. tp

Mike

I'm stunned that a website that censors the word [dang] is willing to allow the nickname Olynyk to be tossed around with impunity.

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Hayward said he would make a decision quickly after the meetings.  I don't expect a long drawn-out process.

The fact that we are last on his meeting list already means it's a long, drawn out process. 

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
From everything that I have read, Hayward is the Celtics #1 target. However, when is Danny scheduled to meet with him. Is it really Tuesday? I also read that Utah will get the last chance to speak to Hayward.

Assuming Tuesday is correct regarding Danny's interview with Hayward, what are the Celtics plans when free agency starts on Saturday? Will they call Blake Griffin to express interest and schedule a date to meet?

Will Indiana be patient enough to wait on the Hayward decision too. As free agents sign, maybe Indiana panics and trades George to another team.